As close as possible to a sandbox

Prev1
Bnorth86
125 posts Member
edited August 2020
Any chance that after you clear all the feats in a given tier of GC you can practice that tier without the modifiers and pick the team from that faction? Or just put a practice mode for the faction you’re going against. I’d love to practice different comps against a GG team or a geo team. I’m guessing this is as close as we’ll ever get to a true sandbox mode.

Replies

• Options
    I feel like if we had all the challenges release in one rush people would have liked it as a sandbox mode as you could try your roster against many teams. Only being able to test out teams against GG gets a little repetitive but its a nice feature. Also, I don't think removing those modifiers will give us a good representation of how the battles will go because that sniper droid will do some unrealistic one hits no matter what.
  • Options
    @Jake0000 if you choose the comp you face, you would get to remove the sniper droid. Unless they would actually give us that character (which would be awesome)
  • Options
    Yea I tried to sandbox with this yesterday, but that speed boost is just too much. They’re whole team took a turn before my dooku with 299 speed, and by that time I had already lost.

Overall, this mode is a major disappointment. Can’t believe it took 10 months to get here.
  • Options
    @Bnorth86 I don't think he's completely out of the question. His sniper one shot could be another annihilate and GG hasn't had a team update recently. Sounds interesting!
  • Options
    Yea I tried to sandbox with this yesterday, but that speed boost is just too much. They’re whole team took a turn before my dooku with 299 speed, and by that time I had already lost.

Overall, this mode is a major disappointment. Can’t believe it took 10 months to get here.

Just trying to think positively about the situation. Hopefully they have enough feedback from the forums to improve it ASAP! I don't have relic 5 sith (g12 is as far as my sith go) but I do have a a relic 5+ galactic republic team to gain rewards from the last galactic challenges event so i'm just trying to give some positives for it. I'm not too fussed about the rewards I'm hoping for daily content!
  • Options
    Jake0000 wrote: »

Just trying to think positively about the situation. Hopefully they have enough feedback from the forums to improve it ASAP! I don't have relic 5 sith (g12 is as far as my sith go) but I do have a a relic 5+ galactic republic team to gain rewards from the last galactic challenges event so i'm just trying to give some positives for it. I'm not too fussed about the rewards I'm hoping for daily content!

I’m sure they’re hearing enough about the rewards so all we can do to help the game mode is give constructive feedback or suggestions that they might be able to do.
  • Options
    I think if you can complete a feat with a team that’s less than the feat requirements, YOU should be able to get it.

Why punish a player with 4 relic 5 and one XII toon? Or just with five XII toons? Fix that.
  • Options
    Bnorth86 wrote: »

I’m sure they’re hearing enough about the rewards so all we can do to help the game mode is give constructive feedback or suggestions that they might be able to do.

I expect the rewards to change some, so my comments weren’t about that either. Although, I doubt they can change much. The GLs allow an undersized win on all tiers, so opening up the faction requirements for those rewards would mean anyone with a GL would always get max rewards.

I’m just really disappointed that it was 10-15 minutes of not fun game time. All that being said, I think removing the buffs like you suggested could create a sandbox type environment. Just don’t gate it behind the relic feats.
  • Options
    Bnorth86 wrote: »

I expect the rewards to change some, so my comments weren’t about that either. Although, I doubt they can change much. The GLs allow an undersized win on all tiers, so opening up the faction requirements for those rewards would mean anyone with a GL would always get max rewards.

I’m just really disappointed that it was 10-15 minutes of not fun game time. All that being said, I think removing the buffs like you suggested could create a sandbox type environment. Just don’t gate it behind the relic feats.

To add to this, I shouldn’t need to R3+ all of my toons to make them usable even in this game mode. I just tried tiers 4 and 5 with my Nute separatist team again (all g12 with one g13 and one R4). Tier 4 is not a challenge whatsoever. Tier 5, dooku (again at 299 speed before extortion buff) doesn’t get a turn before 3+ toons are dead.
  • Options
    khdelboy wrote: »
    I think if you can complete a feat with a team that’s less than the feat requirements, YOU should be able to get it.

