GAC double matching?

My opponent today, April 17, in the 2nd 8-player draw, is the same one I faced April 7 in the 1st 8-player draw. WTH?!

Replies

• Options
    Are you going to lose just as badly this time? 💁🏻

I know I did when it happened to me recently.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    It happens.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    The only guarantee CG have made is that you will not face the same opponent twice within a 1-week (3 match) GA bracket.
  • Options
    I would like 2nd shots at my losses
  • Options
    @Rath_Tarr Tell me there are so few Division 3 players that this is necessary...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    JakuuB wrote: »
    Tell me there are so few Division 3 players that this is necessary...

The question is not how many players are in the division but how many players meet the matching criteria. If you have a particularly high or low “top X” GP for your division then there will be correspondingly fewer options to match you against and you will be more likely to see the same people more than once. Once you move up to d2 the issue will probably go away.
  • SamWincester
    3 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    In the last 3 GAC i found the same guy (lost 3 times ofc) but even if i won that wouldn't have been fair.
    I have fun when i see the same guy and i know i can beat him easily but this isn't funny or fair for him at all.

I've been in both situations (ez win, ez lose) and i think this isn't healthy for pvp.
    Both times there was a huge difference in total banners, not just 50-100 but full clear vs 2 teams taken down so you can't even say "i want a rematch to try again"
  • JakuuB
    6 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    It happens.

"**** happens" too, but that doesn't reduce the stench.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    It happens.

"**** happens" too, but that doesn't reduce the stench.

But you survive, don't you?
  • JakuuB
    6 posts Member
    Options
    I flush it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I flush it.

Yet, you still worry about it?
  • Options
    Liath wrote: »

The question is not how many players are in the division but how many players meet the matching criteria. If you have a particularly high or low “top X” GP for your division then there will be correspondingly fewer options to match you against and you will be more likely to see the same people more than once. Once you move up to d2 the issue will probably go away.

They actually match you with just random people in your division. It doesn’t matter we’re you stand in the division. I’m at 1.7 M GP and am playing players exceeding 2M GP
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »

They actually match you with just random people in your division. It doesn’t matter we’re you stand in the division. I’m at 1.7 M GP and am playing players exceeding 2M GP
    Nope. For each GA within a GAC you are matched within your division+league based on your top {x} character/ship GP.

Total roster GP is only used at the start of the GAC to determine your division.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Nope. For each GA within a GAC you are matched within your division+league based on your top {x} character/ship GP.

I can second that. It does matter how your roster looks like. The other thing I noticed is that I'm always matched with opponents, who have similar arena and ship arena ranking like me. Might be related to roster as well.

Btw. I also met the same guy twice in a GAC. First time I lost due to a misplay. Second time I won (I was also much more motivated to take revenge :smiley: )

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Antario wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I can second that. It does matter how your roster looks like. The other thing I noticed is that I'm always matched with opponents, who have similar arena and ship arena ranking like me. Might be related to roster as well.
    [...]

Matches are not based on arena ranks. Matching rank is a coincidence.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options

If I recall correctly, that‘s not what I said. I just said I’m top10 in arena and ship arena everyday. And I’m always getting matched with opponents who are top10 as well. Guess what, might be related to the roster we have.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

If I recall correctly, that‘s not what I said. I just said I’m top10 in arena and ship arena everyday. And I’m always getting matched with opponents who are top10 as well. Guess what, might be related to the roster we have.
    Yes High arena rank generally means a highly relic'd arena squad which would inflate your GAC matchmaking GP and get you matched with similar opponents.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

If I recall correctly, that‘s not what I said.

I didn't say it was.
    I just said I’m top10 in arena and ship arena everyday. And I’m always getting matched with opponents who are top10 as well. Guess what, might be related to the roster we have.

Might be. Or might not. I've been matched with players with all sorts of ranks (within the range of active players on 4 year old shards).