Handicapping GP for Grand Arena

There's got to be a better way to create matchups in GA. A player with 4 million GP that started four years ago is going to have a vastly different roster than a 4 million GP player that started last year. That latter player is going to have 4 to 5 of the top Meta teams likely including a fully relic'd GAS team that if put on defense is going to be an auto win. Even a fully relic'd Malak team is likely going to be an i-win button over the older player.

Do they/can they start calculating GP by teams? The need to more heavily weight GAS, Malak, Shak Ti, Geo, Padme & GG teams. And give them even more weight if they're G13, and then again weight for each relic level. Throw in GL Rey and GL Kylo as well.

Right now, it's just a matter of a quick scan through the bracket on the first day and I can see if I have even the remotest chance to win the whole thing, or even come in at the top 4. If I see GAS or Relic'd Malak, I don't even bother. I'm sure others feel the same.

Replies

• Akenno
    538 posts Member
    Options
    Get rid of GP matching (the divisions are doing the GP matchmaking first) and start to get a GAC banner matchmaking... Would balance itself out.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Akenno wrote: »
    Get rid of GP matching (the divisions are doing the GP matchmaking first) and start to get a GAC banner matchmaking... Would balance itself out.

And it would also be a far less dynamic system. Imagine a player with low banner scores who unlocks some new META team(s) and improving his roster significantly. That will probably get some easy match ups for a long time, before it's balanced out.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    You aren't being matched on total GP, so the 4m to 4m comparison is irrelevant. Strongly disagree with the idea of weighting teams differently.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    Options
    Agree with the weighting. This matchmaking is supposed to give people are chance to win and if someone has a gl, r7 gas etc and and their opponent doesn't, then it becomes a lopsided affair. (Their top gp may be the same but those squads are missing)

And I think what op is getting about in gp terms is a new account focused on meta teams and relicd those while older rosters had a wide range on g12 and relicd some lesser characters therefore the top gp is the same but the matchup is definitely not fair.
    Old roster: relicd cls, empire, bh, traya squads
    While a new roster: relicd gas, sith empire, padme, geos squads.

Now these match ups are fair in top gp but the old roster has little hope. And before people say, "they should have invested better." The same thing can be said when a 4mil focused account was match with a 4 mil broad account. Shouldn't that broad account invested better also? Same premise.
    Matchmaking supposed to be fair..ish. 60-40, 50-50, not 90-10. And weighting gl, gas etc will definitely help with that.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Saada wrote: »
    Agree with the weighting. This matchmaking is supposed to give people are chance to win and if someone has a gl, r7 gas etc and and their opponent doesn't, then it becomes a lopsided affair. (Their top gp may be the same but those squads are missing)

And I think what op is getting about in gp terms is a new account focused on meta teams and relicd those while older rosters had a wide range on g12 and relicd some lesser characters therefore the top gp is the same but the matchup is definitely not fair.

Now these match ups are fair in top gp but the old roster has little hope. And before people say, "they should have invested better." The same thing can be said when a 4mil focused account was match with a 4 mil broad account. Shouldn't that broad account invested better also? Same premise.
    Matchmaking supposed to be fair..ish. 60-40, 50-50, not 90-10. And weighting gl, gas etc will definitely help with that.

You lost me at your first paragraph when you imply that someone with a GL at R7 shouldn't have an advantage.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

You lost me at your first paragraph when you imply that someone with a GL at R7 shouldn't have an advantage.

Well I'm sorry common sense goes over your head. The same could be said about gas, dr, jkr when they first came out etc and they still could have an advantage, just that those meta squads are weighted more heavily so let's say it works out that they have a gl advantage but end up against someone who has an extra g13 squad advantage. At the moment, you could have lower g13, no gl, gas but have 20 more zetas and have no hope cause your a seasoned roster against a whale who started an alt account.
    gac is meant to give people a chance and just cause a person has a gl shouldn't mean they're entitled to have a walk over which seems to be what your pushing for.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    GAC and its top <x> toon GP matchmaking pre-date g13 and relics. In fact relics present the greatest opportunity to rebalance an older roster and improve its matchmaking.