Can Someone Explain This "Sandbox" Mode You Seem To Want So Much?

Prev13456722
Gifafi
6017 posts Member
So, you want to be able to try out your characters vs others without using energy, right? So, how would this work?

You face random teams like in gw? Well that wouldn't really help with the theorycrafting/practice I can only assume is the reason for wanting this mode.

So, you pick individual chars or teams you want to practice against? Where would they come from? Arena opponents? All chars/teams in the game? Or would you pick the level, star level and gear level of each? I assume sandbox would have to work for lower ranked chars too who don't want/need to practice against GL's, for ex.

Then what about mods? You want to go through and pick out mods for each opposing char, that way it more resembles "real" arena/etc? From where would you choose the mods? A mod bank of some kind? Or maybe just cycle through others' chars and pick one that seems close to what you want to fight? Then pick 4 more?

Help me understand, please, bc I don't get the appeal or why anyone would want CG to spend time on what seems to me to be a pretty complicated new mode. tyty. (I mean, not to mention the timesuck is still too much in this game IMO, but you can ignore that part for now)
Maybe End Game isn't for you

Replies

• Amoliski
    106 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Just let me pick from my guild members saved squad list. I can ask similar powered guild members to my GAC opponents to set a team that matches a comp I'm seeing and have at it.

Only place I can fight Nest+Nightsisters or a team with Wat, for example, are GAC or TW- both places I get one shot if I win, or waste good teams/ruin a chance at a loss if I lose.
    Post edited by Amoliski on
  • Options
    The most important to test against would be meta teams in your arena shard, so the opponents could simply be sourced from there. Top 50 for example.

I don't understand the time suck comment. Unless you're a super involved guild leader, I estimate you can get everything done in this game in 30-45 minutes on a given day.
  • Options
    It would be cool if there was a list of all the toons at max possible gp, and you could assemble both teams. Then you could test strategies and stuff without the limitations of other people teams
  • Options
    Maybe you feel the timesuck because every game mode has to be monetized. Which means every game mode has to provide the player an incentive to participate. Which means to keep up, you’re playing every game mode.

You have to remember that a vast majority of players can’t really participate in LS geoTB. Many people, myself include, deploy and platoon and that’s it. A large portion of players can’t or don’t participate in DS geoTB due to their guild size and their own current development in the game. That means that GAC is about all of the content those people have had since the Sith Raid.

You may not want a sandbox mode, but many people are getting very bored with the game.
  • Options
    A simple post your team on the guild chat, and your guild members can use what they like to attack it.
    Think clash of clans has this already.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    A quick and easy idea on how it could look like:

New "Sandbox Arena" location at the very left of the cantina home screen.
    4aggmczro08a.png
    Entering it opens an opponent management screen similar to the friends list where you can add opponents via ally code.
    98nbj198cqsm.png
    Once added they appear under the "Manage" tab and you can give them nicknames to better find opponents with certain strong teams.
    u3imy26tiu7d.png
    When clicking on them it opens up the "Fight / Setup" screen where you can either start a char/fleet fight (opens the usual char/fleet selection screen of YOUR OWN char/fleet) or you can go into the "Setup" screen (see 2 screens below).
    5iesu0ozwtop.png
    The "Setup" screen is similar to the usual char/fleet selection screen with the only difference that instead of a "fight" button there's a "save" button to save the current char/fleet squad and mod setups (you can change opponents mods by longpressing the chars as usual; the mods saved are the ones that your opponent had available at the time you added him - removing and re-adding him will update the mods if he got some new ones, otherwise you can still change them between the chars).
    q3bk6zeayh6r.png

Can't believe I wasted 15mins here as it's clear as hell that they don't WANT to add this to the game.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    I'd be happy just setting being able to set a defense from my own roster so I can see how the AI plays the teams I set for TW and GAC defense.

It would let me adjust mods and turn order more effectively, and eliminate a lot of the guesswork/math when dealing with percentage versus flat modifiers and order of operations (Shaak Ti gives Rex +35 speed, but Rex also gives himself 4% speed for each 501st ally - which comes first?).

