So, I'm a mostly free player. What I mean by that is if I play a free game and enjoy it, I throw in a little money here and there to help pay for what I'm enjoying. For example, after a couple weeks, I bought a $5 crystal delivery thing because I'm having fun. I'll never be spending $100, $50, or even $20 a pop because I'm married with 3 young kids, and we're trying to save up for a new house. I just can't afford that on this type of game. Also, buying things like the heroine pack or TFA Ultimate pack or whatever pack kind of defeats the purpose for me. I want to play the game and feel like I'm making progress. I don't want it to be over quickly. I don't begrudge those who do. It's their choice. Go spend and have fun. It's just not for me and takes away from my game experience. I'll take slow, steady progress. So far, that's what I've been getting.
Here's 4 things that I've been frustrated with, however.
1. I got a 4 star Barriss from a bronze pack. Don't care that she got nerfed. She was OP, and even after the nerf, I still use her. She's still hands down my best leader. But my point is, as soon as I got her and started getting into fights with other Barriss teams in the arena, about 50% of my battles ended in draws. My team was Barris, Chewie, Sidious, Luminara, and Talia. (2 healers, 2 attackers, 1 tank). One fight in particular annoyed me. I had 2 seconds left. I hit attack, hit and killed my last enemy, but time ran out while my toon was doing the attack animation and I was given a draw. All 5 of my toons were still alive and at near full health even. And it was a draw? Most of my draws end when I've got my opponent completely beaten. There's no question who's going to win when time just runs out. Now, I'm working on altering my team in ways that add more DPS to fix the issue and I think I'm on the right track. But still, one thing that eats up a lot of my time in fights is attack animations, especially when I go up against Dancing Dooku (that's what I call him). Beating him isn't the issue. But all his counter attack/bonus attack animations eat up TONS of time. I've looked for a way to speed up or even turn off animations in the options, but I can't find anything. Any chance that could be looked at? You could just add a minute to the time limit, and that would solve the problem too.
2. I'm curious how Galactic War match-ups get made. For example, today, my 3rd to last match with my level 50 squad was verses...52 3* Phasma, 50 4* Maul, 45 4* Barriss, 52 4* Vader, 52 4* Kylo Ren. That level 45 Barriss doesn't even matter. He could fight me with the other 4 toons and completely destroy me. He wouldn't even lose a single toon. It wouldn't even be close. I'm guessing the match-ups are based on total team value or something? If so, that 45 Barriss brings his total team value down but completely misrepresents the quality of his team. It's a fight I absolutely have no hope of winning if I throw every character I have at him. I got slaughtered.
3. Any chance of getting some kind of test arena so we can try out different team combinations without having to spend resources (energy/pvp tries/etc.)? Would make the game more fun to have a test ground to see how abilities and team members interact. Would also let me do something meaningful in the game when I'm out of resources. Maybe I could test my squad against the squads of those on my Allies list? Would make my Allies more meaningful rather than just random people I invited to reach the number I needed for the achievement.
4. I've only fought Kylo Ren once besides today's galactic war, but he really ruined me in the galactic war the day before as well and that one was lower level/gear quality (still 4* though). He seems like Sidious (heal immunity..but only 40% at first...bet that can be upgraded) and Dooku (100% counter attack for 1 turn after using Lash Out...at least, I think that's what Retribution is) with a 25% chance to refresh cooldowns every time he takes damage (bet that can be leveled up as well). And he's up for sale for $100. It really looks like a character that will end up getting nerfed, and it looks like another Barriss situation all over again. Is he the only toon with 4 abilities that can be used even if he is not the leader? He has 4 abilities but none of them are a leader ability. He seems very powerful when compared to other toons. However, as stated above, I'm not about to pay for him no matter how good he is, and I don't have him so I can't play with him. Maybe he's not as bad as he looks or my limited combat experience against him seems to suggest. But if he is, Kylo and Barriss are disturbing trends.
That's it. Having fun. Looking forward to more fun.
