How does GAC matchmaking work?

I took a little under a year off from the game and was wondering if someone could explain to me (or point me towards a post about) how GAC matchmaking works. I've been matched with people of very different GP's than my own (I'm about 3.4m, so in the middle of the division), and with way more relic characters than me. I've heard that matchmaking takes into account GP of your top toons and relic characters but it seems to be inconsistent about this. Thanks!

Replies

• Options
    You are matched on the GP of your top {x} characters where x = number of defensive squads x 5 toons x 2 (for offense + defense)

Be wary of gathering too much power (and GP) in too few squads. Try to build and maintain a mix of squad capabilities and strengths.
  • Options
    Hi, provably it's been answered somewhere but i have a GP of 4.95 and the current GAC shows i am in Division 1 (which is 4.5+). Why is this? I have rearranged mods and toons to be around 4.9 so i can be Division 2. Recently i have upgraded ans reliced 501s and GAS. But that should push me to a higher division if the separation is based on GP?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Hi, provably it's been answered somewhere but i have a GP of 4.95 and the current GAC shows i am in Division 1 (which is 4.5+). Why is this?
    Sober up and re-read what you wrote.
  • Options
    My bad. I always miss one digit. I am 4.489 less than 4.5. why am i being placed in Division 1?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Your division for the GAC is assigned before the GAC opens so maybe that already happened before you shuffled mods around.
  • Options
    I have been doing Grand Arena since the start,....never got 1st or 2nd place,....Always have the LOWEST GP in all the matches,....Very disappointed,... for almost the 2 years we have been doing the Gr. Arena,...
    I would like to see matches to near equal GP,....current match, 3-21-2020, my GP is 4.6mil all others are .5million to almost 1 million higher GP than myself,....the highest GP in my current (3-22-2020) match is 5.4million GP to my 4.6million GP,....I can't win (unless they choose NOT to engage),..crappy matching,...just try matching closest GP for a couple of months and see the players reaction.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    @GrampaT76 you should read the second post in this thread. It will clarify how matchmaking works for you.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    I have read it,....I know of the complex way that EA is now trying to match fairly,...I have been in ALL the GAs since the beginning and it simply is not working better than before they had changed it,... I simply would like to know and SEE a similar opponents GP to my GP as I go into battle.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Your total GP is irrelevant.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    GrampaT76 wrote: »
    I have read it,....I know of the complex way that EA is now trying to match fairly,...I have been in ALL the GAs since the beginning and it simply is not working better than before they had changed it,...

I disagree. Since the introduction of GAC with its matching by top-X GP and the removal of cross-division/league matches the matches are far more even than before.

My win rate is almost the same as before this change, but the matches are far more even.

• Options
    Rosters with GLs should not be paired with rosters w/o GLs. It's impossible to win unless the opponent really slips, and even then you have to micromanage to an unhealthy degree. I feel bad for the people who play this game and put the time in to level up toons they like rather than the few specific teams that are relevant in GAC. Like me. I feel bad for me. Everybody should feel bad for me....and give me stun guns.
  • Options
    And a necro poster of the month medal
  • Options
    And a necro poster of the month medal

Missed a year by about 25 days. That's too bad - it would have been an all-timer.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Took me right back to the worst part of the last year too, the start of the end of the world as we knew it.