Is Snowtrooper Any Good?

Prev1
Jesse
25 posts Member
I've seen the occasional Snowtrooper in Arena, and honestly it makes me kind of jealous. That being said, I'm more or less just interested in starting a full empire team. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Replies

• pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this myself. Somehow, I got a 2* and he's not currently farmable for me.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    He is not farmable right now and likely only the biggest of whales have him geared and starred up. Most of the Empire characters are hard or impossible to star up so a full empire team might not be possible unless you have a ton of cash set aside for this game.
  • Options
    pac0naut wrote: »
    I'm wondering this myself. Somehow, I got a 2* and he's not currently farmable for me.

Everyone gets him in the beginning.
  • LMYYYKS
    333 posts Member
    Options
    http://swgoh.gg/characters/snowtrooper/
    Nothing impressive and hardly farmable. With the addition of Magmatrooper, you can leave Snowtrooper in the fridge.
  • Options
    I have parked him ages ago. he is really not worth any effort imo. same goes for his cousin clone sgt
  • Options
    lunarwolf wrote: »
    I have parked him ages ago. he is really not worth any effort imo. same goes for his cousin clone sgt

I agree about snow trooper. He doesn't seem that impressive. Just not a great tool kit. Clone Seargant on the other hand maybe a sleeper gem. Most people wrote him off long ago but I have seen him in action on clone teams. He gets very fast and crits a lot which only makes him faster. Plus he slows down the opponents immensely with his AOE. Put him on a squad with Rex, 5's, and Plo Koon and they are impressive!

Does anyone out there have a video of a clone team in action?

• Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I have at 7*, but haven't had the resources to gear and level up though. Here's my theorizing:

Unit is supposed to be used with Vader lead. Just like on Hoth. The Snowtroopers there were in part Vader's Fist, the 501st. Meaning they were the best of the best.

Vader lead gives 27,5% offense up (which is A LOT), and a chance to remove some enemy turn meter on hit. This means that Snowtrooper AOE will hit reasonably hard and remove some turn meter on enemies too. Interestingly enough, Magma Trooper does much greater turn meter reduction but at lower damage. But they're rather similar. Oh, and Tarkin also removes turn meter and does AOE damage. There's a pattern emerging...

Any time an enemy dies, Snowtrooper gains +30% turn meter and gives +15% turn meter to all allies. This may not seem like much, but should be seen in the context that there is A LOT of turn meter manipulation AND AOE attacks going on in the Empire team as a whole.

The attack that killed an enemy toon could likely have been an AOE reducing the opponents' turn meter even more, meaning Snowtrooper's extra boost to the own team's turn meters is more likely to tip several members of the team over the point where they will be able to go before an enemy they would otherwise not.

So, I wouldn't use Snowtrooper on its own. But in an Empire team led by Vader, I think it could be a nice cog in the machinery.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Clone Sergeant is excellent, especially with Rex lead and Fives on the squad.

Agree with @Nonemo , Snowtrooper on an Empire heavy squad definitely has possibilities.

Mine is 53/85 to 6* just from the sheer number of Bronzium drops I've had for him, almost as many as Ewok Scout and RG.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options

I guess it depends on your definition of excellent
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    MrClean621 wrote: »

I agree about snow trooper. He doesn't seem that impressive. Just not a great tool kit. Clone Seargant on the other hand maybe a sleeper gem. Most people wrote him off long ago but I have seen him in action on clone teams. He gets very fast and crits a lot which only makes him faster. Plus he slows down the opponents immensely with his AOE. Put him on a squad with Rex, 5's, and Plo Koon and they are impressive!

Yes, here's my most updated video.

https://youtu.be/XudzXgvcc-8
  • Options
    Very cool, not sure what value Ventress and Plo Koon add there. QGJ and Lumi might serve you better. Like the Rex lead.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    Very cool, not sure what value Ventress and Plo Koon add there. QGJ and Lumi might serve you better. Like the Rex lead.

I already tried Lumi in this squad and didn't like it. Plo Koon is on there on principle and still does decent. If you haven't noticed, your speed stat doesn't matter in this squad and Asajj is petty strong so that's why she's there.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options

Clones are very viable with Rex lead. I've finished top 10 with them for weeks without any big problems. Posted a few vids too in the squads and synergies sub forum. Plo Koon isn't as good as Phasma though. She does basically the same thing, but better. I'm about run 3x Clones, Phasma and Saint Han, as soon as I've geared him up.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options

I guess you never tried a maxed out Clone sergeant in a well composed team? :)

I don't blame you in that case though. Most just remember him from the beginning of the game and assume that early low star anonymous toon= bad. Because that's how it is in 9/10 games.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    Nonemo wrote: »

Clones are very viable with Rex lead. I've finished top 10 with them for weeks without any big problems. Posted a few vids too in the squads and synergies sub forum. Plo Koon isn't as good as Phasma though. She does basically the same thing, but better. I'm about run 3x Clones, Phasma and Saint Han, as soon as I've geared him up.

Debatable. I know in the video I posted Plo Koon didn't land any offense downs but it does happen and saves my rear a lot. Also he can dispel on primary which is handy. Depending on the combat update, Defense Up might be better than Advantage as well.

I will admit that I'm biased towards Mr. Koon, though.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Aero wrote: »

Debatable. I know in the video I posted Plo Koon didn't land any offense downs but it does happen and saves my rear a lot. Also he can dispel on primary which is handy. Depending on the combat update, Defense Up might be better than Advantage as well.

