Luke’s Ultimate

RogueGalain
84 posts Member
edited October 2020
Why did I waste so much time and energy on an ultimate that never happens? What am I missing?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    You aren't missing anything. It's too much work to activate, and once it's activated it's not particularly strong. That's just how it is, unless he gets tweaked.
  • Options
    Please help me here, because I don't have the ultimate so can only try to understand the kit without testing it.

From what I understood, you charge 8% each time a guy is buffed by a Lesson or have the buff renewed. So basically, each time he/she receive the buff, even if the stacks are full.

As the teacher and the student both receive the buff (if the target is a jedi), the ultimate should charge 16% each time you play Inherited teaching, 8% if JML is the teacher or the pupil (if you have the zeta, because he can't be teached Lessons). So you basically need to play 7 times Inherited teaching, one of those could be from/for JML.

That seems crazy fast, especially with the tm gain from Efflux (which probably is your opening)/Inherited teaching. What am I missing ? Is it just not worth it to be able to spam Efflux ?
  • Options
    Adamklark wrote: »
    problem is in defense dumb AI won't spread teachings, also currently jml is better as not the leader so even slower ultimate charge.. in this current iteration it is useless

I understand the AI issue, but isn't it worth it to put Luke as a leader once you have the ultimate if you can transform into Super Luke turn 2, at least on offense ?
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »
    problem is in defense dumb AI won't spread teachings, also currently jml is better as not the leader so even slower ultimate charge.. in this current iteration it is useless

I understand the AI issue, but isn't it worth it to put Luke as a leader once you have the ultimate if you can transform into Super Luke turn 2, at least on offense ?

Short answer is no. With jkr lead you can finish the fight way faster than waiting for the ult. In def, jkr lead also way better.
  • Options
    HJoci30 wrote: »

Short answer is no. With jkr lead you can finish the fight way faster than waiting for the ult. In def, jkr lead also way better.

Fair enough !
  • YetiYeti
    434 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    JML's Ult isn't worth the energy refreshes. Just start farming normally after you unlock JML and gain ult mats slow. There is no reason to aim at it, nor spend extra energy refreshes on it. In PvE, it's handy, but isn't changing what you can do with the character. In PvP, it's completely useless.

Unless it's changed, I don't even think Ill bother placing it. Why bloat the matchmaking GP with something that you aren't gaining anything from?
  • Options
    Please help me here, because I don't have the ultimate so can only try to understand the kit without testing it.

From what I understood, you charge 8% each time a guy is buffed by a Lesson or have the buff renewed. So basically, each time he/she receive the buff, even if the stacks are full.

As the teacher and the student both receive the buff (if the target is a jedi), the ultimate should charge 16% each time you play Inherited teaching, 8% if JML is the teacher or the pupil (if you have the zeta, because he can't be teached Lessons). So you basically need to play 7 times Inherited teaching, one of those could be from/for JML.

That seems crazy fast, especially with the tm gain from Efflux (which probably is your opening)/Inherited teaching. What am I missing ? Is it just not worth it to be able to spam Efflux ?

No you only gain the buff to the targeted toon, not the one taking the action.

It takes 13 moves, assuming you can/do pass the buff each move. So it doesn't take particularly long, but to many other's points, you're forced to by pass other abilities in order to speed up the charge.

Both allies do gain Jedi Lessons. So it is 7 rounds.

Inherited Teachings: Gain Jedi Lessons for 3 turns and call target other Light Side ally to assist, dealing 90% less damage. Then, they deal true damage to the target enemy based on 60% of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's base Max Protection, which can't be evaded.

If that ally is a Jedi, they gain Jedi Lessons for 3 turns and 15% Turn Meter, recover Protection equal to 5% of Luke's base Max Protection, and reduce the cooldown of their Inherited Teachings by 1.

This ability can't be used if there are no other Jedi allies. (Cooldown: 2)
  • Options
    At least for SLKR the ultimate was useful
  • Options
    Efflux is arguably the strongest single ability in the game right now, and JML’s Ult lets him use it every other turn. And then add the entire team ignoring Taunt. JML’s Ult is slow, but it’s nothing to sneeze at.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    edited October 2020
    Options

1. AI chooses specials over inherited teachings so that delays the ultimate
    2. Buff immunity or shock or similar debuffs stops the ultimate from charging

Also, inherited teachings is a terrible ability since it doesn’t cleanse debuffs so the AI is passing turns targeting dazed allies, feared or stunned allies which is what all the meta teams do

So you don’t get to the ultimate in time or when you do you’re team has already fallen apart

It should be like JKR’s SA where it cleanses debuffs and heals as much or more than JKR’s SA does because in comparison JKR is still the better lead
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    YetiYeti wrote: »
    JML's Ult isn't worth the energy refreshes. Just start farming normally after you unlock JML and gain ult mats slow. There is no reason to aim at it, nor spend extra energy refreshes on it. In PvE, it's handy, but isn't changing what you can do with the character. In PvP, it's completely useless.

Unless it's changed, I don't even think Ill bother placing it. Why bloat the matchmaking GP with something that you aren't gaining anything from?

I can only see only 3 potentiel uses in PvP for now:

1) Palp, depending how reliable you can beat Ultimate Palp without ultimate
    2) Mirrors, if Ultimate Luke is too much without ultimate
    3) For GA/TW, to take on Rey/Kylo with subpar/undergeared jedis if Ultimate gives you enough power to do so. So you'll free JKL and friends for another very strong jedi team, as well as GAS for 501st.

• StarSon
    7441 posts Member
    Options
    The real problem, is that if you prioritize Inherited Teachings, it will take about 15 of your turns to hit ultimate (7 uses, but it's a 2 turn CD). To do this, you have to skip JKL's stun, and Hoda's middle special, and you have to use JML's They Grow instead of Efflux at the opening.

In the meantime, you're just dying. So, sure, JML will hit ultimate on the third round of your turns, but everyone else will be dead. Or, you can prioritize the other specials, and you'll get ultimate when there is only one enemy left standing. Either way, it's pretty useless in PVP.
  • Options
    StarSon wrote: »
    The real problem, is that if you prioritize Inherited Teachings, it will take about 15 of your turns to hit ultimate (7 uses, but it's a 2 turn CD). To do this, you have to skip JKL's stun, and Hoda's middle special, and you have to use JML's They Grow instead of Efflux at the opening.

In the meantime, you're just dying. So, sure, JML will hit ultimate on the third round of your turns, but everyone else will be dead. Or, you can prioritize the other specials, and you'll get ultimate when there is only one enemy left standing. Either way, it's pretty useless in PVP.

If you call a jedi to assist, their cooldown is decreased by 1 so as long as you call the right assists, you can use it every turn
  • Options
    Did anyone find a JML team without JKL nor GAS able to reliably beat Rey ? I keep striking out of the subject, I hoped ultimate would help, but your feedback damped my optimism ^^
  • Options
    ... why are you using JML without JKL? There’s only so many Jedi to go around.

Then again, the Ult may help more here, as Jedi with less fantastic Specials can afford to use Inherited Teachings more often (looking at you, Aayla).
  • Options
    YetiYeti wrote: »

My thoughts exactly. I didnt drop a wave in Geo LSTB with him without his ultimate, and as you said, PVP it's pointless. I'm slowly accumulating the ultimate materials but won't be giving it to Luke as it stands today. If something changes I may pull the trigger but in the mean time I'll just have a jump on the next GL and their ultimate.