Max Health Changes

I have looked for an answer for this but can't seem to find it. How do changes to max health or max protection work for characters not at full health/protection?

For example, let's say my Malak has max health of 100,000 but is at 70,000 health vs. GAS. GAS hits him for 21,000 and reduces his Max Health by 10% to 90,000. Before reduction he would be at 49,000/100,000 (49% health, yellow), but I notice that after the hit his health bar goes back to green, indicating more than 50% health. That makes sense if his current health is unchanged at 49,000 but his new max health is 90,000 (54%).

Is this how it works, or does a reduction in max health also reduce the amount of current health if the current health is already under the max health? That is, would Malak's health be reduced to 49% of 90,000 in the above scenario?

The question also applies in reverse for max health increases. If Malak's health is full at 100,000, and he gains 10% max health, does he now have 110,000 max health and current health? Or does he have 110,000 max health but still 100,000 current health? Or with Palp's Unique zeta, when he gains 5% max protection, does he actually gain protection, or just the capacity for more protection with protection recovery?

I understand if a character has 100,000 max and current health and it is reduced to 90,000 that it drops to 90,000 current health as well since current health could never be greater than max.

Thanks for any insight.

Replies

• Options
    I think if your max health decreases your current health stays the same (except if that is more than the reduced max health) And if your max health increases the percentage will stay the same (if you are at 90 000/100 000 health and you increase your max health with 10%, you will be at 99 000/110 000 (at 90%)).

But that's what I think. I'm not 100% sure
  • Options
    My understanding is it either raises or lowers the capacity of the stat, but does not affect current value , ie : if you're at 55k/100k and get a 10% max health upgrade, you're now at 55k/110k (or if it was a 10% loss youd be 55k/90k)
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I think Sanderzas and Magruffin are both right. Now if it said destroy 10% of current health then, obviously, the max health wouldn't change and your current health would change.
    Post edited by TheMaster12345 on
  • Options
    I'm quite sure that if you increase your max health and you're at full health you stay at full health
  • Options
    Good topic since it is a confusing concept, and it doesn’t appear to be completely consistent.

Another thing to consider the Health Up buff and Health Down debuff. I don’t remember having missing health when either of these wear off.

As an SLKR owner, I have seen Hux’s health bar change colors during raids simply from gaining turn meter (going from yellow to green). That would indicate that he’s losing max health but retaining his current health. And SLKR (maybe others on the team too) certainly gains protection along with max protection when losing turn meter.
  • Options
    I think the color is based off the normal percent health. I mean, protection up for instance. 50% would show 50% of your health bar on your protection. As you increase the max health though, you can see the change on the protection bar.

Switch this. As the health decreases, the bar should reflect the change. If you increase max health, the bar shows the change. So, say you start on 100k health, and it is decreased by 10%, and you end up on 49k health, then it would be green, as 49k isn’t half of 90k, it is just over...

If you understood any of this, congrats. I didn’t, I was just typing and hoping it made sense
  • Options
    If you increase max health, the percentage of current health stays the same. Meaning if you have 100 max health but only have 50 current health, and then you gain 100 max health (like from Nihilus’s Annihilate), you stay at that 50%, so you’d be at 100 health of 200.

It’s anecdotal, but I think that’s true because I use the Nihilus strategy in the Jedi assault battles. My Nihilus has 34k health. If I annihilate one guy that has 174k health, he stays at whatever percentage health he had before the annihilate. I say this because he’s been his for 40k afterward and not been killed.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    as said above, a decrease in max health can appear as an increase in actual health (bar goes up to green) but it is not an actual increase in health. it's just that the health is a higher % of the total (reduced) max health
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    Gifafi wrote: »
    as said above, a decrease in max health can appear as an increase in actual health (bar goes up to green) but it is not an actual increase in health. it's just that the health is a higher % of the total (reduced) max health

It’s just weird because it’s not consistent. When Daka or Nihilus gain max health the % stays the same. When SLKR or 501st gain max health they gain the same amount as actual health. When SLKR or a GAS opponent lose max health their actual heath doesn’t change. As a theorycrafter this all drives me insane.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Gifafi wrote: »

It’s just weird because it’s not consistent. When Daka or Nihilus gain max health the % stays the same. When SLKR or 501st gain max health they gain the same amount as actual health. When SLKR or a GAS opponent lose max health their actual heath doesn’t change. As a theorycrafter this all drives me insane.

yeah I was going to add I haven't noticed anyone going from green to yellow or w/e when gaining max health. then there's the whole prot is based on health, unless it isn't? idk, I just mash "buttons" lol
  • Options
    I've been thinking about this since my Rey and protection gains post earlier. Here's what my best guess is:

Max Health gains will always "give" health. Example: Nihilus annihilates and gains 50k Max Health will also give him 50k health points.

Max Health decreases take away from the top but won't take health away unless the amount being subtracted reaches your current health.
    Examples: Nest has 80k Max Health but has 75k current health. Her Max Health is decreased by 10k so her Max Health goes to 70k. Since her current health pool is more than that, she loses 5k bringing her to 70k or 100% health.

Think of a water bottle. If I have a bottle with 80% water and I take a katana and slice it half, I will lose some water. If I just take the top off, it's "filled" percentage is closer to 100%. It may look like you gained water (going from yellow to green health) but the percentage just changed, not the amount.

Again... my best guess. Who really knows.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    That's a really good point @Tanzos2
  • Options
    Tanzos2 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this since my Rey and protection gains post earlier. Here's what my best guess is:

Max Health gains will always "give" health. Example: Nihilus annihilates and gains 50k Max Health will also give him 50k health points.

Max Health decreases take away from the top but won't take health away unless the amount being subtracted reaches your current health.
    Examples: Nest has 80k Max Health but has 75k current health. Her Max Health is decreased by 10k so her Max Health goes to 70k. Since her current health pool is more than that, she loses 5k bringing her to 70k or 100% health.

Think of a water bottle. If I have a bottle with 80% water and I take a katana and slice it half, I will lose some water. If I just take the top off, it's "filled" percentage is closer to 100%. It may look like you gained water (going from yellow to green health) but the percentage just changed, not the amount.

Again... my best guess. Who really knows.

Good example. I agree with that logic.