Should Abilities Level increase the Toon Power ?

Huitzy
79 posts Member
edited March 2016
A toon power is the add of the level, the gears, and the stars but NOT the abilities level ?!?

Should Abilities Level increase the Toon Power ? 47 votes

Yes, a full 7 abilities level is stronger.
72%
EnigmaticienBarrokHuitzyAlsend_DrakeMurderholeLeoRavusEaywenJiggywiggywikking4uMcPot45SmithieklayTony167Daddyngo007YGBPadmeSlyKrysisToonnyYudokaMothafockajones 34 votes
No, it doesn't make stronger.
12%
vincentlondonSidiousIsPikachuKamikazeRhombusRAYRAYEgo12Draconisthecuriousocelot 6 votes
Others point of view
14%
BerdilioLegoLegs_InternetSwagDekayingsoulSnakeDeadHeadAndyDarth_Noctambulo 7 votes

Replies

• Options
    Yes, in the beginning I found it very difficult to determine a character true strength since this is not accounted for.
  • Huitzy
    79 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, in the beginning I found it very difficult to determine a character true strength since this is not accounted for.
    +1
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options

I am sure I am not the only one who doesn't max abilities (if it's just 5% damage increase I usually save the mats). So while I am one who would have a lower power from this change, it completely makes sense. My character is not as good as someone else's who has higher abilities.. even if the power is the same.
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    Options
    Yes, to a point. It would help give you a better idea as to the power of a character / squad 'at a glance' as opposed to having to check each individual character out to see what they've got.

Not mandatory by any stretch, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
  • Huitzy
    79 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Level 1 gears are less stronger than abilities Levels.
    Level 2 to 3 is often +15% damage.
  • Huitzy
    79 posts Member
    Options
    And the leader ability level should be considered only if leading.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options
    It should. The power rating isn't how hard the character hits (Barriss is a big example of this) but rather the characters overall effectiveness. Leveling abilities not resulting in power increase is misinformation since a level 70 with level 7 abilities if far superior to a level 70 with level 1 abilities.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Eaywen
    422 posts Member
    Options
    Also.... ability damage and crit should not count toward the power of a character who does no ability damage...
  • Huitzy
    79 posts Member
    Options
    Eaywen wrote: »
    Also.... ability damage and crit should not count toward the power of a character who does no ability damage...

Why ?
  • Options
    Barrok wrote: »

I am sure I am not the only one who doesn't max abilities (if it's just 5% damage increase I usually save the mats). So while I am one who would have a lower power from this change, it completely makes sense. My character is not as good as someone else's who has higher abilities.. even if the power is the same.

That's where your logic is hindered its not 5% damage its 5% + 5% + 10% etc.. for EACH ability.

plus in order to get to that next countdown -1, or extra heals per round you HAVE to upgrade the abilities you can't skip them, so upgrade to 5 is per-requisitite to 6 to get 7 which is max ability, if you are only sitting on 5 because you are afraid of spending ability mats then all you have is a bunch of mediocre players and no pro toons.. it makes no sense..

• Options
    Eaywen wrote: »

Who doesn't do ability damage EVERY toon does some damage.. even healers, I don't understand your point
  • Huitzy
    79 posts Member
    Options
    Every ability impacts ! Damage or not.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a no-brainer. I don't know why they don't factor it in.
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »
    Barrok wrote: »

That's where your logic is hindered its not 5% damage its 5% + 5% + 10% etc.. for EACH ability.

plus in order to get to that next countdown -1, or extra heals per round you HAVE to upgrade the abilities you can't skip them, so upgrade to 5 is per-requisitite to 6 to get 7 which is max ability, if you are only sitting on 5 because you are afraid of spending ability mats then all you have is a bunch of mediocre players and no pro toons.. it makes no sense..

Oh, I am not staying at lvl 1 bro. I am talking about where the max is rank 7, i might stop at rank 6 because rank 7 is only 5% increase. I am just stating that I don't MAX every ability just because I can, I selectively pick which ones (especially if I am low on mats).
  • Snake
    158 posts Member
    Options
    Others point of view
    I would care if power level was a true indicator of a characters strength. However my talia has 4500 power, and is only half as good as my qui gon and geo soldier, who have 3900 and 3300 power respectively.
    -Snake
  • Options
    Others point of view
    They already do make the characters stronger as they will hit harder or get better/faster effects. Character power is not important, how many times have you fought a squad in the arena that was 1-3k higher than yours and won. Squad/ character power is nice to look at but does not have any meaning in the game.
  • Options
    No, it doesn't make stronger.
    1) How would you factor in leader abilities if they are not in use?

E.g. Imagine if you are facing a line-up of Sid (L), Qui-gon, Lumi, Daka and Dooku. All five have leader abilities, but only one would be active. A squad would still appear to have, confusingly, ridiculously high power.

2) Not all characters have the same number of abilities. Yoda and AV have 5; Biggs and JC 3.

All in all, toon power that takes into account ability upgrades would just muddy the water. The current system is fine - at least, you tend not to hear too many complaints about it...
  • klay
    76 posts Member
    Options
    It really doesn't make sense that abilities don't add to your power level. I mean, how does increasing your damage output by 5 10 20% NOT get looked at as an increase of power?

However, power ratings themselves need to be reworked because they are not indicative of a characters true might.
  • Options
    Others point of view
    I am already confused by power, it seems to be a mix of a lot. My Bariss has a higher power than my Anakin - but he is more "powerful" in the sense of fighting. I don't know what adds more power or to what degree.
    I think changing this would result in issues with GW and right now you can click on any character you are about to face in GW or Arena so you can scope them out first anyhow and all their abilities.

Would [adding a % chance to get 10% more turn meter] be the same "power" as [-1 cooldown] or a leader ability [+1% evasion] even when they do not lead??

There should really be two categories(like power/resistance), lumping everything into power already confuses it.
  • Huitzy
    79 posts Member
    Options

E.g. Imagine if you are facing a line-up of Sid (L), Qui-gon, Lumi, Daka and Dooku. All five have leader abilities, but only one would be active. A squad would still appear to have, confusingly, ridiculously high power.

2) Not all characters have the same number of abilities. Yoda and AV have 5; Biggs and JC 3.

All in all, toon power that takes into account ability upgrades would just muddy the water. The current system is fine - at least, you tend not to hear too many complaints about it...

1) only the active leader will get the leader Power ability.

2) they will have less power like some characters that are gear IX.
  • Options

Then at a minimum it should take their basic attack into consideration since everyone has that. I do understand what you are saying, hopefully in this hypothetical situation they can make it smart enough to know who is the leader...

• kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    Thought it was a bug when I first noticed that upgrading an ability didn't bump your power. But as power is just an estimate, I didn't consider it all that critical.
    But changing it might affect matchmaking a lot, making it easier for those players that spread their ability upgrades around (having mostly L4-5) vs. those that packed them into their A-squad (all L7). So I'm not sure how I feel about it getting "fixed".
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m