Gear 13 - The New Requirement for Legendary Events etc.

Prev13
KyJoe_Cool
1873 posts Member
Remember when Legendary events weren’t a chore? They were an experience. A fun one too. To me, those were the days. Sure there were certain toons that you needed to be able to play the event, but gear didn’t matter too much. That wasn’t the issue. The only real grind was getting the required toons to 7 star. (Remember the grind for Vet Han and Vet Chewie for JTR? Ahh... Good times, good times.) It really makes me wonder... Are the old Legendary events a thing of the past now?

Don’t believe me? Here are a few examples.

For the Grandmaster Yoda legendary event. Gear 7-8 Jedi, tap auto. LOL easy.

For the Emperor Palp legendary event. Gear 8 maybe gear 9 Rebels. Wiggs could do it easily at gear 8 and good mods.

For the Thrawn legendary event. You only needed gear 8-9 Phoenix, and with the right mods (focusing on protection to absorb thrawn’s fracture obviously) you could easily beat the event.

For the BB8 legendary event. Gear 8 and maybe one or two gear 9 FO and good mods was all you needed. Don’t know what more to say here. The event was really easy.

For the R2d2 legendary event. You only needed about gear 9 Empire (if you had TFP it was a cakewalk apparently) and the surly droid was yours.

For the Jedi Revan Ancient Journey event. You only needed gear 8 Old Rep, and you already beat the event. It was pathetically easy.

For the CLS Heroes Journey event. Gear 9 and maybe one gear 10 could easily do it.

Notice a trend here?

For the JTR Heroes Journey event. Gear 8 vets, gear 9 BB8, and gear 9-10 Rey and Finn was pretty much your ticket to getting the leader of a decent phase 1 HSTR team.

For the Darth Revan Ancient Journey event. You only needed around gear 9-10, at max one or two gear 11 of the Sith Empire/ Old rep toons with some strategy involved and you’d have one half of a long lasting meta right there.

For the Threepio legendary event. You only needed gear 9 Ewoks. A fast gear 12 elder was the exception if you really wanted to beat the event quickly.

For the OT Chewie legendary event. Bossk made the event easy with lower gear. Probably around gear 10-11. If you were like me and didn’t have Bossk at the time, you would’ve been able to beat the event with gear 12 Boba lead and gear 11 BH’s.

For the Padmé legendary event. There were so many ways to beat it... from gear 10 Geos (who a lot of people thought wouldn’t be possible because of assists, attacks out of turn, bonus protection, and Padmé’s unique ability... read up about it sometime for fun if you want) to GG droids (see gear below), and even what I used, gear 10 Nute lead. Point is? You could use almost any team to beat it. I’ve seen people who beat it with no one over gear 9. I’ve seen people beat it with one gear 12 and several gear 8-9. Apparently gear 13 GG made the event a cakewalk. See where I’m going with this at all?

Still don’t notice a trend? Wow. Tough crowd. Lol. See below.

For the Malak Epic Confrontation event. This one was a bit different as you needed 5 gear 12 Old Rep and 5 gear 12 Sith Empire to beat it. Sure there were a lot of retries. But that’s all. Just gear 12.

For the General Skywalker Epic Confrontation event. You needed gear 12-12.5 at the minimum. Gear 13 for one to two toons tops (i.e. one GR toon and one Sep toon) and with the right rng after several retries on phase 2 and 4, the General of the 501st was yours.

And not too long ago came GL’s. For GL’s. Every toon required for a GL needs to be gear 13 and with certain relic levels too. Some higher, some lower.

And now, here comes JKL. A toon that many of us, including myself, have been waiting for for years. My favorite character in the entire SW saga. And as luck would have it, he too has the same prerequisite, that every toon is required to be at the minimum gear 13 and relic level 3.

So to sum it all up...

TL;DR With the release of General Sky Guy and the fact that you needed at the minimum one to two gear 13 toons. And now this set of GL’s and JKL, along with their gear 13 and relic requirements, it makes me wonder... Is gear 13 with relics the new prerequisite for any and all new Legendary, Heroes Journey, Ancient Journey, Epic Confrontation, or Galactic Legend events moving forward? Or will we ever see the events of long ago when even gear 12 would do the trick?
Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ

Replies

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    So what? The game gets harder as we get better toons/gear etc. That's exactly how it should be.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    Also for GLs, you gear up toons, which are not needed for beating the event. Maybe it will also be the case for JKL?
  • Options
    It's funny that you don't ask about making gear grind easier. Of course g13 is a must now.
  • Options
    The game has evolved so much since then. Of course events are going to be harder now...
  • Options
    How willing you all are to just accept everything CG throws at you. Tsk tsk.
  • ImaSmakya
    1068 posts Member
    Options
    Many of those events were not easy when they first came out. I think some of them were even released before mods were introduced. I don't really like where things are going right now but what sort of new character would you expect to get at this point in the game if the requirements to get them were 5 g10 characters?
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    The event requirements these day are way over the top. But It won’t change. For an example, we will never see a legendary event requiring Resistance characters because guess what, we already have them...
  • Larx
    371 posts Member
    Options
    ehm....that's just normal?
  • gflegui
    294 posts Member
    Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    The event requirements these day are way over the top. But It won’t change. For an example, we will never see a legendary event requiring Resistance characters because guess what, we already have them...

