Cara’s basic animation

Ltswb1
550 posts Member
Does anybody else find Cara’s basic animation odd? I’m sure there may be other toons who jump forward to shoot, but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. It’s very odd looking.

Replies

• Options
    Kinda reminds me of chewy 's 2nd special.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    it's awful imo
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Thank goodness for 4x
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Options
    Dengar also does it with his first special I believe.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    Dengar and Chewie have well tuned abilities like this. Cara’s is not good though. It’s the same as Talia’s jump attack, where it looks clunky and sometimes glitches.
  • Options
    She's used to getting up close and personal with her enemies she was in the UFC duh
  • Options
    I can never see how much damage she does bc the health steal covers the damage for me.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    When you have a giant machine gun, you have to shoot at point blank.
  • Options
    Chewie and Dengar shoot while running, then they slap the enemy. Cara does the opposite which may be why it looks weird.
  • Options
    It DEFINITELY looks weird.

I don't like it. I still love the character in her show, and I'm happy with the kit so far, but that one animation is ... bad. No other word for it.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    ed1rwv8qebic.jpeg

Well she’s hitting first and shooting second. Would look weirder in reserve.
    Then she would be made to shot from standing then run to do a couple hits.
    I’ve actually always loved when a character is standing on an enemy and blasting them point blank!
  • Options
    @Sewpot
    Well she’s hitting first and shooting second. Would look weirder in reserve.

Disagree. Look at Dengar. He fires as he is advancing, which serves to keep the enemies' heads down during your charge and makes you more likely to survive long enough to get close enough to engage in hand-to-hand.

While the game doesn't have a concept of cover fire and turn-based combat doesn't lend itself to having your charge interrupted by someone sniping you, it's at least something that makes sense. But if your advantage is your weapon, you don't put it down to hit someone then pick it up again and use it from hand-to-hand distance where they can knock your wrist aside and make that devastating weapon fire useless. The whole point of having a ranged weapon is to shoot from range.

And the order doesn't really matter either. It's the bit about running all the up to them, then standing practically on top of them to shoot, then running away without firing another shot. If you're gonna use your ranged weapon, then use it from range. If there's a need to engage in hand-to-hand despite your weapon, then you either fire your weapon as you advance to make your charge more survivable, or you fire as you retreat to make your retreat more survivable. You don't let your weapon dangle uselessly while you run across the battlefield then use a ranged weapon from 5" away then let the weapon dangle uselessly again as you return to your original position.

So for me, it's not about the order. It's about using the ranged weapon up close but not on either the advance or the retreat.

So of course you're welcome to your opinion, and that's a datum as valuable to CG as my opinion that it looks weird and bad, nothing in what you said convinces me that this is not weird (and/or not bad).
  • Options
    dear god, remake it to be like canderous ordo's animation. seriously. this is so obvious what should be done!
  • Options
    Cara’s gun move definitely seems out of sync. But, the cool thing is that her movement and gun sound remind me of Stryker from Mortal Kombat so there’s some unexpected nostalgia while playing her.w8uvph6cb3gp.png
  • Options
    It is an awkward animation for sure - not terribly concerned about it though (and really, in most cases I barely look at character animations anymore beyond the handful of exceptionally rewarding ones like Jolee’s “Eh, You do it” which always brings me joy), I expect I will learn to tune it out soon enough.
    Definitely don’t want them to waste manpower on redoing it that can be better spent getting to next month’s road ahead “player base engaging announcement” content so they can finish whatever that is and get back on working on the suspended raid (that was seriously gutting to read in the Q&A)...
  • Options
    Cara’s gun move definitely seems out of sync. But, the cool thing is that her movement and gun sound remind me of Stryker from Mortal Kombat so there’s some unexpected nostalgia while playing her.w8uvph6cb3gp.png

I never liked Stryker.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Options
    There is no point in going forward if you are using a gun.
    That's why I like the animation of the Thrawn basics so much.
    It is an almost casual movement, beautiful in its simplicity.