Droid Ships

thomssi
526 posts Member
Why does Hyena bomber get droid tag and Y-Wing does not. Neither have pilots (unless unnamed in which case both appear to have cockpits so should be both or neither).

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Hyena Bomber is an automated starfighter. Y-wing is piloted.

You can look it up on starwars.com
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Was just looking at the model for Hyena, certainly looks like one of those humps is a cockpit. Anyway, point was not any expectation just trying to get full sep/droid team for Malev.
  • Options
    thomssi wrote: »
    Why does Hyena bomber get droid tag and Y-Wing does not. Neither have pilots (unless unnamed in which case both appear to have cockpits so should be both or neither).

Hyena bomber was a droid basically, there is non cockpit in there just a droid itself.
    Now the Y-wings did indeed have pilots which was a clone but they decided to not add them and have them with out a pilot, so people wouldn't have to sink in resources into getting a pilot up and running at relic 7 for a ship and that pilot would probably have ended up being terrible anyways, look at the rebel ships, all their pilot suck except han and chewie obviously.
    I mean who needs Bistan or the cassian U wing crew anymore. Or wedge and biggs. Or even admiral ackbar, yes they had a purpose in game once up on time but now at best they are a c team material and just inflate you're GP.

I hope all new ships and at some point we will have vehicles in game and they are all crew less, but then again that would make the game tasteless and everyone would go up against the same ship with the same dps, hp, and speed, so if they want to make it crew less they need to add mods for the ships, in a separate mode with it's own energy

Please no vehicles. They are just starting to make ships better.
  • Options

Hyena bomber was a droid basically, there is non cockpit in there just a droid itself.
    Now the Y-wings did indeed have pilots which was a clone but they decided to not add them and have them with out a pilot, so people wouldn't have to sink in resources into getting a pilot up and running at relic 7 for a ship and that pilot would probably have ended up being terrible anyways, look at the rebel ships, all their pilot suck except han and chewie obviously.
    I mean who needs Bistan or the cassian U wing crew anymore. Or wedge and biggs. Or even admiral ackbar, yes they had a purpose in game once up on time but now at best they are a c team material and just inflate you're GP.

I hope all new ships and at some point we will have vehicles in game and they are all crew less, but then again that would make the game tasteless and everyone would go up against the same ship with the same dps, hp, and speed, so if they want to make it crew less they need to add mods for the ships, in a separate mode with it's own energy

Please no vehicles. They are just starting to make ships better.

CG said they wanted to add vehicles themselves, and honestly why not it would be another way of making Crystal's, gear and farming characters on different energy and nodes

I know. That’s what worries me most. I have no faith that vehicles will be a good game mode when ships are still as they are.

Ships have been in the game for a long time and to me this is the most energy they have ever put in them. That does not give me confidence for vehicles at all.
  • Options
    I was thinking differently: I think all "crewful" ships should remain "crewful" (and Y-wing should get a crew member or 3), but instead the ships should be unlockable and usable without the crew, and the crew-based abilities would be unlocked when the crew member is unlocked and geared this will speed up adoption of ships and players can have access to the ships earlier eventually catching up on the crew-based abilities.
  • thecarterologist958
    1111 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    gunnymeden wrote: »
    I was thinking differently: I think all "crewful" ships should remain "crewful" (and Y-wing should get a crew member or 3), but instead the ships should be unlockable and usable without the crew, and the crew-based abilities would be unlocked when the crew member is unlocked and geared this will speed up adoption of ships and players can have access to the ships earlier eventually catching up on the crew-based abilities.

This is almost identical to what we have now barring the fact that you want to force people to gear up more pointless characters to be able to compete in ships. The only difference is you don't have to unlock the character, but that would just make the ship less viable than it is with a G1 character, which is to say not at all.
  • Options

This is almost identical to what we have now barring the fact that you want to force people to gear up more pointless characters to be able to compete in ships. The only difference is you don't have to unlock the character, but that would just make the ship less viable than it is with a G1 character, which is to say not at all.

So the problem is really fixing / updating the characters, so people in my scenario would be incentivized to unlock the corresponding ship abilities. Not quite identical to what we have, anyway. If the developers want players to engage with the ships more, this would make the ships accessible earlier.
  • Options
    Personally I'd prefer the game to go with cannon as closely as possible.
    If a droid is "plugged in" to a ship (e.g. R2-D2 with Anakin's starfighter, R2-Q2 with Biggs' X-wing or BB-8 with Poe) it functions as a core system; monitoring flight performance, pinpointing and correcting technical problems etc.

