who deserves the mandalorian tag

Prev13
Sansacional_10
40 posts Member
edited April 2020
I start the topic, with the inclusion of the content of the Mandalorian, it is likely that they will put the Mandalorian tag. We know perfectly well that Gar Saxon, the Imperial Supercommand, Sabine Wren and Canderous Ord deserve the label. The question is: Boba Fett and Jango Fett deserve the tag. ? I read your opinions

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    2 things - 1 I dont think we will get one yet, unless this rollout goes much deeper than I suspect it will at this time.

2 - if we do get it now, I feel like this will just be one of those tags that is meaningless, especially to add to anyone else, as there will probably not be enough benefit from it.

unless they are planning a "faction rework" just giving a bunch of characters a tag doesnt' help since none of their abilities mention anything about it. if just Mando has some blerb about the tag, it will not be enough to bring a team together around it. IMHO.

I suspect this is just a light touch, they release a few main characters and then season 2 or so, we might see some more and a "faction rework" to bring things together..... but even that is a stretch.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    They were established as non-Mandalorian in TCW.
  • Options
    Ummmmm
    Check the canon tab. Not the legends tab.

In Legends, they bent over backwards to build that bridge after Episode 2 nuked Boba's backstory and turn Jango and Boba back into Mandalorians.

Disney canon has not done that, and the most definitive answer we have is the Mandos' evil vizier insisting that Jango is not a Mandalorian and stole that armor.
    Still not a he.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Well according to Wookiepedia Jango is not a mandalorian

Ummmmm pwqysvt757uf.jpg

Legends is not canon

Not that the game is following canon.

Disney made legends because they needed "creative freedom" see what that got us lmao. Legends to me is canon and the hogwash we got episode 7, 8, and 9 is non canon
    ZAP wrote: »

Ummmmm pwqysvt757uf.jpg

Legends is not canon

Disney made legends because they needed "creative freedom" see what that got us lmao. Legends to me is canon and the hogwash we got episode 7, 8, and 9 is non canon

George Lucas wasn’t happy with a lot of the Legends stuff, it’s not just a Disney thing.

Yeah and if it wasn't for legends star wars wouldn't be as popular as it is today, the old republic, thrawn, the Yuuzhan Vong, darth bane, soo many stories that make the "new trilogy" look like it was written by unpaid interns

That’s too bad, cuz it is what it is.

I understand that people like Legends and that it was kind of rude of Disney to consider those stories non canon, but people have to understand that the sequel trilogy has inspired a new generation of fans. It’s also not fair to step on their canon.

Also, yes, Legends was pretty good; however, every story was some new, galaxy altering event, and that just got old. I like the way that Disney is holding back, allowing more character studies than galaxy breaking stuff.

To sum it all up, the clearest canon answer to this thread is no, the Fett’s are not Mandalorians.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Nihion wrote: »

Ummmmm pwqysvt757uf.jpg

Legends is not canon

ZAP wrote: »

Ummmmm pwqysvt757uf.jpg

Legends is not canon

George Lucas wasn’t happy with a lot of the Legends stuff, it’s not just a Disney thing.

Yeah and if it wasn't for legends star wars wouldn't be as popular as it is today, the old republic, thrawn, the Yuuzhan Vong, darth bane, soo many stories that make the "new trilogy" look like it was written by unpaid interns

That’s too bad, cuz it is what it is.

I understand that people like Legends and that it was kind of rude of Disney to consider those stories non canon, but people have to understand that the sequel trilogy has inspired a new generation of fans. It’s also not fair to step on their canon.

Also, yes, Legends was pretty good; however, every story was some new, galaxy altering event, and that just got old. I like the way that Disney is holding back, allowing more character studies than galaxy breaking stuff.

To sum it all up, the clearest canon answer to this thread is no, the Fett’s are not Mandalorians.

