Maul Additional Ability

I love Maul’s current kit but think it could use one more special ability.

Brutal Assault: CD 10
Deal physical damage twice to target enemy, inflict daze for 2 turns which cannot be dispelled, and gain one stack of Brutality which cannot be dispelled or prevented.
Damage is increased by 2% for every turn taken by every character in combat.
This attack deals 75% more damage to light side enemies.
This ability starts on cooldown and it’s cooldown is decreased by one every time maul critically hits an enemy or is critically hit.
This ability can not be evaded.

Brutality (stacking)
+15% crit damage, +10% offence, +5% health steal per stack. One stack expires if an enemy evades one of maul’s attacks.

Replies

• Options
    I'm not that trilled by this. It's just another Annihilate type ability. Not to mention Brutality is a really weird effect when everything is said and done. Maul is already too jedi focused for my taste, I'd rather just rework him that add an ability that doesn't really synergise with the rest of his kit that well.
    I did a rework idea of Darth Maul and Savage Oppress a while ago (which also contains a link to a Rework idea of Darth Sidious btw), I also did a kit idea for Maul (him during the time of the solo movie and the rebels cartoon) check them out, if you're interested:
    Maul and Savage rework idea's: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/223566/darth-maul-and-savage-opress-rework-ideas
    Maul kit idea: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/229183/maul-kit-idea
  • Options
    The thinking behind this addition to his kit was to better capture the maul we see in the prequels and at the start of the clone wars - dooku’s apprentice and assassin before he was discarded and went out on his own. Brutality was meant to try and quantify the idea that as he attacks successfully he gets more dangerous, but when he is frustrated by the enemy his ‘roll’ slows.

I think a maul focused on his criminal underworld that we see in the end of clone wars should be a new addition to the game - he has enough character growth that I think each stage of his life deserves to be split into 2 separate toons. I love the maul kit you have there ^^
  • Options
    ZiEiTiA95 wrote: »
    The thinking behind this addition to his kit was to better capture the maul we see in the prequels and at the start of the clone wars - dooku’s apprentice and assassin before he was discarded and went out on his own. Brutality was meant to try and quantify the idea that as he attacks successfully he gets more dangerous, but when he is frustrated by the enemy his ‘roll’ slows.

I think a maul focused on his criminal underworld that we see in the end of clone wars should be a new addition to the game - he has enough character growth that I think each stage of his life deserves to be split into 2 separate toons. I love the maul kit you have there ^^

Maul was never dooku's apprentice. Never. He was sidious' apprentice in the first movie and after that pretty much nobody's apprentice.
    But what darth maul represents the most is failure. He doesnt learm from his mistakes but does grow frpm his successes. This is quite nicely represented in his current unique (increasong stats and stacking health based on damage) and I tried to build even furture on in my rework idea. Specificaly that even in failure he still pushes onward and is quite a thread. Watch this video to see what I mean (I've linked to this one so many times, but its just a really good breakdown of an awesome fight.)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8sCQBBXNH_o&t=351s
    Another thing that bothets me is the little thibgs that dont work with his kit. His current unique has something in it that makes him recover 25% heatl whenever he deals any ammount of damage. What is 5% health steal going to do with that. He also already dazes enenmies with his other special. And the 2% damage increase for every turn taken, which gors direvtly aganst the failure thing I just mentioned.
    Finaly the loss on evade atrack. His kit has damage bonusses against jedi, yet they are the mosy evasion heavy team in the game. So the team that he is supposed to be the best against already counters him and this effect just made that even worse.
    Overall its not that bad of an idea, it just has sone things in it that bother me personally.
    P.s. glad you like my maul idea, thou which one? The rework of the old, the later new one, or both? Might be just me but isn't clear to me.
  • ZiEiTiA95
    11 posts Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Oh yea 😂😂. Senior moment there 😂

Keeping with the idea I’ve given how would you change it to remove the little bits you don’t like? Obvs remove the loss of brutality on evade, and could always switch out the health steal for max health?

The new one! Very cool kit
  • Options
    Oh yea 😂😂. Senior moment there 😂

Keeping with the idea I’ve given how would you change it to remove the little bits you don’t like? Obvs remove the loss of brutality on evade, and could always switch out the health steal for max health?

The new one! Very cool kit
    Thank you, glad you like the new one. (thou a little bit disappointed for the other one. But just a little)
    If I had to, I would probably do something like this:
    Dispel all buffs from target enemy, Stagger them for 1 turn, and Maul gains 1 stack of brutality until the end of battle. Then deal physical damage tot target enemy twice. This ability can't be Evaded or Countered, Starts on cooldwn, and has it's cooldown reduced by 1 whenever Maul Scores or Suffers a Critical Hit. In addition, enemies can't gain any positive effects during this turn. On a finishing blow, Maul gains a bonus turn.
    Brutality: +10% Critical Damage, Offence, and Accuracy per stack (max 10 Stacks). Can't be Prevented, Copied or Dispelled.
    But this is just a quick draft.
  • Options
    I like that! I feel like if it’s a high cooldown ability it needs some extra damage though? But the not being able to gain positive effects is nice.
  • Options
    I like that! I feel like if it’s a high cooldown ability it needs some extra damage though? But the not being able to gain positive effects is nice.
    That's not necessary at all. The damage an ability does is dependent on 2 things: The characters offensive stat that the ability uses and the ability's damage modifier. This is why certain abilities from the same character can do so much more damage. HK-47's assassination protocol for example (which does really high damage,even to non-jedi targets, this modifier is usually also what you upgrade when an upgrade reads +x% damage). So this ability just has a pretty high damage modifier. No extra damage numbers in the ability itself needed.
    Sebek wrote: »
    My Take on this is:
    New Thing on Unique:Whenever Maul uses a Special Ability or His attack is evaded, Maul gains a Stack of Brutality
    Brutality:+5% Critical Chance and Damage. Max Stacks of 10. Can't be Dispelled, Copied or Prevented.
    When Having 10 Stacks, Maul has New Ability:
    Special:Brutal Assault
    Description:Deal Physical damage to target enemy and Inflict Stun for 2 turns. This attack can't be Evaded nor Resisted. if Target Was Jedi, Gain a Bonus Turn. Then Maul Loses 8 Stacks of Brutality.
    That is pretty nice as well (even if the on evade doesn't really help with the doesn't learn from failure theme). The only thing that bothers me are the effects from brutality itself. I mean, maul already gains Critical Chance in his unique, and Payout also grants +50% Crit chance and damage on max stacks. So.. maybe +5% Offence and +10% Defense Penetration instead?
  • Options
    Nice thank you both for your feedback and ideas!