Alternatively, some sort of IN-GAME interface where I can set a team and see how all the leaderships and uniques affect their stats would be acceptable. Doesn't even have to be a playable sandbox - just a glorified calculator that understands the internal math better than my guesswork.
  • Akenno
    538 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

New "Sandbox Arena" location at the very left of the cantina home screen.
    4aggmczro08a.png
    Entering it opens an opponent management screen similar to the friends list where you can add opponents via ally code.
    98nbj198cqsm.png
    Once added they appear under the "Manage" tab and you can give them nicknames to better find opponents with certain strong teams.
    u3imy26tiu7d.png
    When clicking on them it opens up the "Fight / Setup" screen where you can either start a char/fleet fight (opens the usual char/fleet selection screen of YOUR OWN char/fleet) or you can go into the "Setup" screen (see 2 screens below).
    5iesu0ozwtop.png
    The "Setup" screen is similar to the usual char/fleet selection screen with the only difference that instead of a "fight" button there's a "save" button to save the current char/fleet squad and mod setups (you can change opponents mods by longpressing the chars as usual; the mods saved are the ones that your opponent had available at the time you added him - removing and re-adding him will update the mods if he got some new ones, otherwise you can still change them between the chars).
    q3bk6zeayh6r.png

Can't believe I wasted 15mins here as it's clear as hell that they don't WANT to add this to the game.

Best description I ever saw. And it doesn't need that mich UI tbh.
  • Options
    It’s way simpler that what y’all are making it out to be. Take all the programming code from arena and tweak it to be made up of guild members. You now have guild arena. No refresh cost or time delays. Simple and done.

Each guild member sets whatever team they want in it. They can then change the team comp or comp whenever they want.
  • Options
    @OP: Way to overthink a simple idea. Its also ironic that someone who has almost 4k posts in here mentions the timesuck of the game, but has yet to comprehend an ongoing demand by the players comunity. Seriously wondering if this thread is supposed to be just an elaborate troll.

Regarding your question. What we are asking for is a very simple idea and wouldnt require too much time to develop. It is also all but natural that the customers of a product make suggestions to improve the product.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    HTWarrior wrote: »
    @OP: Way to overthink a simple idea. Its also ironic that someone who has almost 4k posts in here mentions the timesuck of the game, but has yet to comprehend an ongoing demand by the players comunity. Seriously wondering if this thread is supposed to be just an elaborate troll.

Regarding your question. What we are asking for is a very simple idea and wouldnt require too much time to develop. It is also all but natural that the customers of a product make suggestions to improve the product.

Can you please expand on what you think this would be? It would also be nice to hear how you came to the conclusion on how much development it would take.
  • Options
    Because people spend lots of time and / or money on characters and squads and would like to get to use them more than the game currently provides.

Staggering as that sounds.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    AlexanderG wrote: »
    Because people spend lots of time and / or money on characters and squads and would like to get to use them more than the game currently provides.

They are saying that they want to focus on development of this exact thing, they just want to focus it on things that will have higher engagement.

A sandbox mode is not the only place to get this, as staggering as that sounds.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

I don't necessarily agree with either your opening or closing statements but kudos to you for actually taking the time and effort to articulate one vision of what a sandbox mode could be.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

They are saying that they want to focus on development of this exact thing, they just want to focus it on things that will have higher engagement.

"They want" - how about actually DO and maybe the issue of a practice / sandbox mode will go away.

But hey, go ahead and judge the merits or otherwise of a sandbox given that we don't, and never have had, one.

• Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    So, you want to be able to try out your characters vs others without using energy, right? So, how would this work?

You face random teams like in gw? Well that wouldn't really help with the theorycrafting/practice I can only assume is the reason for wanting this mode.

So, you pick individual chars or teams you want to practice against? Where would they come from? Arena opponents? All chars/teams in the game? Or would you pick the level, star level and gear level of each? I assume sandbox would have to work for lower ranked chars too who don't want/need to practice against GL's, for ex.

Then what about mods? You want to go through and pick out mods for each opposing char, that way it more resembles "real" arena/etc? From where would you choose the mods? A mod bank of some kind? Or maybe just cycle through others' chars and pick one that seems close to what you want to fight? Then pick 4 more?

Help me understand, please, bc I don't get the appeal or why anyone would want CG to spend time on what seems to me to be a pretty complicated new mode. tyty. (I mean, not to mention the timesuck is still too much in this game IMO, but you can ignore that part for now)

What time suck? Without GAC going on, dailies, challenges and activities can be finished in an hour. Then maybe you spend extra time deploying LS geo TB, Or actual waves in DS Geo. Maybe a couple fights in TW? All in all at the most you should be in the game for is about 90 minutes. Not a time sink.

As for sandbox mode why would anyone be against it? There are several methods to do this. Use stored teams from guild members or arena shard opponents. The more complicated version that Top_Cash mentioned yesterday would allow you to do everything custom. Another good method was already posted in this thread which wouldn’t require much UI work at all.