Why punish a player with 4 relic 5 and one XII toon? Or just with five XII toons? Fix that.

Yeah I’m just hoping they do make this the feature for everybody to play. It’d be awesome if they allowed you to change the gear tiers in the “practice” tier. There’s plenty of times I’ll see one or two g12 toons with the rest of the team having relics.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    khdelboy wrote: »

the same could be said for TBs, you may be able to compete a mission with a 6* toon in the last tier, but it requires 7*.

no one is being punished, they are just the rules of engagement in some game modes.
  • Options
    @Kyno I understand your point completely but it isn't dependant on shards. It's on making your teams gear 13. Shard farming hasn't gotten anymore difficult in the past few years but gearing your teams has and this gamemode was supposed to help us get to that point, not the other way around so that you gear your teams and then they reward you.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno I understand your point completely but it isn't dependant on shards. It's on making your teams gear 13. Shard farming hasn't gotten anymore difficult in the past few years but gearing your teams has and this gamemode was supposed to help us get to that point, not the other way around so that you gear your teams and then they reward you.

its dependent on a bench mark. doesnt' matter what the bench mark is. Malak event has a gear bench mark. some game modes have "rules of engagement"

i'm not saying its a good mechanic for rewards, but its also not new to the game to have to meet a requirement that doesn't actually have to do with the ability of a player to beat an event or game mode.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno I understand your point completely but it isn't dependant on shards. It's on making your teams gear 13. Shard farming hasn't gotten anymore difficult in the past few years but gearing your teams has and this gamemode was supposed to help us get to that point, not the other way around so that you gear your teams and then they reward you.

its dependent on a bench mark. doesnt' matter what the bench mark is. Malak event has a gear bench mark. some game modes have "rules of engagement"

i'm not saying its a good mechanic for rewards, but its also not new to the game to have to meet a requirement that doesn't actually have to do with the ability of a player to beat an event or game mode.

But most of those "gear" or "relic" requirements have to do with obtaining a powerful character or their shards (in TB) - not just a handful of gear rewards and a few crystals.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

But most of those "gear" or "relic" requirements have to do with obtaining a powerful character or their shards (in TB) - not just a handful of gear rewards and a few crystals.

Agreed. Things progress and change as we move through the game. Some mechanics and the ideas behind them evolve and expand into other game modes.

Doesnt make it a fun or exciting, but it's also not new.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

Agreed. Things progress and change as we move through the game. Some mechanics and the ideas behind them evolve and expand into other game modes.

Fair enough. If gear and relic requirements are "evolving and expanding" into other game modes, it's a progression. In the wrong direction, but a step nonetheless. :/
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Did they actually say this game mode is supposed to help gearing progression?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    On GWR they talked about doing a Jawa Galactic Challenge. I tried tier one and almost won but couldn't finish off DD before the sandstorm dots got me. It was actually fun, not to mention hilarious to see all my jawas disappear one after the other from the dots. It may not be the sandbox mode people wanted, but with the scaled difficulty tiers, I think there's a lot of potential here.

Too bad about the rewards though.
  • Options

This really sums up this "new" content we waited so long for...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Fair enough. If gear and relic requirements are "evolving and expanding" into other game modes, it's a progression. In the wrong direction, but a step nonetheless. :/

When you look at it from the perspective of where it came from, it's a step in a better direction.

Previously when we had gear gates, you couldnt play the event without meeting those requirements. With them in place after that point you can still play and be involved.

Now if the current iteration of this game mode wasn't so rigid and locked in, this above evolution would be a lot nicer as this would have more replayable value.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »
    On GWR they talked about doing a Jawa Galactic Challenge. I tried tier one and almost won but couldn't finish off DD before the sandstorm dots got me. It was actually fun, not to mention hilarious to see all my jawas disappear one after the other from the dots. It may not be the sandbox mode people wanted, but with the scaled difficulty tiers, I think there's a lot of potential here.

