Why is Holdo not a Leader?

Krashxxxx
226 posts Member
edited April 2020
Every other capital ship captain has a leadership ability. The resistance is in serious need of another good leadership ability since they nerfed Finn's lead. Poe's lead is less than useless. Not to mention I'm pretty sure almost every ship captain in history is considered a leader. Other than pure laziness is there another reason Holdo can't be a leader?
Post edited by Krashxxxx on

Replies

• TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Holdo
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Edited
  • Options
    What where you saying about Finn's lead again?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV6fIqTdZgE
    Seriously, Finn's lead is still and has always been amazing. Even after his rework. It's just that he didn't really have a team that could really use his lead to the fullest. It's the old Poe that needs a rework. Or at least a touch up that gives him 100% chance to expose with his special and recover protection with his unique.
    Having said that, I do kinda like the idea of Holdo gaining a lead. Helps her capital ship and does bring more options. Not to mention Light side fleet commanders do overall have a disadvantage compared to dark side fleet commanders. I mean all dark side fleet commanders have 5 ability's and all but 1 have 2 zeta's. With only Hux having 1 zeta. The light side thou has 2 zeta's in total among them all and many have only 4 ability's. Kinda unbalanced in stats provided to the ships.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    If you've seen TLJ you know why she's not a leader.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    Kisakee wrote: »

Yep, because leaders don't sacrifice themselves to save everyone else. Definitely not.
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Yep, because leaders don't sacrifice themselves to save everyone else. Definitely not.

Yeah, they’re usually standing in the back sending in everyone else to die.

Oh wait, you’re talking about Star Wars, nvm.

(*cue 20 pages of arguing military tactics in a space wizard movie*)
  • Brc333
    30 posts Member
    Options
    She should definitely be a leader.
  • Options
    Krashxxxx wrote: »
    Every other capital ship captain has a leadership ability. The resistance is in serious need of another good leadership ability since they nerfed Finn's lead. Poe's lead is less than useless. Not to mention I'm pretty sure almost every ship captain in history is considered a leader. Other than pure laziness is there another reason Holdo can't be a leader?

If we are being honest, she didn't really act like a leader in the 8th movie. She basically just kept her entire crew in the dark about her escape plan, to the point where they literally led a mutiny against her.
  • Options

To be honest I don't think that she even did anything useful in the movie...

Maybe if she actually lead the team as a leader-type figure, instead of going off on her own and keeping her crew in the dark in regards to her plan, she would be acknowledgeable as a leader.

She didn't lead anyone. She just made all the decisions and never told anyone about them. Seriously... there was absolutely NO reason why she couldn't have just told her crew about her plan in the first place... and yet she just ignored every question involving her plan.
  • Options
    ZAP wrote: »

Yeah, they’re usually standing in the back sending in everyone else to die.

Oh wait, you’re talking about Star Wars, nvm.

No, leaders WORK TOGETHER with their team to accomplish what is best for the entire team.

Instead of doing that, Holdo decided that she wouldn't tell anyone about her plan to save her crew. There was literally no point in doing this; there was no reason for her to withhold that information at all. Even if their were somehow spies on board, she could have just told the most trustworthy crew members about the plan. She didn't even bother working with her team, she just kept them in the dark the entire time.

Also, that sacrificing thing shouldn't have even happened. Hyperspace isn't a weapon, and George Lucas was extremely carful to make sure that it wasn't a weapon in any of his movies. Rian Johnson didn't get the memo. The problem with using it as a weapon is that it KILLS the suspense of every other space fight in the entire franchise.

Because hyperspace was used as a weapon once, there is now no reason at all why the Separatist, Galactic Republic, Rebel, and Empire warships couldn't have just done the same.
    "Oh no, the Separatists just brought an entire fleet to Coruscant! Oh wait, I forgot! Lets just take one of our big ships and yeet through their entire fleet!"

As you can see, this was no true act of heroism. It was just Rian Johnson (who by the way is the same director who starts hating on Empire Strikes Back whenever the poor ratings of TLJ are brought up in an interview) and his complete lack of Star Wars knowledge.
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options

Maybe if she actually lead the team as a leader-type figure, instead of going off on her own and keeping her crew in the dark in regards to her plan, she would be acknowledgeable as a leader.

She didn't lead anyone. She just made all the decisions and never told anyone about them. Seriously... there was absolutely NO reason why she couldn't have just told her crew about her plan in the first place... and yet she just ignored every question involving her plan.

You got the point.

With her being a good leader there would have been no mutiny and the whole plot of the film would have gone "POOF". If you have to write a bad role to make a bad story you know that your script just blows..
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • TVF
    36603 posts Member
    Options
    (reminds self to not open this thread in the future)
  • Options

You got the point.

With her being a good leader there would have been no mutiny and the whole plot of the film would have gone "POOF". If you have to write a bad role to make a bad story you know that your script just blows..

HERE IS A BETTER STORY THAN TLJ, JUST TO MAKE A POINT:

If you take out Holdo and the mutiny stuff and replace it with some ACTUAL Jedi training for Rey, the plot would have been so much better. And not that "oh look at me i'm gonna wave around Luke's lightsaber like a child for 2 minutes and suddenly i'm super op" trash, I mean ACTUAL TRAINING, like in Empire Strikes Back.

Obviously they would have had to delete the whole Krait scene in order to make things work, but whatever it was a bootleg copy of Hoth anyways.

Snoke dying at the end of the movie would make his death seem much less abrupt and random anyways. Who knows? Maybe Rian Johnson could have even actually given Snoke a backstory instead of leaving that burden to JJ Abrams during the filming of the 9th movie. Or even better, DON'T KILL OFF A MAJOR CHARACTER LIKE SNOKE JUST TO MAKE THE PLOT WORK!

There. I revised the plot of TLJ to make it much better. Obviously I am not a miracle worker, but this is all I could think of in the 5 minutes I had. Yes, I just made a much better plot in 5 minutes. SHOUTOUT TO RIAN JOHNSON AND HIS TRASH TLJ PLOT!!!
  • Options

You got the point.

Follow-up to my above post, the ENTIRE 8th MOVIE could have just been deleted and summarized in the opening crawl for the 9th film. Snoke would probably have to be killed off in the 9th film then so his death isn't so abrupt.

Or maybe Snoke wouldn't even be killed off in the beginning of the 9th film, allowing for a much more original villain than Palpatine, whom George Lucas himself expressed to be one of the only characters who was never ever supposed to be revived in a sequel trilogy.

Look, Snoke would've been a MUCH BETTER villain than Palpatine. There is no point in bringing back the most powerful Sith lord to ever exist just to have them make empty threats and be killed off in the same movie they are re-introduced. Palpatine was basically just brought back to add another person to Rey's kill count.