Could use some help building team

Haybarn564
39 posts Member
edited April 2016
I am really struggling finding the right team for the arena lately. As of a week or two ago I was easily cracking top 50 daily, usually in the 30s. Now I'm struggling to win a single match. Dooku is killing me. Generally running Sidious lead, Lumi, IG-88, Poggle, and then trying out different toons for the 5th slot without much success. Have Barris, JC also Gear VIII. Gear VII have HK, IG 86, Phasma. Still working on building QG (5 stars), Talia (6 stars), Yoda (5 stars), Boba (5 stars), Mace (5 stars), Vader (4 stars). Open to any suggestions! Also not sure where to go next in GW store or Arena store.

Replies

• wisenuts
    561 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Haybarn564 step 1, ditch sid, input 86. poggle lead. got GS, RG?

So Poggle(L),86,88,lumi,taunting tank (if possible)
  • Options
    HK (L)
    Poggle
    RG

HK is better leader for droids than Poggle, because speed is their biggest weakness. this lack of speed is only amplified vs quick Dooku

don't get me wrong Poggle as leader offers increased offence, but I think speed is more usefull. Poggle still has offence up buff and HK also gives a crit chance bonus on top of speed

you will need a tank to protect your glass cannons at start when they build up their turn meters. RG is a solid choice w/ his auto taunt - it may be enough breathing room for 88 to survive first turn

my 2 cents
  • wisenuts
    561 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    only chance against dooku for a droid squad is to hit them hard when you get to hit them. poggle helps that. Poggle buff make your droids plenty fast. Your only hope is a RG or Poe to protect the droids. There are ZERO hk lead in my top 20, if not top 40. Poggle led droid teams are in top 10.
  • lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lucky seems you have an easier server than mine. my leaderboards are all Dooku or QGJ. many adding RG/Rey in the mix

PS in fact I just checked top 100. only 10 HK leads and 2 Poggle. neither Poggle is top 50. 7 phasma leaders and 1 Lumi in top 100. the rest is all QGJ and Dooku

top 20 is all QGJ and Dooku except HK at #1, I guess this must be a snipe attempt before the clock resets, usually that guy is not in the lead
  • Options
    Unfortunately my GS is only 5* as I've been farming Jedi to get to 7* yoda. And RG just a 2*. How's Han as a taunting tank, since I'm looking for my next move in squad arena store anyways?
  • Options
    Haybarn564 wrote: »
    Unfortunately my GS is only 5* as I've been farming Jedi to get to 7* yoda. And RG just a 2*. How's Han as a taunting tank, since I'm looking for my next move in squad arena store anyways?
    I use Poggle (L), 86, GS, ST Han and Phamsa and I've been in the top 50 for a couple weeks now. He's not much of a tank (but can sometimes soak up a special), but gives tons of turn meter.

• lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    garublador wrote: »
    I use Poggle (L), 86, GS, ST Han and Phamsa and I've been in the top 50 for a couple weeks now. He's not much of a tank (but can sometimes soak up a special), but gives tons of turn meter.

I only use mine for tank challenge, so he hasn't received a lot of love gear wise almost purple gear / 5* / mid lvl 50s / abilities 3 to 4 - lol

he can taunt but he is fairly squishy for tank, but you do get turn meter chance while he is alive ;) you have no healer in your line-up so his TM bonus will die with him. HK has good turn meter for droids and not as squishy as Han, also it's a leader ability so if he dies the ability is still active

I don't really rate Han from my experience tbh, but I could be wrong and that may change in the future. I would say RG stun/auto taunt is the best tank currently

he is a hard farm, but you don't have great options tbh. I don't think RG is going anywhere soon, so he is worth it in the end

my 2 cents
  • Options
    lunarwolf wrote: »

I only use mine for tank challenge, so he hasn't received a lot of love gear wise almost purple gear / 5* / mid lvl 50s / abilities 3 to 4 - lol

he can taunt but he is fairly squishy for tank, but you do get turn meter chance while he is alive ;) I don't really rate him tbh, but I could be wrong. I am still inclined w/ RG stun/auto taunt

of my tanks, the one I like most is Fives, but he doesn't taunt

my 2 cents
    RG is better, but mine is only 4 stars and even though he works at least as well, I'm afraid I'll be a target with a 4 star toon, though I may be wrong. It's a little different strategy between the two. RG actually protects your damage dealers while Han speeds them up. IMO, RG's stun is what sets him above Han.

Han pretty much needs to be 7 stars and gear VIII to be useful in arena. 6 stars might pass, but that little extra health can get you 20% more turn meter, which is huge. Han is also much easier to farm and there isn't a ton of competition for arena currency.
  • Options

he can taunt but he is fairly squishy for tank, but you do get turn meter chance while he is alive ;) I don't really rate him tbh, but I could be wrong. I am still inclined w/ RG stun/auto taunt

of my tanks, the one I like most is Fives, but he doesn't taunt

my 2 cents
    RG is better, but mine is only 4 stars and even though he works at least as well, I'm afraid I'll be a target with a 4 star toon, though I may be wrong. It's a little different strategy between the two. RG actually protects your damage dealers while Han speeds them up. IMO, RG's stun is what sets him above Han.

Han pretty much needs to be 7 stars and gear VIII to be useful in arena. 6 stars might pass, but that little extra health can get you 20% more turn meter, which is huge. Han is also much easier to farm and there isn't a ton of competition for arena currency.

true. happy I don't have to make that decision tbh ;)

• Options
    Yeah, ease of farming is the problem with RG. Gonna take a long time to star him up, but I will add him to my list to start farming.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm back up to 43 with a bunch of wins running HK (L), 86, 88, Lumi, and Poggle. Not perfect, but much improved.
  • lunarwolf
    357 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nice congrats

yeah RG has only 2 hard nodes unfortunately, but with your type of team he should pay off in the long run.

as a stop gap you could also consider farming GS since he is easy to farm cantina node 1A - he can dps, call in assists, is quick and not as squishy as 88

as I suspected HK didn't keep his #1 spot on my server. he ended up 8th for the day. still decent in a world of dooku and qgj.

meanwhile I failed the top 20 by a hair :( sometimes I get it and others not. just wasn't one of those days
  • Options
    HK (L)
    Poggle
    RG

HK is better leader for droids than Poggle, because speed is their biggest weakness. this lack of speed is only amplified vs quick Dooku

don't get me wrong Poggle as leader offers increased offence, but I think speed is more usefull. Poggle still has offence up buff and HK also gives a crit chance bonus on top of speed

you will need a tank to protect your glass cannons at start when they build up their turn meters. RG is a solid choice w/ his auto taunt - it may be enough breathing room for 88 to survive first turn

my 2 cents

+1