I don’t see any potential as a sandbox mode as-is. The enemy teams are tuned differently from the rest of the game, have characters that don’t exist for players, use team compositions you’re unlikely to see (poggle with gg), and the special modifiers like sandstorm add flavor but detract from any ability to do meaningful play-testing.

• TVF
    36606 posts Member
    Options
    Monomer wrote: »

I don’t see any potential as a sandbox mode as-is. The enemy teams are tuned differently from the rest of the game, have characters that don’t exist for players, use team compositions you’re unlikely to see (poggle with gg), and the special modifiers like sandstorm add flavor but detract from any ability to do meaningful play-testing.

Sandbox does not necessarily equal "play-testing."

As I said, "it may not be the sandbox mode people want."
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

When you look at it from the perspective of where it came from, it's a step in a better direction.

Previously when we had gear gates, you couldnt play the event without meeting those requirements. With them in place after that point you can still play and be involved.

Now if the current iteration of this game mode wasn't so rigid and locked in, this above evolution would be a lot nicer as this would have more replayable value.

Agreed - especially with the last sentence.

My point about a step in the "wrong direction" is that the gear gating was generally limited to the unlocking of powerful characters (either through their events or TB and their shard acquisition). Now, with GCs, it seems to have spread to also include other game modes, even if they only reward gear - thus broadening the scope of a gating method that feels contrary to the "spirit of the game" (attack and win as efficiently as possible - in GAC, TW, raids, arena, etc.).

IMHO, the "gating" should be in the difficulty of the event, not some artificial means that removes theory crafting from the equation and replaces strategy with something so arbitrary. But my name isn't Mark, so my opinion on the matter doesn't matter.

• BeralCator
    791 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

IMHO, the "gating" should be in the difficulty of the event, not some artificial means that removes theory crafting from the equation and replaces strategy with something so arbitrary. But my name isn't Mark, so my opinion on the matter doesn't matter.

But then they would have to fix the the cheating problem, and that's too expensive.

• Options
    I think people have forgotten that the GP/gear gate was introduced with Malak because some people were beating the Darth Revan event with undergeared characters using various "extra-legal" methods. I remember the screenshots of the guy with G1 Canderous/Carth/Juhani/etc. that had somehow unlocked Darth Revan.

Rather than fix the cheating problem, they just put in a gate so that you had to have characters at the gear level that CG thought was an appropriate investment rather than minimum level required to actually beat the event.

• Options
    Monomer wrote: »

Sandbox does not necessarily equal "play-testing."

As I said, "it may not be the sandbox mode people want."

It’s no more of a sandbox mode than Galactic war. The first 4 tiers are ridiculously easy, and tier 5 and above is ridiculously hard. There’s no middle ground to test teams that you haven’t taken to relics already (if I’m taking toons to relic then I’m already using them). And even some of those relic teams don’t stand a chance with the buffs the enemy is getting.
  • Options
    It’s no more of a sandbox mode than Galactic war. The first 4 tiers are ridiculously easy, and tier 5 and above is ridiculously hard. There’s no middle ground to test teams that you haven’t taken to relics already (if I’m taking toons to relic then I’m already using them). And even some of those relic teams don’t stand a chance with the buffs the enemy is getting.

Maybe you will just have to wait for the next sandbox to test other teams. This mode isn't bad if you use a little imagination and do some experimenting.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Options

They said it would give "meaningful rewards to help you grow your collection of characters and ships"
    https://youtu.be/kPcDzjSqzmc
  • Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »

They said it would give "meaningful rewards to help you grow your collection of characters and ships"

And yet that didn’t happen.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    ShaggyB wrote: »

And yet that didn’t happen.

Or that didnt happen yet, because this is the exhibition....