You're a Clone user. You know what the update will mean for Fives and Clone Sergeant. Take a moment to consider the usefulness of a toon with AOE speed down and guaranteed critical hits, and how that might synergize with those two toons :)

Oh and I'm not REALLY a Plo Koon hater. I was frolicking with joy when I first pulled him from bronzium. I 7*'d him before I 7*'d Dooku, because I loved Plo from the Clone Wars. I don't use him today simply because he's so very underwhelming imo. :(
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You're a Clone user. You know what the update will mean for Fives and Clone Sergeant. Take a moment to consider the usefulness of a toon with AOE speed down and guaranteed critical hits, and how that might synergize with those two toons :)

Oh and I'm not REALLY a Plo Koon hater. I was frolicking with joy when I first pulled him from bronzium. I 7*'d him before I 7*'d Dooku, because I loved Plo from the Clone Wars. I don't use him today simply because he's so very underwhelming imo. :(

I know, I know. I've considered that. Honestly you're probably right that Phasma is better especially with the level 80 bump, but I kind of hate how that's the case since Plo Koon is supposed to be that role for the clones. Ultimately I believe both are viable (but I wouldn't put them both in the team at the same time, need another damage dealer).
  • Options
    I think this thread is no longer talking about snowtrooper right?
  • Options

I meant that I like the Rex lead, wish he was farmable. My point was really I don't see why Ventress and Plo Koon are there. I understand the why with Plo Koon I guess because of his abilities but he's not good at all. QGJ gives better dispel utility and another assist attack. Phasma would be cool with Advangtage and the mass slow down.
  • Options

It's not the Advantage that makes Phasma great. Quite the contrary, Advantage is nearly useless if not for Phasma's or FOTP's boost damage/crit.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options

It's not the Advantage that makes Phasma great. Quite the contrary, Advantage is nearly useless if not for Phasma's or FOTP's boost damage/crit.

New advantage is guaranteed crit, which would benefit Clone Sergeant.
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    I think this thread is no longer talking about snowtrooper right?

That boat has sailed, my friend.
  • Options

I took out a maxxed 70 level Dooku led squad with Poggle and Poe plus GS and 86 in round 11 of GW last night with:
    6* level 62 ability 3-5, gear 7 Rex
    5* level 65 ability 3-4, gear 8 Fives
    6* level 57 ability 3-4, gear 6 Clone Sergeant
    6* level 70 Maxxed Royal Guard
    6* level 62 ability 5, gear 8 Jedi Consular

I had thrown them in as a suicide squad and to soften up the oppisition but they easily finished the round, all 5 still standing and at near max health and it wasn't due to a series of improbable RNG rolls.
    The TM manipulation, particularly that of CS, the RG stuns and auto taunt behind a rapidly cycling healer like JC, all combined with Rex's health and TM leadership ability (seriously, go read it) and clone synergy made this a potent combo. Rex's dispel was key in this encounter to remove the Dooku stun and Poe expose of the opening salvo and seriously accelerate the TM plus grant tenacity up. The clone synergy is really important to the viability of CS.

The Fives assist special means that apart from JC, you're either going to get a likely stun from RG or a very significant TM reduction from the clones PLUS the 50% damage bonus to each if a clone is called. They're also relatively tanky, especially Fives.
    All that with only mediocre level abilities on them, at max, I can see them really kicking butt, especially after the next major update.
  • Options

Thanks... The TM manipulation wasn't as evident in that one but I have seen it in action. I have been getting all kinds of crazy matchups in GW lately since I finally decided to go after #1 the other day (couldn't hold onto it sadly) and one of them was a clone team. Oddly enough their 5th was a maxed out Greedo. I mean maxed! He was over 5900 power. Must have been one of the people that got him to IX before they blocked it.

I doubt the AI knows how to use that squad properly but they slowed me down and Greedo went off! I was surprised to see how much damage those detonators do at max ability level when they actually explode. I intentionally waited until the last possible second to retreat because I was interested to see what that squad could do. Pretty impressive. It took a high level suicide squad for me to get past it.

Seems like those clones are a momentum based squad. It takes them a second to get rolling but once they do every one of them has speed buffs and debuffs.
  • Options
    Try the clones just like in the above video but use RG and JC in place of Plo and Asajj.
    The fast cycle heal of JC behind the no cooldown reusable RG taunt shield lets the clones really strut their stuff TM wise and generates a lot of extra stuns for RG on the TM bonuses if you keep him healed above 50%.
  • Options

Stop. Taking. Assumptions. For granted. *le sigh
    Even though you would be right if they ever did it that way, it's not worth discussing that now. Especially since Phasma isn't a hidden gem or anything, but just another character people will just put in their line-ups if/when necessary.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options

Stop. Taking. Assumptions. For granted. *le sigh
    Even though you would be right if they ever did it that way, it's not worth discussing that now. Especially since Phasma isn't a hidden gem or anything, but just another character people will just put in their line-ups if/when necessary.

While I usually agree that people are assuming way too much in this game, I don't think it's such a big assumption to say that advantage will be a guaranteed crit, when official updates have stated that advantage will be a guaranteed crit :)

Thing with Clone Sergeant though is not the whole AOE crit discussion, but the fact that he gets auto offense up and has 75% chance to gain 50% turn meter on a crit. Phasma using Victory March basically sets up Clone Sergeant for an entire extra free turn, with offense up. And he can crit for 7K.
  • Taramel
    601 posts Member
    Options
    @Nonemo I think IG-88 paired with Phasma will be much better, With HK lead it is a guarenteed 2nd attack for him. :smiley:
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Taramel wrote: »
    @Nonemo I think IG-88 paired with Phasma will be much better, With HK lead it is a guarenteed 2nd attack for him. :smiley:

Clankers! Twelve o'clock!
    5bb.gif
  • Options
    lol, I came looking for a snowtrooper discussion, but stayed for the Clone Team discussion. Good stuff. Totally hijacked this thread.
    Character Name: Nofaultius