Gearing GAS vs gearing for Jedi Luke

OnlyZuul
17 posts Member
I’m FTP, and the gear crunch being what it is, I have to choose which to prioritize. I unlocked GAS and was able to 7* him quickly (hoarded GET). He is currently GL12, but my 501st clones are poorly geared. If I gear that team, I suspect there is no way I will be ready for the next Jedi Luke event.

Is GAS worth putting off unlocking Luke? It seems like Luke will be a very flexible character, where GAS only fully realizes his potential with the 501st team.

Replies

• Guar
    44 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I would say it’s dependent on your guild, but even then I would veer slightly more towards JKL.
    If you need GAS for the nightmare that is LSTB, then finish gearing him and clones to benefit your guild. You also need Shaak and Clones for KAM so it’s a win/win.

JKL is Light Side, so you could also argue that he is useful for LSTB too, and you’d be right, but GAS is more useful since he is Republic and has special missions.

However, in my experience, having stars is more important than gear because gear is easier to farm in most cases. Always sucks to be in a shard crunch and we might need JKL in a few months, especially with a new game mode coming.
    Case and point, I missed JKL because I had 5* Wampa and no GET.

I vote JKL. Better safe than sorry.
  • MasterSeedy
    5042 posts Member
    Options
    Gear doesn't become available for only a week once every 4 months.

Prepare for JKL, then do clones while you're waiting for the JKL event to show up.
  • Options
    Finish gearing the GAS team since you already have GAS at 7*. They are much more important that JKL. Once they’re all done, then gear for JKL, even if it means you won’t be able to get him soon.
  • Options
    My guild is pretty casual, which is part of the gear shortage (particularly things GET might buy). I’m the only member with GAS. Geonosis LSTB is hardly in the picture. We are doing DS, but only get a few stars.

Every toon needed for Luke is starred up, and most are some state of GL12. So I need all the same gear for all of them.
  • Options
    @OnlyZuul

Got a link to your SWGOH.gg page?
  • Options
    @OnlyZuul

Got a link to your SWGOH.gg page?

Sure thing.

https://swgoh.gg/p/778412725/characters/
  • MasterSeedy
    5042 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I thought that looking at your toons might give me reason to rethink.

It really doesn't. I think you can get those toons relic'd in 3 months. I can't be sure, of course, but I think you'll make it if your first priority is JKL, while going the other route you need a lot of gear for 501st if you're going to use ARC (And Ahsoka is needed for Padmé squad) and I think there's no way you make the deadline if you gear 501st before JKL requirements.

The most obvious candidates for quick increase are Chewie (to go with your Relic Han and boost your Rebel fleet) and Wampa (who goes so well with your Relic Vader and can plug-and-play with a couple other squads). Start hulking out on those, because even if you change your mind later, you could use help with your Rebel fleet and your NewVader squad. You're not going to regret those decisions later no matter what happens. (Of course, I think you won't change your mind, but I'm just saying those are safe investments that would have been good priorities even without JKL.)

I'm not sure what your crystal budget and gear economy are like - depends where you finish in your guild's raids & a bunch of other things - but if you can average 1 toon to relic per week, you should be able to do JKL next time round quite easily.

Fair warning: when I was going after GL Rey, there were fits and starts and it was easier to average 2 toons relic'd in two weeks than 1 in one week. It's a matter of different toons needing different g12 gear, but taking a while to farm it all - often about two weeks.

Most of the gear for your toons under g12 is different, but you can need a stun gun prototype here or a Mk8 eyeball there as a component in g12 finished pieces.

Use that so that you can focus on 2 different sub-g12 toons at a time (check them to see that not too much gear overlaps). As long as you can keep gaining 2 new g12 toons every time you raise 2 toons to relic, the production line continues smoothly and you should be able to handle this just fine.

So I still recommend focus on JKL. GAS can be used as a strong addition to other squads while you're waiting to finish the 501st team.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what your crystal budget and gear economy are like - depends where you finish in your guild's raids & a bunch of other things - but if you can average 1 toon to relic per week, you should be able to do JKL next time round quite easily.

Arena: 60/day (occasionally 75)
    Fleet: 50/day
    HPit: top 10
    HAAT: top 4
    HSTR: top 2 (2 of us carry the guild in this one)

The guild has been averaging 16k tickets/day lately, so raids aren’t as frequent as they could be.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think you can make JKL.

The crystal budget is going to be 200-ish instead of up near 400 where I would like to see it for this kind of effort, but the gear budget with consistent top2 finishes in HSTR more than makes up for that.

Yes, the HSTR happens just barely more than 1/2 as often as in other guilds, but the top 3 rewards every time - you're going to get a ton of completed g12 pieces that will be better than you would get finishing 11th but raiding twice as often.

However....

You really should think of a guild merger. There are a ton of good people out there who love the game but are in guilds that can't do what they should.

Obviously what you really want are the best people possible - having good folks you like to talk to makes all the difference in this game. But if I were you,I'd also be looking for a guild that wants to merge with a more powerful guild so that they can start earning HSTR when they can't get it done now.

And... as it happens, I have a guild in mind. Someone I correspond with, a newer player, is in a guild of only 8-10 people. I doubt they're doing HSTR, so they could increase your raid tickets and you could offer them rewards that they wouldn't get at all on their own. (11th place in HSTR is still better than not raiding at all.)

If you like, I can send them a message about this idea. I'd really like to help you both, and I think that this would. I can't guarantee that they would be interested. I don't know more than one person in the guild, but I like to think that they would all see the benefit of joining together.
  • Options
    Oh, I just noticed that your guild has 47 members.

With your ticket level, though, I would expect that you can easily find members that not only haven't logged in for the last 24 hours, but probably at least 1-2 that haven't logged in for a week.

You have to consider whether you're willing to take someone off your rolls if they're not participating in your guild. I think it's completely fair to do so, but some guilds are afraid both of being unfair and of not being able to replace players as they leave.

I don't think you should be afraid of that, especially if I can broker a merger, but just generally. If people aren't playing, then they won't be hurt by being removed from your guild. And if people aren't playing, your guild doesn't lose anything by removing them from your membership.

Okay, going to check in with that other player now.
  • OnlyZuul
    17 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The crystal budget is going to be 200-ish instead of up near 400 where I would like to see it for this kind of effort, but the gear budget with consistent top2 finishes in HSTR more than makes up for that.

Yes, the HSTR happens just barely more than 1/2 as often as in other guilds, but the top 3 rewards every time - you're going to get a ton of completed g12 pieces that will be better than you would get finishing 11th but raiding twice as often.

My arena shard is brutal. I started the month CLS was released and got lumped in with a huge number of whales rolling alts to fast track him. When Millennium Falcon was still meta I was hammering fleet, but with the low GET income no negotiator for me.
    Post edited by OnlyZuul on