Thoughts on the game from a week old noob.

pac0naut
3236 posts Member
Considering I've never done turn based RPG's in my life, I think this is an awesome game.

1: I'm kind of at the point where I'm semi stuck and have to continue to farm nodes for shards to get better players. Considering my strongest is a 4* HK-47, I have to get someone better. I'm currently at a 3* GS, 3* Chewie, 3* Talia, 3* Savage O, 2* Greedo, 3* Jawa, 2* JC, 2* Ug, 2* RG, 1* IG-86, 1* Clone Trooper, 1* Ewok, 1* Snowtrooper. I lost my top 50 from #49 to #56 spot in Squad yesterday and regained it after some upgrades back to #40, but I can't beat what's coming up...my power and charachter levels just aren't there yet, so now it's back to the farm.

2: I just unlocked GW yesterday so I got enough to start farming last night an hour before the reset. It's pretty fun, but it's a grind. Can't beat the current squad that runs RG / Chewie, and 2 healers since my JC is toasted for the day and Talia is about dead. I assume I'll get better at this.

3: I'm currently farming Poe in Cantina (25/50, soon to be 30 when my Store resets), Dooku in nodes (14/50), Lumi in whatever I can as far as nodes and GW (14/50).

4: Oh look, I just pulled Snowtrooper shards from a Bronzium pack....ready to be upgraded tomorrow. Joy.

5: The further I go, the more difficult even the daily tasks get to complete.

6: This is probably one of the most helpful, mature and civil gaming forums I have EVER seen in my life. People can actually type coherent sentences and make sense. I'm wondering what the average age is on here. I enjoy the banter.

7: I've spent >$20.00 just because I had some Google Play credits**. I can see how people spend more. It's addicting, but I would never, ever want to P2W and be considered a whale. That negates and cheapens the whole journey for me.

** If you've taken the time to read this and are on Android, go download Google Rewards from the Play Store. Do quick surveys and they pay you...not much, but it can help if you're a lower level and you don't use your own money)

8: Speaking of age in #6, I'm a 39 year old guy who just enjoys playing in his downtime. Between my work, my wife and music production this is a pretty fun time waster I can do in the morning before work so I get the daily rewards and then play when I can.

9: Overall, I'm enjoying the game, but I know I have months and MONTHS to go in this. Some of you have been playing since the inception of the game. Seeing how long it takes me, I salute you 70 7* players.

10: Did I mention it's a total grind? I love it.

Thanks to all the 7* players who added me as an ally. Just this morning you help me beat some spots I couldn't have done otherwise. Salute.
Meanwhile, down on the farm....

Replies

• Options
    Here is my SWGOH Ally code 365-988-149 if you need more help bud.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Sent. Mine is 358-766-276 for anyone who would like to help. In game name is the same as my screen name here.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    pac0naut wrote: »
    1: I'm kind of at the point where I'm semi stuck and have to continue to farm nodes for shards to get better players. Considering my strongest is a 4* HK-47, I have to get someone better. I'm currently at a 3* GS, 3* Chewie, 3* Talia, 3* Savage O, 2* Greedo, 3* Jawa, 2* JC, 2* Ug, 2* RG, 1* IG-86, 1* Clone Trooper, 1* Ewok, 1* Snowtrooper. I lost my top 50 from #49 to #56 spot in Squad yesterday and regained it after some upgrades back to #40, but I can't beat what's coming up...my power and charachter levels just aren't there yet, so now it's back to the farm.

Focus on Luminara, JC, RG, GS if you can.
    Luminara is the best healer in the game and does insane burst with her force wave (she can one shot people with offense up buff).
    JC is also very required for easier GW since he can heal almost every other turn at max abilities.
    RG is the best tank you can get, followed by Poe/ST Han. He will help direct damage
    GS is one of the best DPS in the games right now, and will probably continue to be into the lvl 80 meta with being able to call an assist every turn.
    2: I just unlocked GW yesterday so I got enough to start farming last night an hour before the reset. It's pretty fun, but it's a grind. Can't beat the current squad that runs RG / Chewie, and 2 healers since my JC is toasted for the day and Talia is about dead. I assume I'll get better at this.

Sadly, GW will always be a grind. The best way to make it easy is JC/Lumi/Sid + 2 others (I run Dooku and GS) will make GW fairly easy. Its the best source of credits in the game, netting you around 500k a day, so it should never be skipped despite it being monotonous.
    3: I'm currently farming Poe in Cantina (25/50, soon to be 30 when my Store resets), Dooku in nodes (14/50), Lumi in whatever I can as far as nodes and GW (14/50).

Poe isn't bad. Cantina has too many good characters to tell you to go for others. QGJ/Ahsoka/Daka/others I cant remember are all very good when put in the right teams.
    4: Oh look, I just pulled Snowtrooper shards from a Bronzium pack....ready to be upgraded tomorrow. Joy.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
    5: The further I go, the more difficult even the daily tasks get to complete.