All I got say is wait and find out, look at mando, they are fighting an imperial war lord with non of the first order or the resistance nonsense, to me it looks like disney has waken up and are taking the best things out of the legends and putting them back into "canon"

Mando has little to no Legends connections. High Republic seems to be very different than Old Republic. I’ll admit that the First Order and Resistance were weird, but it seems like Mando is building a bridge toward that by using one of Disney’s other shows, Rebels, which I have to say, was pretty good. But yes, Thrawn was a big Legends character that they moved to canon. I also hope to see more of that in the future.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    That's not how that works, bub.

Star Wars is Star Wars. Even the parts you don't like.

CG defaults to the common baseline that is current canon. Not your headcanon.
    As much as I love the novels, this is not remotely true. The novels were one prong in a massive multimedia push, and a niche market. Aside from the Thrawn novels, they really didn't have the same cultural penetration as the video games, the toys, or even random tchotchkes. Darth Talon's breasts have greater cultural penetration and are more broadly recognizable as Star Wars than literally anything introduced in the New Jedi Order series. (And more so than anything else Dark Horse introduced to Star Wars continuity, for that matter.)

And while there were some decent novels in there, a lot of them were really bad. The novels had less to do with Star Wars becoming popular than with Star Wars' reputation as shlock.

There were the generally respected Thrawn trilogy (even if a lot of that is nostalgia speaking), X-Wing novels, and Bane trilogy. But there were also stinkers of astonishing caliber like Crystal Star, Shadows of the Empire, Courtship of Princess Leia.

People complained when Palpatine came back from the dead in nine? He did it twice in Legends. People complained about another Death Star and bringing in Star Destroyers with Death Star lasers? Legends did that, too. More than once. Discounting the many, many other imperial superweapons left behind by Sheev's all superweapon economy, after the Death Star one and two, there was the Death Star prototype, the Eclipse Star Destroyer, the Tarkin, the Darksaber (which fell to the perils of lowest bidder subcontractors), and after five Death Stars threatened the galaxy on top of a bunch of other random superweapons, someone decided to paint a worldship to look like a Death Star and call it the Death Star III because people would believe it. People complain that Rey learned stuff too fast? Within a couple days of starting Jedi training, Corran Horn sent Luke to consult the holocron to figure out what the heck he just did twice, to include accidentally learning how to eat explosions and fart fire hurricanes. Rey went avatar state for a couple seconds? Luke voiped a black hole with his brain!

Basically past the two best known, the Thrawn trilogy and the X-Wing novels, you needed a Sherpa to navigate past the dross of the old EU. It was a trash pile. And I enjoyed that trash. A lot of it was my kind of trash. But it was still trash.

And the NJO series? That is easily among the most controversial works in Star Wars history. I admire the scope and the ambition, but the **** invaders from another genre was where the EU jumped the shark for a lot of people, and I do not need any more reading about them torturing themselves to climax and then doing the same to children in my life, please and thank you. And even if the series as a whole isn't a shark jump moment, in my book Super Saiyan Luku voiping a black hole with his brain is. Plus the reason NJO happened was because of loud and justified complaints from fans that the Star Wars novels were inconsequential. A lot of spinning of wheels that wasn't allowed to significantly impact main characters that was ultimately inconsequential.

But you know what Disney's been really good at?

Novels. This is the golden age of Star Wars novels. Old EU, you needed a guide to find the good stuff, or just wade into the trash pile. This is the first time in my life when someone can come to me asking for advice on getting into the Star Wars novels and I can say just grab something that looks interesting and it will probably be at least decent. I've never been able to do that before. And while not all of them are gems, a lot of them go beyond decent into the realm of genuinely good or at least that supremely entertaining Zahnian indulgence.

Lost Stars is, without reservation, my favorite Star Wars novel. Ever. And I wouldn't have gotten it without the reboot.

And if you're really familiar with Legends like you claim, then you know full well that continuity had to go if they were going to make new movies. If you pretend otherwise, you are lying to yourself. There is literally no way you can reasonably expect that to work. The goal is to make new Star Wars stories, not remake old ones, but the universe is too crowded and the background is too complicated without going deep into Legacy era, which had long since lost even most novel fans.

