Rey fix could be this Simple

I've been reading the forum post back and forth about Rey needing to be buffed because Kylo is so much better now and so on....

I feel like the fix is pretty simple, all that's required is to add a little text to Rey that states "at the beginning of the battle if all allies are resistance, all allies become inspired" then you have Rey hold the blanket buffs for what inspired does for resistance characters so they don't have to go touch up the kits for every resistance character(not that it isn't needed, just know the odds of that are low).

Pretty much just have a copy and paste from Finns rally ability:
When a "resistance" or "lightside"(could make it specific to resistance but not necessary) ally becomes inspired they gain the following bonus based on their role:

Tanks gain taunt and crit immunity
Attackers gain forsight and %offense stacking
Supports gain %max health stacking or ?

I believe this would then allow for a full resistance squad under Rey without having to draw from 4 of your best squads while shoring up the weaknesses of the current resistance line up. Like the fact that their is no pre-taunting tank, can't crit while they have advantage and lacking the durability as Kylo starts to stack stats.

Overall I'm not completely married to the bonuses but I think that solves alot of the problems without making Rey too powerful outside of the resistance tag.

Anyways, just looking for discussion and possible revisions in case I'm missing something that either makes this too OP of a fix or not enough.

Replies

• Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Options
    She's powerful enough with her game-breaking ult stance bug
  • Options
    Lysandrax wrote: »

Mocking is not funny already. If you make yourself a Ray, you will realize that this is a character full of pain and frustration at the moment).
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Options
    Mirlighter wrote: »

Mocking is not funny already. If you make yourself a Ray, you will realize that this is a character full of pain and frustration at the moment).

Mocking who?
    I'm not mocking people with Reys.
    And people with Reys aren't the only one's experiencing tribulations. Rey's get stuck in their stance, this effects everyone.
  • Options
    Miss I-can-do-anything-without-experience-or-training is already strong enough. My arena is "balanced" with the top 50 being Gleys and Glylos all over the place.
  • Options
    Wasting your time all the Kylo owners who are loving life will come on and tell you she doesn’t need a buff, it’s alright one being worse in every area of the game than the other.
  • str2019
    64 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Typically you first identify the issues and after devise ways to correct them. So even though I'll say I like you borrowing some of Finn's text to match Kylo's advantage buffs you really have to start from what is currently wrong with Rey.

Currently wrong:
    1. Vader defeats Rey too easily. Sith Empire defeats Rey too easily. JKR+GAS defeats Rey too easily.
    2. Kylo charges ult up too fast vs. Rey. The originally advertised "taking risk" moment is not there anymore.
    3. Kylo cannot be defeated by Rey's non-ult or her team members' damage if the team does not include GAS (or JKL).
    4. Rey's team overall gets easily evaporated vs. Kylo.

If you devise buffs to hit these issues they could look like this:
    1 and 2: Rey's Lifeblood's Crit Immunity changed to undispellable and unpreventable. This would make it more difficult for Vader & co to OHKO Rey and on the other hand slow Kylo's charging. It would match nicely Kylo's Stasis strike which includes a similarly boosted stun. Would also give purpose to having the Crit Immunity in the first place as currently there is none (Kylo's Stasis strike removes all buffs..).
    3: Make RH Poe's unique actually unique. Make its %health damage to pierce %health damage resistance, which is badly needed when Kylo's team can include up to 3 %health damage resistant characters. Because of this Poe currently has no purpose and does not pose a threat to Kylo.
    4: Add the Support role to Rey or Hero Finn so that the healing effect of Hero Finn's special is always activated at least once. This would give Rey's team some chance that they are not all just going to die immediately vs. Kylo's overpowering AOE damage.
  • str2019
    64 posts Member
    Options
    I wrote you a long response but it disappeared. :(
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    str2019 wrote: »
    I wrote you a long response but it disappeared. :(

Found it :)
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options

What's the bug?
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »

What's the bug?

Just one example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KimLWfbC3Ss

I've also seen where the other Rey activates ult, you do 1 damage as expected, she comes out of ult, and then you're still doing 1 damage.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »

What's the bug?