How’s how or why anyone thinks this isn’t good for the game makes me wonder what goes on in their head lol. Just as much as I wonder how a game that’s pulled in over a BILLION in revenue tells its players no because it’s “too expensive”. Well so are your packs but expect us to buy them anyway.
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    Just because you can't do LSTB battles, that doesn't mean I don't.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

"They want" - how about actually DO and maybe the issue of a practice / sandbox mode will go away.

But hey, go ahead and judge the merits or otherwise of a sandbox given that we don't, and never have had, one.

so you think they should divert resources from developing something that will help in game development to something that will not further in game development?

lets say engagement will be the same, for the sake of this conversation.
  • Options

Can you please expand on what you think this would be? It would also be nice to hear how you came to the conclusion on how much development it would take.

Basically squad arena limited to your guild where you can do "training" fights with your teams against teams of your guild members.

This piece of code already exists. So they just need to copy it and add in minor deviations. Now allow me to ask why is it that people like you and OP seem so opposed to the idea and question the idea itself and everyone trying to make an argument for it. Just wondering
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Oh you can do them? Really? Even when you go 4/4 in a phase and the RNG gods allow it how long does that take? A couple minutes?
  • Options

so you think they should divert resources from developing something that will help in game development to something that will not further in game development?

Maybe if they were ever even a little open with what they were doing then people wouldn't be hankering for certain things like sandbox mode. Basically they have said they have been working on something that will solve everything for months upon months and cancelled or postponed everything else, without giving us even a simple hint towards what it could be.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Basically squad arena limited to your guild where you can do "training" fights with your teams against teams of your guild members.

This piece of code already exists. So they just need to copy it and add in minor deviations. Now allow me to ask why is it that people like you and OP seem so opposed to the idea and question the idea itself and everyone trying to make an argument for it. Just wondering

I would love to hear how you came to the conclusion about what are minor deviations, do you have experience coding for games like this?

when have I said I do not what this, or that I am opposed to this idea?

I would absolutely love a game mode like GW, or a sandbox, or raids, or an arena with opponents of my choice. 1000%.

does that mean I will blind myself to not see the full picture, no.

the simple truth is that we dont know how difficult anything would be to code, anyone who says they do and does not work for a game development company is only guessing, and even if they do its still not a good guess unless they work for CG and have seen the code they want to manipulate.
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

No, because I don't accept the premis of your question.

One of the more fervent criticisms of this game is the lack of content. I think it's a fair point. You may be optimistic about further in game development but I'd suggest the history of the game for 2019 and up until this point of 2020 suggests that's misplaced.

Re: practice mode. We get GW chosen for us everyday, we get matched in GAC. There should be mechanisms in place for this (namely that we could have a practice mode with players that have comparable rosters)

There are options that have already been suggested, a hard mode GW, option to have some client side arena battles, or consequence free battles with guild mates or those with similar GP levels.

This should be doable.
  • Options
    You forgot to mention the possibility that they are just not very good at it because they only get to hire B- programmers. In the end CG is not much more but a digital cigarette company.
  • Options
    They dont want you to be having fun if they can make money off it.

They are to blind to see that everyone wants a sandbox mode. Coding is not an excuse.

Your reason is that you dont want to divert from something from the development of the game. But considering how trashy GL was as a whole, I would not worry about that.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

No, because I don't accept the premis of your question.

One of the more fervent criticisms of this game is the lack of content. I think it's a fair point. You may be optimistic about further in game development but I'd suggest the history of the game for 2019 and up until this point of 2020 suggests that's misplaced.

Re: practice mode. We get GW chosen for us everyday, we get matched in GAC. There should be mechanisms in place for this (namely that we could have a practice mode with players that have comparable rosters)

There are options that have already been suggested, a hard mode GW, option to have some client side arena battles, or consequence free battles with guild mates or those with similar GP levels.

This should be doable.

literally no one, has said anything about it not being doable.

the point that you dont accept is that to develop those suggestions takes resource away from developing things that would both add playable content and offer rewards.

I would think that anyone who wants to play the game more would want to develop toons they have to be able to play with them too right?
  • TVF
    36625 posts Member
    Options
    ZAP wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

Oh you can do them? Really? Even when you go 4/4 in a phase and the RNG gods allow it how long does that take? A couple minutes?

Actually some of the LSgeoTB missions can take more than a couple minutes to finish 4 full waves.

That’s beside the point though and it’s a good thing that someone at TVFs level has some enjoyable content that he can actually play. The problem is that the majority of the player base either can’t even qualify for it or if they can, don’t actually enjoy it.

That's how end game content works. People complained the Sith raid was impossible, until it wasn't anymore.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH