GAC SpinOff New Game Mode

An always on game mode that resembled a one round GAC. You'd join and then have a 1 hour matchmaking period. If at the end of one hour no match was found in your division you'd have to try again. After the one hour matchmaking period you'd have a 1 hour set up period. After that a 1 hour attack phase. Then collect loot. You could reduce the matchmaking and setup phases down to 30 or even 15 minutes to speed things up. Loot could be equivalent to a chromium pack to keep it from being a required farm, or slightly better.

This would give us something always available and repeatable, and give us the opportunity to try new things and theorycraft.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    It's an interesting concept, but the timeline seems a bit rough for the average player. Probably wouldnt be able to offer rewards for something so limited as it wouldnt be fair to player who may not be able to get battles during times they are free.
  • Options
    Yea, this isn't supposed to be about the rewards, its about replayable fun content. A place to experiment or just pass the time.
  • Joebo720
    654 posts Member
    Options
    Pretty good idea though would need to be faster in my opinion. 5 minutes each phase so it can be done in a sitting. Though they would have to dangle some sort of carrot to keep participation high to keep wait times down.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kaelandros wrote: »
    Yea, this isn't supposed to be about the rewards, its about replayable fun content. A place to experiment or just pass the time.

I only brought up rewards because you did. without those there is less of an issue.
  • Options
    Joebo720 wrote: »
    Pretty good idea though would need to be faster in my opinion. 5 minutes each phase so it can be done in a sitting. Though they would have to dangle some sort of carrot to keep participation high to keep wait times down.

You could probably get away with 5 minutes for matchmaking and setup, but you really have to stick to 1 hour for attack phase. Though I imagine 5 minute matchmaking would just lead to more failed attempts.
    Kyno wrote: »
    I only brought up rewards because you did. without those there is less of an issue.

Right, thats why I suggested Chromium pack level rewards. Not enough to make it the reason you participate a lot, but also not nothing at all.
  • TVF
    36773 posts Member
    Options
    tomostef wrote: »
    Why cant u put on headline "sugestion" warning?! I dont want to read random suggestions...

I normally agree but something would have already been announced if this wasn't just a suggestion.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Joebo720 wrote: »

You could probably get away with 5 minutes for matchmaking and setup, but you really have to stick to 1 hour for attack phase. Though I imagine 5 minute matchmaking would just lead to more failed attempts.

Right, thats why I suggested Chromium pack level rewards. Not enough to make it the reason you participate a lot, but also not nothing at all.

It's a good concept but for how limited the time is for someone to be able to participate, there shouldnt be rewards. Players will always want what is offered and since some players would just not be able to do it in such a limited timeframe, best to keep it fair to all.
  • Options
    It's a good concept but for how limited the time is for someone to be able to participate, there shouldnt be rewards. Players will always want what is offered and since some players would just not be able to do it in such a limited timeframe, best to keep it fair to all.

Hey, I'd gladly strip all the rewards out to get it implemented! I'd use it all the time rewards or no.

• Options

You apparently are ignorant of CG 's gaming philosophy. Your comment above would be laughed at by the decision-makers.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    Apparently, this is going to be too expensive. I'm not talking about effort implementing it, but about what it means in terms of match making and result calculations on the server side, CG likely has to purchase much more server capacity. Thus too expensive.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Antario wrote: »
    Apparently, this is going to be too expensive. I'm not talking about effort implementing it, but about what it means in terms of match making and result calculations on the server side, CG likely has to purchase much more server capacity. Thus too expensive.

What nothing original? Probably too expensive to think of something new to say when not saying anything relevant.
  • el_mago
    753 posts Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What nothing original? Probably too expensive to think of something new to say when not saying anything relevant. [/quote]

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

I completely agree with you kyno.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Options

What nothing original? Probably too expensive to think of something new to say when not saying anything relevant.

You close all the threads of people giving more relevant criticism, so yes, it is too expensive.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options

You are beating the wrong guy. I was not trolling. What I meant is real. What OP is looking for is "GAC (almost) in real time". I'm pretty much sure current GAC match making and global result calculations are run as background batch jobs. Imagine with the "new game mode" server need to do these calculations on the fly non-stop. I honestly don't think the current server capacity can handle such a CPU consumption. As I said, it's not about implementing it, it is about operating it, which will be too expensive.
  • TVF
    36773 posts Member
    Options
    Lysandrax wrote: »

You close all the threads of people giving more relevant criticism, so yes, it is too expensive.

All, huh?

Ahnald thread doesn't count?

It's actually quite rare that a thread is closed here, and most of those are archived for bugs that go to the other site.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Lysandrax wrote: »

I'm glad to know you can also be wrong and have nothing relevant to add.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

You are beating the wrong guy. I was not trolling. What I meant is real. What OP is looking for is "GAC (almost) in real time". I'm pretty much sure current GAC match making and global result calculations are run as background batch jobs. Imagine with the "new game mode" server need to do these calculations on the fly non-stop. I honestly don't think the current server capacity can handle such a CPU consumption. As I said, it's not about implementing it, it is about operating it, which will be too expensive.

The response you are echoing was not stated as a source of money for upgrades, but as a statement of development resources, i.e. - personnel time. So what you are deriving from that statement is:

either trolling or misrepresenting yourself as an employee who would have such relevant perspective on the situation.

Both of which are not relevant, helpful, or constructive to the conversation.