There are none resistance characters left worth of a Legendary event I think.... nor First Order. With the GL’s they pretty much close the chapter of those two factions.... or there are some left.... wait... Flying Leia, Milk Drinker Luke, Snoke or Super robo Palpatine.... yes.... but as I said.... they close that chapter with the GL’s...
  • Options
    and again another thread where some people are complaining about everything. sorry i dont get it this event is affordable for every player who played around 2 and 1/2 years and were in a guild the whole time. If you cant except that a game after 5 years dont let you get a top 5 character with g10 toons is hard to discuss something. and please dont tell me that you never come to relic 3 as a f2p. maybe you should think like a f2p and horde a little bit to optain the things you can get and not complaining all the time about things you cant get.
  • Options
    You are comparing a time when rarity of a character was a limiting factor to now, when most veteran players have most but the new marquee characters at 7*. There is nothing exclusive about a legendary if you need g8 3 years old characters now.
  • DemonR
    68 posts Member
    Options
    You are comparing a time when rarity of a character was a limiting factor to now, when most veteran players have most but the new marquee characters at 7*. There is nothing exclusive about a legendary if you need g8 3 years old characters now.

But why does it need to be exclusive? Thrawn, CLS, BB8, etc are not exclusive.

Why cant they allow a g10 unlock for a mediocre toon - like Shaak level good for example?

Obviously because they dont want to.

But you make it seem like all legendaries need to be exclusive... thats your rule, not the galaxys.
  • KM1
    145 posts Member
    Options
    D_ToX wrote: »
    The events have always been a bit difficult, nothing has changed there but if you don’t have the right requirements it becomes an RNG lotto and guess what the requirements were always top end, it’s a legendary you know!
    What has surprised me about this release there is no new characters required and that is a surprise.

But that was up to the player, there was no CG bouncer saying you couldn't try with lower geared toons (and theory crafting). But now, it's their way or the highway
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    DemonR wrote: »

Why cant they allow a g10 unlock for a mediocre toon - like Shaak level good for example?

But you make it seem like all legendaries need to be exclusive... thats your rule, not the galaxys.

They were all exclusive when they first came out. When Thrawn came the first time, Phoenix had just been released. He was extremely difficult to 7* right away. When BB8 came out there were only 5 FO available to use, they were not easy farms, and few people had them all ready. CLS was the first time that specific named characters were required, and tons of people missed him because they didn't have those particular characters ready.

There has never been an event character that wasn't exclusive in some manner on release.
  • Options
    If the gear crunch changed it wouldn't be a big deal. As a long time player I get tired of the endless farm from 8-12. I can't imagine the dauntless task for mid to low level spenders who are new.
  • DemonR
    68 posts Member
    Options
    Liath wrote: »
    DemonR wrote: »

They were all exclusive when they first came out. When Thrawn came the first time, Phoenix had just been released. He was extremely difficult to 7* right away. When BB8 came out there were only 5 FO available to use, they were not easy farms, and few people had them all ready. CLS was the first time that specific named characters were required, and tons of people missed him because they didn't have those particular characters ready.

There has never been an event character that wasn't exclusive in some manner on release.

Sort of - id suggest some of those were easier for say, dolphins than todays requirements tho.

More importantly, there was none of this **** gear requirement gate - the gates have undeniably got not only GREATER (which is one thing), but significantly COMPARABLY greater.
  • Options
    So you are pointing out that as a game advances and max gear level increases (read: power creep), the requirements for new content get higher? Shocking revelation.

G13+ has been the recommended (if not required) gear for all new events created after relics were released, so you should probably get used to it.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    It's not fair that I can't get Jedi Luke with G8 Phoenix.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    man, so many parody threads lately. I approve. G9 ewoks for 3po lololol good stuff
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    So if I bothered to search through this forum, how many threads would I find about how easy the Thrawn, Chewie, C-3PO, and Revan events were at the time of release?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    The issue I have is not the exclusivity but now the goal moved from star and some gear to star and hard gear reqs.
    The Revan, Malak and GAS events required a base power level m. That level could go up by plenty with zeta’s which are far more easier to get than high end in demand gear. So what does CG do? Hard gear reqs forcing more spending.

This issue is the tighter stranglehold CG is putting on these toons to force more spending. I get they have to make money, and even to a degree get the insane reqs for GL’s given their power. But R3 for toons nobody would relic otherwise outside of 3PO, CLS and chewy is just dumb. Especially a toon that isn’t going to be meta defining or even really hold a top spot in arena.

No I’ll pass this round and hope many do as well. Too much greed from CG keeps me not wanting to waste money on this game and spend it elsewhere.
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    If they still gated by stars all long time players would get it without spending a dime. That's not the point of these releases.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    If they still gated by stars all long time players would get it without spending a dime. That's not the point of these releases.

senior citizens get a discount, they don't eat for free
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

senior citizens get a discount, they don't eat for free

Don't tell me how to eat, boy.
  • Options
    Based on the OP theory, if an event comes out for the Mandalorian crew, the gear requirements should be much lower since these toons are all new.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I'll take the op question at head value: is g13 a universal need for the events?

Probably. Maybe not. This is the 2nd leg of a hero's journey, it's actually a type we have never seen before, there have never been a continuation beyond getting the Hero. GLs are set. Epic confrontation of the future: almost a given g13+ needs. Legendary: maybe not, maybe a gp barrier and g13 required optionally merely by the difficulty of the event but not as entry requirement.

Them not addressing matchmaking problems new reqs cause AND not doing reworks is wildly at odds with eachother.
  • Ravens1113
    5215 posts Member
    Options
    No I agree, but pairing that with requires relic levels is going too far. Why not the 20k power like before with GAS? Still makes them money no?
  • TVF
    36623 posts Member
    Options
    or does it