P.S. One more thing I just thought of. Any way to change my name? One of my kids was trying to get my attention when I first started playing, and I just clicked through and took the default. Serves me right for not paying attention, but if there was a way to spend 50 or 100 crystals to allow me to change my name, that would be cool. Of course, free would be better, but I'm willing to accept some penalty for not paying attention.
@Krey as for your posti have some opinion:
1. Your team is overly defensive, i would dump talia and chewie for some other farmable damagedealers
2. We all have occasianally bad machups, usually the other day you get an easier run
3. Sounds cool, but the dev do not want you to play "too much" with this game, cause you would get bored faster
4. I have no problem with Kylo, if you get more dmg neither will you
Pretty good collection of characters so far and GROWING
great suggestion ^
1. I started to have the same problem with the arena. I fixed it by putting it on auto as soon as I knew I was winning big. We all know how much faster auto is relative to manual.
2 I have no idea how galactic matchups are made. Sometimes I snooze thru it and others are just way too much for me. I have really tried to use that time to try new teams. Its cool to try it then because so much is on the line.
3. A test arena would be awesome; although I think it would defeat (some) of what makes the game cool. Borrowing other toons to try them out is one of those things. Also a game based on points per play/battle should reward the players that spend more points by either buying them or playing often. Just my opinion that can probably be refuted in about a million different ways.
4. And as far as kylo Ren goes, I'm inclined to think that the Devs know that he can be a game changer. They seem to have taken steps to ensure that everyone isn't left behind by: giving out free Kylo shards, making him available to grind in the cantina, and offering strategy guides. The strategy guides will help Ren owners, as well as those who are fighting against him.
That's my 2 (10) cents. And this game is pretty cool. Loving it so far.
Right now, my major issue with the game is the difficulty of getting shards for certain characters. I think they should all be farmable to 7 stars.
I apologize for not making myself more clear in my original post. What I meant by test arena was that you could take the characters you have at the level/gear/skill they are and pit them against the squads your allies have assembled. I did not mean to imply making teams using characters you don't have. As you said, that kind of defeats some of the fun in the game.
As for Kylo Ren...I'm perfectly willing to accept that I just need more practice at playing the game. With more experience and some team adjustments, hopefully I'll realize it's not as bad as it seems.
Thanks for the responses.
I was planning to drop Talia for Phasma as soon as I get her leveled up and from 3 to 4*. Won't take long. I've got an Ahsoka from using my cantina credits (the orange things...I don't know what they are supposed to be called), but it seems like you get orange currency far slower than the grey arena or green galactic war currencies. She came out a 2* and I promoted her to 3* already. Half way to 4*. I was gonna replace Talia with Ahsoka until they gave out the free Phasma's. Might replace Chewie with Ahsoka once i get her to 4, but I've almost got Chewie to 5*. I'm torn. When I get high enough level to have access to the cantina level with Kylo Ren in it, farming him seems like a no brainer. But I still need 3 levels. Someday...
I agree a "Test Arena" is would be fun and informative. Even if they would just let us use the Charecters we have ( level and skill even!) It would be great to try out different group builds.
The timer on SA is a pain, but it is a pain/parameter that we all have to deal with. Perhaps someday they will institute " live battles" and we can really go at it.
.. Anyhow it sounds like your having fun, so am I.
Greats on the kids btw, raise gamers.. The critical and logical thinking will take them far!
I was planning to drop Talia for Phasma as soon as I get her leveled up and from 3 to 4*.
I dropped my 4* Talia at gear lvl 6 and 4 and 5 ability upgrades for phasma as soon as I got her to gear 6 2 and 3 lvl ability and lvl 52 at 3 stars. I was skeptical about replacing Talia's special DMG from my team but I haven't looked back at all. It was the biggest upgrade for my arena team I've done so far. I went from 450-500 average rank to 300-to 350 rank. I still get knocked back down when not playing but it improved my team by quite a bit.