Just one example

I've also seen where the other Rey activates ult, you do 1 damage as expected, she comes out of ult, and then you're still doing 1 damage.

Weird, does this happen with Kylo as well?
  • Options
    Buffing Rey would break any balance between the two GLs. If everyone wants more synergy between Rey and resistance, it would be better to buff other resistance toons to make that synergy. Jedi with Rey are already better than SLKR.

Think about what the FO support do for SLKR: give SLKR more turns, call SLKR to assist, and keep direct attacks away from SLKR (tanks). That’s about it.

Rey, on the other hand, keeps everyone alive and uses health manipulation to keep getting her 1 hit kills.

I know a lot of people want Rey to be good with resistance, but I feel like that’s people just trying to force a team on her. She’s the more pay to play GL because she gets supporting toons on the light side like JKL, GAS and JKR.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Options
    Buffing Rey would break any balance between the two GLs. If everyone wants more synergy between Rey and resistance, it would be better to buff other resistance toons to make that synergy. Jedi with Rey are already better than SLKR.

Think about what the FO support do for SLKR: give SLKR more turns, call SLKR to assist, and keep direct attacks away from SLKR (tanks). That’s about it.

Rey, on the other hand, keeps everyone alive and uses health manipulation to keep getting her 1 hit kills.

I know a lot of people want Rey to be good with resistance, but I feel like that’s people just trying to force a team on her. She’s the more pay to play GL because she gets supporting toons on the light side like JKL, GAS and JKR.

You forgot a few things that FO does. FO removes buffs from enemy team, removes debuffs from your own team, blocks counterattacks and TM gain, stops FO from receiving critical hits, and has tanks that are immune to % health effects that also have a persistent undispellable taunt.

Trust me, as a rey owner it's PAINFULLY difficult to figure out any reliable counter to Kylo unless you have all the top meta LS characters together. While this might seem like a balance to you in the arena, it's NOT. Because Kylo's top team is all FO which makes for a HUGE advantage in GAC and TW. For Rey to beat Kylo, she needs to use 3-4 top meta leaders in her team which neuters your whole roster. Meanwhile Rey because she's "defensive" she has no real threat to her like Kylo does and can be countered for 60 banners much more reliably than Kylo.

While I think some of these ideas are great, especially the locked crit immunity (it should last for 2 turns like Kylo stun does). Another option is to give Rey's crit immunity something similar to Kylo. "If this is dispelled without taking damage reapply crit immunity immediately for 2 turns". It would stop the mass dispels but Kylo's AOE would eventually wear it off.

OR

Change inspired. Currently inspired is gained in 3 stacks, and 1 stack is lost whenever critically hit. I'd say instead change it to, "While inspired, light side allies are immune to critical hits, a stack of inspired is lost whenever damaged by an opponent". So things like DOTs wouldn't remove inspired, but direct attacks would, and if someone attacked 3 times they could remove the entire stack. This is a very similar mechanic to Kylo and his Advantage which constantly reapplies itself due to his team. It would make Finn and Poe much more relevant to the team as they could spread inspired, and would make it much harder for Kylo to build up his repeated ultimate loops vs Rey teams.

OR

Allow Rey to rebuild her ultimate meter while in ultimate similar to how Kylo does. This would let Rey users more quickly get to a second ultimate which could allow Rey to be able to counter Kylo.

OR

ANYTHING... LITERALLY ANYTHING to buff Rey so she's more reliable against Kylo without needing EVERY previous meta in her team. I've had teams that I've spent 5 battles on trying to beat a Kylo with my Rey team. Swapping characters, mods, turn order, different tanks, different tactics, and really it came down to RNG of how Kylo's team swapped turns to have any chance of beating it. I'm quickly being locked out of top 5 in my shard despite having R7 ult rey and team, because I don't have JKL, or a 7* Wat.
  • str2019
    64 posts Member
    Options
    Daishi wrote: »
    ANYTHING... LITERALLY ANYTHING to buff Rey so she's more reliable against Kylo without needing EVERY previous meta in her team. I've had teams that I've spent 5 battles on trying to beat a Kylo with my Rey team. Swapping characters, mods, turn order, different tanks, different tactics, and really it came down to RNG of how Kylo's team swapped turns to have any chance of beating it. I'm quickly being locked out of top 5 in my shard despite having R7 ult rey and team, because I don't have JKL, or a 7* Wat.

