An Idea to limit RNG

I just gave up on the Clash event, there were too many things that could go wrong and end my run (they focus down B1 or B2, Echo stun, full TM 50/50) and I know I'm not the only who was very frustrated by this event.
To limit RNG and give players a real sense of if a battle is possible would be to have the AI always make the same choice. If the AI always does the same thing, you can plan (strategy) and see where you need to improve and get a sense of how far you are from being able to get the win. There would still be RNG in critical chance, debuffs landing, evasion etc. TM 50/50 should always favor the player to limit frustration: having B2 at full TM but the whole other team attacks and wastes his TM gain is annoying.
Another method I think would provide even more strategy would be to let the player control the AI. You might be limited in your choices (like must use this ability when it's available, or must attack your team based on their role (attacker if available, otherwise support, then tank)). Obviously, this would require a lot more work upfront for CG to balance all their content but it'd be easy to use after that.
Either way, a little more predictability would help ease the frustration. I understand that frustration makes people spend, but that doesn't seem like a business model that builds loyalty and maybe they could find a different way to encourage spending, like your guildmates get a small gift when you buy a pack.

Replies

• Options
    No.
  • Hortus
    623 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    The thing which I'd really like to see is to let player (and AI) choose which toon to play when several ones sits at full TM instead of using random.

But speaking on event difficulty - if you can't beat the event without very much random then you just aren't prepared enough. There are no individual events in the game which can't be beaten with certain party composition, gear level, mods and strategy. You can try to beat it with suboptimal squads but it's your own choice.

Personally I'd prefer events designed more like chess that roulette with preloaded turn meters, etc. But in that case events actually will become more difficult because without random winning with suboptimal squads (which most people actually use) would be completely impossible.
  • Options
    Hortus wrote: »

Personally I'd prefer events designed more like chess that roulette with preloaded turn meters, etc. But in that case events actually will become more difficult because without random winning with suboptimal squads (which most people actually use) would be completely impossible.

Yes, they would be more difficult but much less frustrating. If you see people beating an event with much lower gear levels, you will feel you can do it too and spend hours frustrating yourself. You might be getting beat bad,but we've all experienced getting destroyed one try and flying through on your hundredth try (not because you had been slowly learning but just from everything aligning perfectly in your favor).

If you get crushed every time you try with no chance of winning, you'll realize you're not ready. Probably events would need to up their requirements, which further limits frustration (other than the frustration of not getting gear fast enough).
  • Options
    I modded correctly and did it in about 15 tries. Maybe you were just undergeared?
  • Options
    Yes, I was under geared. I needed about 200 more carbanti and stun guns and had already spent too many crystals on the event. I've beaten past events under geared because it's possible with the right luck. I'd rather it was almost a guaranteed win with the right gear and strategy and impossible if you're under geared. That means I would have had to gear up bounty hunters and ewoks more but once I had I would have gotten through the event in a few minutes. However, if I can do the event without spending more resources I will try to do so. In the case of this even, I'd rather spend the resources on Gen Sky and clones than droids.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    If AI was fixed then it would be much harder for the players to win
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I'd rather it was almost a guaranteed win with the right gear and strategy and impossible if you're under geared.

Since you can learn the winning strategy from a guide what you are suggesting would pretty much be like simming the event. If the gear is above a certain threshold you win - otherwise you lose.

It's a "No" from me.
  • Options
    It wouldn't be possible under geared, so you wouldn't waste time hoping for everything to go your way, you'd see what you need to improve to win the fight.
    In this event, my B2 died too easily, so I might bring it to relics only to find I'm not doing damage fast enough, so I might work on B1 only to get a run of attempts where they smash my B1s relentlessly. That's frustrating.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I'm not sure the player base would like this. RNG is what allows players to complete things like this at varying levels of preparedness.

If the battle was fixed on the AI side the level you would need would be much more of a hard line.
  • Options
    No.

This.

To expand, I watched a video about P4 (it's just Ian) and tried maybe 8 times
    Rechecked his mods, did it next try.

Learn from others or just out gear the event. Whichever works for you. What you are currently doing doesn't seem to work so well.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, I was under geared.

Gear + mods = limiting RNG
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    It wouldn't be possible under geared, so you wouldn't waste time hoping for everything to go your way, you'd see what you need to improve to win the fight.
    In this event, my B2 died too easily, so I might bring it to relics only to find I'm not doing damage fast enough, so I might work on B1 only to get a run of attempts where they smash my B1s relentlessly. That's frustrating.

So you're suggesting taking the recommended levels that people get outraged about and turning them into gated requirements that people have been getting outraged about? People didn't like the GP requirement, many dislike the Relic requirements for the GL's, what you're asking for is more of that to then have an event that you are guaranteed to win, so that people can complain about not having any content because there's no challenge.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Yes, I was under geared.

Gear + mods /= limiting RNG as the OP is suggesting.

If you are properly geared and modded you limit the RNG. That's all I'm saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yes, I was under geared.

If you are properly geared and modded you limit the RNG. That's all I'm saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then you’re not understanding what RNG is, particularly in relation to OP.

RNG, in regards to the OP is the randomness of the AI actions. Having your team at all r7 and the right god mods does not change the AIs randomness one little bit, all it does is lessen the effect that randomness has on you.

What you’re saying makes sense for most of these types of “I can’t beat this event, it’s too hard and I’m undergeared” threads.

This one is different though and OP is suggesting actually removing or limiting the randomness from the AI altogether.

I'm responding to the part where OP gave up on the event because "too much went wrong."

The rest, let's just say "ok."
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, I was under geared.

Then you’re not understanding what RNG is, particularly in relation to OP.

RNG, in regards to the OP is the randomness of the AI actions. Having your team at all r7 and the right god mods does not change the AIs randomness one little bit, all it does is lessen the effect that randomness has on you.

What you’re saying makes sense for most of these types of “I can’t beat this event, it’s too hard and I’m undergeared” threads.

This one is different though and OP is suggesting actually removing or limiting the randomness from the AI altogether.

I'm responding to the part where OP gave up on the event because "too much went wrong."

The rest, let's just say "ok."

Ah the ole, I couldn’t care less what you have to say, “ok”. At least it’s better than “K”

or is it