Upcoming Advantage change pretty much a weaker/short lived version of Offence up?

Am I missing something? If Advantage becomes a guaranteed critical hit (extra 50% damage? is that right?) for the next turn that sounds like a big nerf to a first order team as it relies on Advantage for most abilities. Poggle's Offence Up (extra 50% damage) is 3 turns as is so how does the new "Advantage" even come close to that?

Replies

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    My concern with the change to advantage is that Phasma does almost ZERO damage without advantage. You could get couple shots off with the old advantage before but now it is going to go away after one shot. Are they going to change how Phasma's basic works in conjunction with Advantage? They should just add the 65% base damage to the attack at all times, not reliant on advantage.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Options
    The advantage for first order toons still lasts as long as their abilities dictate. I think it's just other toons won't have it for as long.
  • Options
    That would be good if that were the case but it sounded like it was only going to last 1 turn. I've seen quite a few posts regarding how OP this new advantage is supposed to be but I don't understand how it's even as good as the current "Offence Up" buff. Offence up with someone like Poggle lasts 3 turns and gives 50% more damage. Plus there's still a chance of a critical hit to go along with that. What I don't get is how this new Advantage is anywhere near as good as that. Do critical hits do more than 50% extra damage?

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Options
    9Fingers wrote: »
    That would be good if that were the case but it sounded like it was only going to last 1 turn. I've seen quite a few posts regarding how OP this new advantage is supposed to be but I don't understand how it's even as good as the current "Offence Up" buff. Offence up with someone like Poggle lasts 3 turns and gives 50% more damage. Plus there's still a chance of a critical hit to go along with that. What I don't get is how this new Advantage is anywhere near as good as that. Do critical hits do more than 50% extra damage?

Agreed, it seems like a nerf really. Now, if it lasts 2 turns or two hits like the current advantage, It would be a wash. It does open up the possibility for some synergy for those who have skills that have an extra benefit from crits I guess.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Somebody told me the other day that they're reworking First Order skills to account for the new way Advantage works?

Otherwise not just Phasma, but FOO and FOTP too, would take a big hit.
  • DomLon
    64 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, Poggles offense up sounds better than the advantage. But phasma grants a bit more than that. Everyone gains turn Meter, she can still slow down all opponents and Speed is the most important atm.
    Imagine, poggle uses offense up, then you have to wait.
    Phasma gives the 50% damage + a granted trigger to all the specials given a critical hit (and there are a lot of them) + nearly every of your toons will strike before the opponents ones.
    So, if you just look at advantage vs. Offence up, yep, it is weaker. But including extra specials for criticals and turn Meter, well, it is much stronger
  • capGamesArtist
    16 posts SWGOH Dev Team
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RAYRAY wrote: »
    It does open up the possibility for some synergy for those who have skills that have an extra benefit from crits I guess.

Exactly. Advantage will be super useful with other characters who revolve around getting critical hits. Luke or Lando would be killer with a team that can keep giving them advantage.

• lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    it makes phasma really weak and not a viable character. only her leader bonus assists are worth anything, but you are better off swapping in a toon like GS, QGJ, ig86, etc... that have a guaranteed assist every other turn

not to mention advantage is 5 turn spell

so basically phasma will do no damage since she relied on advantage to do medium damage.

when you think about it that +65% damage or crit is offset by the fact that you basically lose a turn activating it!

I dint mind losing an attack turn for a turn meter increase but if I want off up, there are many much better characters that can do that - ie Poggle, Dooku etc...

I have stopped farming phasma since I find it a waste of time and now focusing on ig86 with GW rewards, after I will farm magmatrooper, he may be viable in theory. seems to have decent health, decent damage and I like his speed down nade ability. TBD

my 2 cents
  • DarthMegaBex
    568 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah Phasma, FOTP and FOO have nerfs to balance? the change to advantage. FOST is getting a buff he now gives Advantage to everyone not just himself. Kylo is unaffected.
    But you've got to remember an FO team can now get advantage without using a special. That'll be good if it activates frequently but rather lackluster if it doesn't. Luke Skywalker all over again

Hope they release some more archetypes with the release, there seems to be a lot of them in the data but i thinks theyre going to stay as enemy mobs mostly.
  • Options
    Phasma alone will not be OP. It's the combination of Boba (L) + Phasma + Lando and even maybe Poggle that will be OP. Phasma will give automatic crits + turn meter, Boba +50% Damage on crits, then Lando will AOE leading to AOE cooldown refresh and +100% damage on next turn + Crit chance up, Boba will AOE with all crits + ability blocks, Phasma will AOE with all crit with speed down...