She indeed has a very bad win rate no matter who she brings with her. Some people here are trying to paint it such that Rey can win if she uses the best composition but that is not the case. These people are still in the denial phase and over time will change their views. Even a 65% win rate is not acceptable if Kylo has an offensive win rate of over 90%. There is a reason to why we see Reys complaining en masse with no Kyloes doing the same.

CG originally balanced the GLs as per their best team compositions and Resistance never was the best for Rey, which partially explains the problem why Kylo can go full FO and Rey cannot.
  • Options

You forgot a few things that FO does. FO removes buffs from enemy team, removes debuffs from your own team, blocks counterattacks and TM gain, stops FO from receiving critical hits, and has tanks that are immune to % health effects that also have a persistent undispellable taunt.

Trust me, as a rey owner it's PAINFULLY difficult to figure out any reliable counter to Kylo unless you have all the top meta LS characters together. While this might seem like a balance to you in the arena, it's NOT. Because Kylo's top team is all FO which makes for a HUGE advantage in GAC and TW. For Rey to beat Kylo, she needs to use 3-4 top meta leaders in her team which neuters your whole roster. Meanwhile Rey because she's "defensive" she has no real threat to her like Kylo does and can be countered for 60 banners much more reliably than Kylo.

While I think some of these ideas are great, especially the locked crit immunity (it should last for 2 turns like Kylo stun does). Another option is to give Rey's crit immunity something similar to Kylo. "If this is dispelled without taking damage reapply crit immunity immediately for 2 turns". It would stop the mass dispels but Kylo's AOE would eventually wear it off.

OR

Change inspired. Currently inspired is gained in 3 stacks, and 1 stack is lost whenever critically hit. I'd say instead change it to, "While inspired, light side allies are immune to critical hits, a stack of inspired is lost whenever damaged by an opponent". So things like DOTs wouldn't remove inspired, but direct attacks would, and if someone attacked 3 times they could remove the entire stack. This is a very similar mechanic to Kylo and his Advantage which constantly reapplies itself due to his team. It would make Finn and Poe much more relevant to the team as they could spread inspired, and would make it much harder for Kylo to build up his repeated ultimate loops vs Rey teams.

OR

Allow Rey to rebuild her ultimate meter while in ultimate similar to how Kylo does. This would let Rey users more quickly get to a second ultimate which could allow Rey to be able to counter Kylo.

OR

To your points:

Removes buffs: yea I forgot that, but Hux typically only does it once before dying.

Removes debuffs: typically a non factor because GLs are immune to most debuffs that you would care about.

Blocks counterattacks: only with Hux lead...how often do you see those?

Tm gain: I feel like this one is just being petty. This was covered under “give SLKR more turns.” Also, you realize that SLKR weakens your team when they gain Tm right?

Stop FO from receiving critical hits: SLKR does that...not the supporting cast. Even if it were the supporting cast, Rey has whirlwind...use it.

Tanks immune to %health: who are you using that needs that % health damage to get KRU down? Regardless of the answer, take that toon off your team and replace with someone better.

Persistent taunt: you mean like GK?

Rey might be a little worse as a GL right now, but you have much better options to work with her. SLKR is very limited in who works with him.

I guess I just don’t understand how people can be upset for CG buffing a character they don’t have, and at the same time, think they buffing a character they do have will bring balance.
  • marxuke
    163 posts Member
    Options
    Btw... which modding do u use Rey in Genosis TB. Her team seems to be piece of sh... sry, but such a legendary should do bit better. She cant even take a toon with her 2nd special.
  • Options
    marxuke wrote: »
    Btw... which modding do u use Rey in Genosis TB. Her team seems to be piece of sh... sry, but such a legendary should do bit better. She cant even take a toon with her 2nd special.