However since astromechs can manually pilot starfighters I'll assume that the republic Y-wing in game is unmanned and that the unnamed droid is the pilot (hence the astromech advantage ability name).
    Thus it functions crewlessly and identically to the other droid ships.
    So it should probably have the droid tag.

But balancing and resource issues determine it gets neither the tag or the crew.
  • Options

So the problem is really fixing / updating the characters, so people in my scenario would be incentivized to unlock the corresponding ship abilities. Not quite identical to what we have, anyway. If the developers want players to engage with the ships more, this would make the ships accessible earlier.

That is what almost means, well done. However what you have there is an entirely separate and better suggestion, though I still don't know why you would want new ships to require a character to be good, it directly opposes your suggestion regarding making them easily accessible.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    Was just looking at the model for Hyena, certainly looks like one of those humps is a cockpit. Anyway, point was not any expectation just trying to get full sep/droid team for Malev.

Three geonosians and three droids. Sure, you need one more ship to fill things out completely but from a practical standpoint you'll be drowning in Vulture Droids thanks to Malevolence's unique. (or you could keep Malevolence at 6*, lol! That's some out of the box thinking!)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    Options
    NicWester wrote: »

Three geonosians and three droids. Sure, you need one more ship to fill things out completely but from a practical standpoint you'll be drowning in Vulture Droids thanks to Malevolence's unique. (or you could keep Malevolence at 6*, lol! That's some out of the box thinking!)

Either current solution messes with my OCD.

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Options
    You don't have OCD.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options

That is what almost means, well done. However what you have there is an entirely separate and better suggestion, though I still don't know why you would want new ships to require a character to be good, it directly opposes your suggestion regarding making them easily accessible.

I am talking specifically of Y-wing as it's not a droid ship as has been suggested. In the shows it was piloted by clones, so if you stay closer to the "cannon" or "fandom", it should have pilot(s). I don't mind Y-wing as it is, it's quite good actually, but it could become even better on top of what it has already with crew. I understand the argument elsewhere in the thread that many ships were piloted technically at the point in time by droids (R2, Chopper, or a BB8-like unit) without a meatbag crew member, we should not call these ships droids. Call it "ship's ultimate ability if you will" :) once a crew member is unlocked, but, anyway... None that any of this matters though as it's probably won't happen.
  • Options
    I am talking specifically of Y-wing as it's not a droid ship as has been suggested. In the shows it was piloted by clones, so if you stay closer to the "cannon" or "fandom", it should have pilot(s). I don't mind Y-wing as it is, it's quite good actually, but it could become even better on top of what it has already with crew. I understand the argument elsewhere in the thread that many ships were piloted technically at the point in time by droids (R2, Chopper, or a BB8-like unit) without a meatbag crew member, we should not call these ships droids. Call it "ship's ultimate ability if you will" :) once a crew member is unlocked, but, anyway... None that any of this matters though as it's probably won't happen.

Saying the Y-wing needs pilot(s) is saying we need more unnecessary characters to work on, whether it's a droid ship or not. Adding a pilot wouldn't make it better as the pilotless ships have been weighted to make the ships equivalent to relics, so adding a character isn't a "ship ultimate ability", it's a direct nerf until you relic someone. Pilotless ships are one of the nicest things CG has done for us in recent memory, and I can't work out why people would suggest throwing that away, even if it's closer to cannon. Enjoy the free relic and please don't complain to give them reason to take it back.
  • Options

Saying the Y-wing needs pilot(s) is saying we need more unnecessary characters to work on, whether it's a droid ship or not. Adding a pilot wouldn't make it better as the pilotless ships have been weighted to make the ships equivalent to relics, so adding a character isn't a "ship ultimate ability", it's a direct nerf until you relic someone. Pilotless ships are one of the nicest things CG has done for us in recent memory, and I can't work out why people would suggest throwing that away, even if it's closer to cannon. Enjoy the free relic and please don't complain to give them reason to take it back.

Well make the characters not unnecessary ;) Anyway, I think we are taking this discussion gradually into two very different directions, so I will stop here for now with our mutual right to disagree on details :)
  • Options

Well make the characters not unnecessary ;) Anyway, I think we are taking this discussion gradually into two very different directions, so I will stop here for now with our mutual right to disagree on details :)

I look forward to the day CG does that for everyone... Fair enough, regardless of what we think CG will do as it does.