Something needs to be done...

Platex
8 posts Member
edited October 2020
Hello all!

Hope this finds you well and having a great day.

I've been playing for just over 2 years now - in many regards I fall into the category of a new player compared to much of the player base here on these forums.

This is the current issue that I am facing:

r3022sg3shkw.jpg

Bare in mind that most of those characters need 2-3 of this same gear piece, it's not just x50.

It's not fun.

There has been some talk in previous Q&As about the devs wanting to do something for new players to catch up.

It seems that a massive shift in the game's mid-gearing needs to take place. It's not just me suffering with this. The meta is meant to be Relics, yet it's a drag getting characters past gear8/9 to g12 for players like me. It's a MASSIVE bottleneck, mainly fuelled by the SAME pieces being needed universally:
Stun Guns, Carbantis, Stun Cuffs.

I suggest that there needs to be a new tier of daily Challenges ASAP, that rewards a whole completed piece of one of these each day. I hope that suggestion doesn't make the money-minded devs baulk, since for this game to continue as it is and gain new players that seems to be the kind of QoL change needed.

I get that the Devs like a situation where people are buying shards for the gear store, but you have to care about the player experience or how these outdated systems affect new players coming up. To be clear, it feels really, really bad. I'm not going to drop money into the 85 of the same old gear pieces every week, it's dull and I feel more inclined to just quit out of frustration.

The change I'm suggesting wouldn't affect the G13 gearing process that much, there would still be plenty income from the Relic gear materials and players wishing to go even faster - but would make a dramatic change to the Free-to-Play mid-game. It feels like the endgame has moved beyond them somewhat.

TL;DR: Detailed suggestion is to add Tier VI to each Gear challenge, balanced for g13 relic0*, with the TAC gear giving 35-50 MK5 Stun Gun Salvage, STR gear giving ~50 MK3 Carbanti Array Salvage, and AGI gear giving ~25 Stun Cuffs and a full MK6 Syringe.

*seems good game design to have the struggle a few times, and be rewarded for achieving it by speeding everything else up thereafter.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    All anyone can say is, yes this needs to be addressed.
    You dont put a timeframe on your suggested values, so it's hard to judge but, they seem a little high. No matter what they do there will still be an economic balance that has a designed pace.

They have mentioned working on the new player experience in one of the recent pod casts and I would imagine this is up there on that list.

For now just remain focused on a plan and work the plan, you will get through it.
  • Options
    Personally, my best solution would be to reduce the amount required for each piece down to 40, wouldn’t cost the devs too much but it’d make it significantly easier for mass gearing, while still could slow you down when single gearing
  • Options
    Doni12 wrote: »
    Personally, my best solution would be to reduce the amount required for each piece down to 40, wouldn’t cost the devs too much but it’d make it significantly easier for mass gearing, while still could slow you down when single gearing

That wouldn't help. For people buying shards, sure you'd get it faster, but if you're not getting it in the first place it doesn't really change anything. There has to be a substantial change in supply.

I also really don't expect the Devs to retroactively change demand, it would be a huge change and have too many implications.

Supply is a tap that in the game's design ethos is meant to be slowly increased over time. They just haven't really touched the tap in quite a while, hence why (to Kyno's point) I think we need a torrent to fix this problem they've created.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Doni12 wrote: »

they could in theory do this for all future characters, but they cannot do this for all current ones. all the players who have those pieces on would need to be refunded to be fair, that would essentially flood the market.

whatever they do will not eliminate the issue, but just slightly adjust it, and this may be done over time not in one fell swoop.