Lol that’s a different issue. Her whirlwind does about 300k damage and a lot of those enemies have much more health/protection than that.
  • Options

OR

OR

OR

To your points:

Removes buffs: yea I forgot that, but Hux typically only does it once before dying.

Removes debuffs: typically a non factor because GLs are immune to most debuffs that you would care about.

Blocks counterattacks: only with Hux lead...how often do you see those?

Tm gain: I feel like this one is just being petty. This was covered under “give SLKR more turns.” Also, you realize that SLKR weakens your team when they gain Tm right?

Stop FO from receiving critical hits: SLKR does that...not the supporting cast. Even if it were the supporting cast, Rey has whirlwind...use it.

Tanks immune to %health: who are you using that needs that % health damage to get KRU down? Regardless of the answer, take that toon off your team and replace with someone better.

Persistent taunt: you mean like GK?

Rey might be a little worse as a GL right now, but you have much better options to work with her. SLKR is very limited in who works with him.

I guess I just don’t understand how people can be upset for CG buffing a character they don’t have, and at the same time, think they buffing a character they do have will bring balance.

Just get lost from the topic you don't know nothing about. It's really not the place for SLKR owners to argue or complain how limited he is.
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options
    marxuke wrote: »

Sorry but you're using her wrong if you think her team is bad in TB.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

What's the bug?

Just one example

I've only experienced it with Rey v. Rey.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • TVF
    36611 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

What's the bug?

Just one example

I've seen it in HAAT FWIW.
  • Options
    There has always been an element of gambling when a person chooses to whale on a toon. That usually takes the form of "how many shard packs will I have to buy to promote a toon?"
    With the introduction of Galactic Legends, the gamble morphed into "which is the better toon" unbeknownst to the player.
    End of the day, all those that invested in SLKR are happy, and those that invested in Rey are not.
    As one who bought Rey, I can say that my desire to spend has dropped to zero. I know I can't be the only one.
  • Jarvind
    3926 posts Member
    Options
    Good news, you can fix your broken Rey all by yourself with zero dev intervention! You just need to

hbi2dqzdmzxd.gif
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

What's the bug?

Just one example

I've seen it in HAAT FWIW.

To be fair, SLKR glitches on raids too. If you enter ultimate at the end of a phase, he’ll stay in that stance for all of next phase. Just watch out for annihilate lol.
  • Options
    str2019 wrote: »
    Typically you first identify the issues and after devise ways to correct them. So even though I'll say I like you borrowing some of Finn's text to match Kylo's advantage buffs you really have to start from what is currently wrong with Rey.

Currently wrong:
    1. Vader defeats Rey too easily. Sith Empire defeats Rey too easily. JKR+GAS defeats Rey too easily.
    2. Kylo charges ult up too fast vs. Rey. The originally advertised "taking risk" moment is not there anymore.
    3. Kylo cannot be defeated by Rey's non-ult or her team members' damage if the team does not include GAS (or JKL).
    4. Rey's team overall gets easily evaporated vs. Kylo.

If you devise buffs to hit these issues they could look like this:
    1 and 2: Rey's Lifeblood's Crit Immunity changed to undispellable and unpreventable. This would make it more difficult for Vader & co to OHKO Rey and on the other hand slow Kylo's charging. It would match nicely Kylo's Stasis strike which includes a similarly boosted stun. Would also give purpose to having the Crit Immunity in the first place as currently there is none (Kylo's Stasis strike removes all buffs..).
    3: Make RH Poe's unique actually unique. Make its %health damage to pierce %health damage resistance, which is badly needed when Kylo's team can include up to 3 %health damage resistant characters. Because of this Poe currently has no purpose and does not pose a threat to Kylo.
    4: Add the Support role to Rey or Hero Finn so that the healing effect of Hero Finn's special is always activated at least once. This would give Rey's team some chance that they are not all just going to die immediately vs. Kylo's overpowering AOE damage.