The original actors were dying, disinterested, or Mark Hamill and on board for anything. Recasting them to squeeze new midquels into the cracks of the EU was not a reasonable option. So what even would you want from keeping the EU? (Aside from one more X-Wing novel to resolve the whole Wedge/Syal/Soontir sitch.)

The stories are still there. They weren't hurt, or burned, or destroyed. But most of the Legends fans had a line in the sand that they considered the end of Legends, and just didn't care about anything past that. For some, that was the Pellaeon–Gavrisom Treaty. For some, that was the end of the Yuuzhan Vong war. For some, that was the death of Darth Caedus. For some, that was the battle with Abeloth. But still, the entire Del Rey era was trying to right a sinking boat, and every time they did a new arc and pressed the continuity forward, it was a less popular decision and they hemorrhaged readers. Some pruning to that unmanageable snarl of a continuity was in order.
    Post edited by YaeVizsla on
    Still not a he.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Well put @YaeVizsla.
  • flux_rono
    2125 posts Member
    Options
    the fetts aren't mandalorians, so no they shouldn't.

plus if they did get the tag technically every clone would have to get the tag as well (if boba gets it then every clone gets it)
  • 20cmulcahy
    39 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    The only ones that come to mind would be Sabine, Canderous, Gar Saxon, Imperial Super Commando, and Djin Djarin. Enough for a full team. Id consider Bobba and Jango as not. Should get Shae Vizla but thats just me.
  • MasterSeedy
    5077 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    And while there were some decent novels in there, a lot of them were really bad.

So. True.

I can't remember the quote or even what specific novel it was, but there was a paragraph in one of the books that used what actually happened as the metaphor, a la:
    The ship swerved hard to the left to avoid the incoming turbo-laser fire, but the sudden movement made the pilot queasy, as if he had been in a moving ship that had just swerved hard to the left to avoid incoming turbo-laser fire.

It might have been Rogue Planet, but maybe it was something else that came out in the late 80s/early 90s. Anyway, I remember reading and rereading that paragraph asking myself, "Did they really just do that?"

Bad doesn't even begin to describe some of those novels.
  • Options
    Mandalorians
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Omeah wrote: »
    Neither Jango or Boba follow the ways of the Mando’ade, why would they be Mandalorians?

Wearing Mandalorian armor doesn’t make you a Mandalorian.

they are Still mandalorian at the end of the day.

Well... no.
  • Ltswb1
    550 posts Member
    Options
    So what makes someone a Mandalorian? Are they not Mandalorian even if they’re born on the planet? Or in the system? Do they have to wear the armor and follow “the way”? It seems there are too many different opinions on this. To me Jango is a Mandalorian. The cannon wiki page does say that he claimed to be from Concord Dawn which is in the Mando system. And that was never disproven, though it was questioned. Are we seriously going to have pages of rants about this when the wiki isn’t even certain? Is it really that important?
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Ltswb1 wrote: »
    So what makes someone a Mandalorian? Are they not Mandalorian even if they’re born on the planet? Or in the system? Do they have to wear the armor and follow “the way”? It seems there are too many different opinions on this. To me Jango is a Mandalorian. The cannon wiki page does say that he claimed to be from Concord Dawn which is in the Mando system. And that was never disproven, though it was questioned. Are we seriously going to have pages of rants about this when the wiki isn’t even certain? Is it really that important?

Thank you for adding your own rant and then asking why we are ranting.

I’ll add my own: The page you mention says he claimed being from Concord Dawn, but his history is mysterious. He certainly doesn’t act like a Mandalorian, as he seems like more of a loner, in a different way than Mando. Almec also noted that Jango is not likely a Mandalorian. Jango’s armor is even made up of a different material, not Beskar. These facts make it seem to me that he is in fact not a Mandalorian. Which I think is cool, he’s his own thing. Maybe there’s a cool origin story where he was exiled from Mandalorian culture or something.

But you’re right, no one really knows. So let’s all go home and take a nap.