TW matchmaking

Prev1
HerderOfNerf
140 posts Member
edited October 2020
The last I saw on this, CG never acknowledged it's an issue. They didn't think there was an advantage to only joining with 40 players. After getting heavily sandbagged three TW in a row, I thought I'd see if we can make any progress.

All of the guild who sandbagged us are top, competitive guilds. We just passed 300M GP and are getting matched with 340M GP guilds. I searched the DSR bot for the name of our most recent opponent and they always join with 40 players, dating back to last year. So the usual excuses of, "we had players out of town," or "we don't make players join if they don't want to" don't apply. It's an intentional strategy to get an easier opponent.

The result in our case is they match 40 players with an average GP of 7.7M with 50 players averaging 6M GP. As a result, they have a 120-70 GL advantage. And all of their teams are high relic. There's no possible strategy to win in that scenario.

It's not like it's a difficult problem to fix. Simply add average active GP to matchmaking and sandbaggers will be equally matched with other sandbaggers. And they'll quit making 10 players sit out every TW.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options
    Even if they did realize the advantage, they don't care enough to change it. When was the last time they bothered changing anything about TW? Just another abandoned game mode.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    I know that guild. They have 40 members and 10 alts for tickets.
    I’m just kidding! But anything is possibles
    Couldn’t see making members sit out would make your guild stronger as a whole.
  • Options
    It’s still worth bringing up every once in a while. And I agree with the proposed solution.

Sandbagging takes the fun out of an otherwise enjoyable piece of content. We ain’t got many of those.
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options
    Sewpot wrote: »

It doesn't always happen because a guild does it on purpose.
  • Options
    Wonder how many people that complain about sandbagging in TW are also proponents of keeping down roster bloat for easier matches in GAC.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    They're a full guild. If I were to guess, I'd say their motivation for sandbagging is rooted in that they've collectively spent over a million dollars on this game and can't beat guilds that have done the same.

Do you have proof, or just throwing salt?
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options
    Sewpot wrote: »

In this particular case, the rewards are irrelevant to them. They buy everything anyway. It's a matter of ego. They don't want to lose after spending that kind of money.

It's not so much that they don't want to lose, it's that TW at their level is soul crushingly awful. I would sandbag on purpose up there too.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    How much research did you do into each TW, to show that they just dont have a full guild sign up, and random people that dont care about TW not signing up, because they dont care about TW?

Funny that you call them very competitive, but they dont seem to be, since they have members who are not competitive enough to play TW.
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    How much research did you do into each TW, to show that they just dont have a full guild sign up, and random people that dont care about TW not signing up, because they dont care about TW?

Funny that you call them very competitive, but they dont seem to be, since they have members who are not competitive enough to play TW.

I mean, it would be pretty random for it to always be exactly 40. My guild doesn't require participation. We have a different number sign up basically every time.

Also, it could be a guild like Wakanda. End-game for TB and the like, but actively hates TW.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    StarSon wrote: »

I mean, it would be pretty random for it to always be exactly 40. My guild doesn't require participation. We have a different number sign up basically every time.

Also, it could be a guild like Wakanda. End-game for TB and the like, but actively hates TW.

It would be, but we hit 43 and 46 more often than other numbers when we enter a TW, just because we require activity if someone signs up, but it's not required to sign up.

We acutely noted a winning streak of 3 matches at 46. So it's possible.
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options

I'm glad you asked. In this case, a guild member shares a shard chat with one of them. He asked him, "Dude what's up with the sandbagging?" His reply was, "We don't usually go in short. We just had some players change guilds."

That was contradicted by the fact that their guild was full at the time of player lock. And when I searched their name in the DSR bot and every single result showed them going in with 40 players.

One other point for consideration is they have a well known rivalry with another guild and lost repeatedly and very publicly to that guild every time they were matched. And they were matched often because not many guilds have that kind of GP.

All of which leads me to conclude their motivation is to manipulate matchmaking get an easier opponent and save face.

Basically, you have no proof of their motivations. There really is no point to bring those up, anyway. It happened, motivations don't really change that fact.
  • StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options

It would be, but we hit 43 and 46 more often than other numbers when we enter a TW, just because we require activity if someone signs up, but it's not required to sign up.

Yeah, but dating back to 'last year' is at least 10 months. Assuming DSR is logging each TW, victory or not, that's 20 consecutive TW they joined with 40 players (also assuming what the OP says is correct). That's not by chance.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Like I said, that's every result going back to last year. You know who I'm talking about. Go search the DSR bot. Then tell me it's possible.

I dont need to see it to tell you its possible.

I also dont see how you being salty at this one particular guild does anything for the issue you see to think should be addressed.

Maybe less salt and more focus on the issue.

This post will be closed of all your want to do is make jabs at the guild that you lost to.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    All of the guild who sandbagged us are top, competitive guilds. We just passed 300M GP and are getting matched with 340M GP guilds. I searched the DSR bot for the name of our most recent opponent and they always join with 40 players, dating back to last year. So the usual excuses of, "we had players out of town," or "we don't make players join if they don't want to" don't apply. It's an intentional strategy to get an easier opponent.

We've seen evidence that some guilds do it strategically (on purpose) while many guilds don't.

• Options

Like I said, that's every result going back to last year. You know who I'm talking about. Go search the DSR bot. Then tell me it's possible.

I dont need to see it to tell you its possible.

I also dont see how you being salty at this one particular guild does anything for the issue you see to think should be addressed.

Maybe less salt and more focus on the issue.

This post will be closed of all your want to do is make jabs at the guild that you lost to.

It's possible to roll a +31 speed secondary. That doesn't make it likely.

What you think is me being salty is me providing context to demonstrate that it's not a case of a casual guild not requiring participation.
    Which is a separate issue.

Guilds going in short handed CAN be matched with much weaker full guilds, regardless of whether or not they do it on purpose.

You’ve identified the issue, and the solution. No need to bad mouth a guild on top of that.

@CG_Doja_Fett this has been an issue for far too long. Any chance you could get back to us on it?

In the past the devs have stated that the matchmaking looks at power of squads each guild can field, rather than just signed up GP. I’m sorry, but that is no longer a credible explanation.

This is long overdue a fix.
  • Options
    Dude it CG nothing will change trust me
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

We've seen evidence that some guilds do it strategically (on purpose) while many guilds don't.

At lower GP, you get the casual guilds that might not require participation. I think the 340M GP guilds that promote themselves as elite competitive are doing it strategically.

Did you ask your opponents? Could be interesting to know instead of guessing.

• Options
    Waqui wrote: »

At lower GP, you get the casual guilds that might not require participation. I think the 340M GP guilds that promote themselves as elite competitive are doing it strategically.

There are high level players who do not like TW. They prefer not to play.
    Then there are high end guilds, some of whom take TW very seriously and others who are less so.

That second group of players is happy to find those players. It’s a great fit - those players can be in a 300M+ guild and not have to do TW. Those guilds can maintain a high GP but draw weaker opponents by allowing those players not to take part.

Is it gaming the system?
    Those players need to be in a guild somewhere, why can’t it be a 300M (Or 320M, 340M, etc) guild if both sides are happy with it?
  • Options
    It's not sandbagging - just a poor matchmaking algorithm when it comes to matching guilds of different numbers of participants.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*