I like many of the points that you bring up, coming from the perspective of a kylo owner I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the fights from the Rey perspective.

As for what you see as wrong, I think most of that has to do with Thrawn without his fracture most of the counters fall apart, not quite sure how to deal with that at the moment but with Vader overall the option could be to have Reys lead add crit avoidance. Past from what I've watched here and there I'm not too clear on the rest of your points since I've yet to deal with it personally.

Overall I don't think from the arena perspective we need to get too carried away with the buffs, If we keep it too the TW and GAC the main goal would be to bring up specifically the resistance faction. I think the point about making the crit immunity undispellable is a bit of a double edge sword, with Kenobi in the mix its a challenge to land enough hits before Rey's charge to insure survival perhaps just under resistance specific teams it might be more useful but with further testing could provide a good balance, again haven't got the opportunity to test myself so not completely sure how it works offensively but defensively its a chore to work around.

When it comes to Poe I think you're right on, there seems to be something missing from his kit that would make him a viable option. but instead of reworking his passive i would go for the abilities. Let his "Blaster Bravado" stun to become unresistible when inspired and also inflict buff immunity group wide. This would allow for a key moment to allow a Rey team to take out a character or two and deal with that always re-applying advantage from kylo lead. I could also see "Optic Onslaught" getting something more useful then 3 dots when inspired.

As for the support tag its hard to say what the best option is on that since you have to be careful when looking at the entire lightside roster instead of just specifically the resistance. Maybe give some much needed love to Rose to make the investment worth something instead of a slight to the player base that geared up a almost useless character.

I think that the real issue is that many of the Rey owners are just looking for the same viability with a full resistance squad that Kylo owners have with a full FO squad. That's more or less what I'm looking to achieve with this post is look at how that could become possible. If the buff becomes too strong to an overall lightside roster it will then push the balance back.

• str2019
    64 posts Member
    Options
    Carthric wrote: »
    I think that the real issue is that many of the Rey owners are just looking for the same viability with a full resistance squad that Kylo owners have with a full FO squad.

They advertised GLs as plug'n'play characters so it would be a shame or the best joke yet to force Reys to put Rose Tico in their teams. Faction synergy is something the devs did not want to force with GLs yet is something the discussion has gone to when nothing else seems to help.

To fix Rey you have to give people a reason to go for Rey, and go for Rey if one already has Supreme Leader Kylo Ren. Currently, there is no such reason. If you don't have any GLs the only choice is Kylo because he is the better one in the squad arena, GAC, TW and HSR. If you already have Kylo you are better off investing in other characters than Rey prereqs (and hence Rey) because of opportunity cost considerations. You should rather want a dozen useful high relic characters spread across the different factions than a single better character that is still defeated without too many issues. Only in the case of a Kraken who already has everything else is there value going for Rey too.

People originally went for Rey because they thought that Rey would be superior in PvP while Kylo is a bit worse but soloes HSR. This equilibrium was turned around with all the Kylo fixes, intentionally or not, but now has led to a situation where Reys struggle daily to beat Kylos in the squad arena with their best comps. It does not matter what people are saying here on the forums, these discussions and the tone of them speak for themselves. Reys on average, I believe, have 50% or lower win rate against Kyloes on offense while Kyloes have 90% or higher against Reys. In practice this means reaching rank 1 with only one refresh will more often than not be out of the question, which should not happen with a meta team.

Against that premise I think what I proposed was rather mild. The undispellable Crit Immunity would not be a straight bonus because it would discourage using GK (because his taunt does not get activated). The other changes were indeed supposed to make the Rey teams more thematic, giving a reason to bring in the Resistance Heroes as currently Jedis are used instead. RH Poe won't be used until he poses a credible threat like GAS does. Having him (alive) should mean that Rey's team is capable of taking Kylo out without Rey's ult. Currently that is not the case and that's why he is left on the bench. RH Finn is more useful but again does not have a real spot in Rey's team either like was originally advertised by CG.