This is standard with every game you play. Early levels are meant to draw you in, and thus they are easy and you get a lot of flashy bonuses and free energy. Then, when you're hooked, they slow it down considerably in the hopes you buy crystals with sweet sweet $$$
    6: This is probably one of the most helpful, mature and civil gaming forums I have EVER seen in my life. People can actually type coherent sentences and make sense. I'm wondering what the average age is on here. I enjoy the banter.

It can get slightly out of hand, but most of the people here are helpful.
    7: I've spent >$20.00 just because I had some Google Play credits**. I can see how people spend more. It's addicting, but I would never, ever want to P2W and be considered a whale. That negates and cheapens the whole journey for me.

This game isn't P2W at the moment. Almost every hero in the top meta is a F2P character that you can get by grinding.
    8: Speaking of age in #6, I'm a 39 year old guy who just enjoys playing in his downtime. Between my work, my wife and music production this is a pretty fun time waster I can do in the morning before work so I get the daily rewards and then play when I can.
    30. I have been gaming since I was about 8 so I have played almost everything under the sun.
    9: Overall, I'm enjoying the game, but I know I have months and MONTHS to go in this. Some of you have been playing since the inception of the game. Seeing how long it takes me, I salute you 70 7* players.

Yea, I have been playing since the game came out. Havent spent a dime on it though. Not bragging or anything, but I dont spend money on gambling. If they want me to buy a character, let me buy the character (for a reasonable price, like .99 or 1.99 per) instead of charging me $50 for the chance as possibly not getting anything.

I also absolutely loath getting shards and characters I already have, so thats another reason I dont spend money. The shard shop is an absolute joke.
    10: Did I mention it's a total grind? I love it.

It gets worse, but you can do everything in the game in about an hour or less when you get lvl capped and a full roster. I play from about 8am to 9am before work and I get everything done I can possibly do.
    Thanks to all the 7* players who added me as an ally. Just this morning you help me beat some spots I couldn't have done otherwise. Salute.

918-238-198
  • Options
    Hahaha. It gets addicting. I am about 2 months in and I am a level 67. Hoping to cap just as they open up 70+.
    I got suckered into TWO $99.99 crystal purchases ( I "double tapped " on a slow DSL connection :) but I would do it again. I wasted some crystals on about 4 Cromium Cards. I got lucky and drew three 4* toons in 4 cards. After just starting to read this forum as I was making those draws I realized I got lucky and backed away (thanks guys). Instead I spent some of the crystals on 2 cantina refreshes per day for farming the "forum recommended toons for GW and Arena" (head the advice of the guys above) and occasionally (like 3 times) the purchase of credits to level up toons until I rounded out a 15+ toon roster (with 6 studs for arena). Then GW became a 45 minute walk thru (yielding more GW tokens and a constant credit supply for farming more/better toons). Anyways I was able to hold back about 12k crystals that I will use as bleed-away to ensure I can do the 2 Cantina refreshes every day. IMO, if you want to make the grind more tolerable spend some on crystals early, then taper off. Earning is more fun, but starting I think I was on the end of my server playing catch-up. After I spent and farmed I was able to claw up to 38-81 daily arena finishes. Earning those crystals really help long term. Listen to the long time veterans you see on this forum and you'll be fine.
    If you need any more allies hit me up at 298-352-583 ally code.
    [LWI] | 298-352-583
  • Joe_Cus
    152 posts Member
    Options
    Retreat, retreat, retreat!!!! I didn't even know this was an option until I was already playing the game for a few weeks. If you don't like the way a GW battle is going, retreat and try a different approach. Lumi, JC and QGJ are awesome Jedis to have. Don't forget to gear them up and add abilities.
  • Dooku_for_days
    2907 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When did you start and on what device? I made a second account to go along side my 5 month old main account on Saturday. Im completely F2P on both accounts. I'm on iOS, so I might be on your server. I unlocked GW today and completed it with ease. I'll edit this post once I find my ally code on both accounts if you want to add me. On my main account I finish rank 1 daily and on this new one I'm floating between 20 and 30.
    New account: 365-233-392
    Old established main account: 447-537-836
  • Dooku_for_days
    2907 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You are on my new account server! You're pac0naut at about rank 55. I'm Mozza at rank 30.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    You are on my new account server! You're pac0naut at about rank 55. I'm Mozza at rank 30.

Dangit... I was 40 this morning and guess I just got knocked out of the top 50.
  • XCOM
    250 posts Member
    Options
    F2P vs P2P is debatable... It's definitely P2W if you want it to be but at higher level anyone can beat anyone... The pay is really about how fast you want to get there... IMO FTP is like walking to your vacation destination... I strongly disagree about it cheapening the game, because in this game, even when you try to buy your way you really can't... The way it's designed, prices double quickly and at the price of 4 or 8, 16 dollars per refresh needing hundreds of those (50 purple gears for instance just for one gear slot) you can't buy your way... You just get a head start, and grind like everyone else... Just a little faster... So enjoy, but realize you are scratching surface and if u really want to be on top or just play with multiple characters spend some... And for gods sake buy some bundles (Jedi, dooku, etc.) you won't regret it.
  • Options
    Great write-up OP!
    Have similar emotions, have been playing since November.
    At this point, farming is the most fun part, hahaha. I've become "institutionalized".