GAC mismatches

Dear CG,

Please, can you revise your matchmaking for Grand Arena division 1? Why are we facing opponents with astronomically higher GP totals (1.5 mil+ more)? Just reached this division and suddenly my opponents have a much, much deeper roster than I do. That wasn't an issue in previous divisions. It isn't fun guys.

That's it, everyone have a nice day.

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    Looks like that top-heavy roster finally caught up with you. You'll do better once you have SLKR up to relics but you might consider upgrading some neglected toons / squads to g12/g13r0 next, to balance things a bit better.
  • Options
    I mean you aren't wrong. The CLS squad in particular needs some love, and has for a very long time. The problem is JML is much farther off for me than SEE, and keeping up with the meta means farming it ASAP, so I feel almost forced to gear SEE characters instead of the JKL characters. Not to mention there seems to be a new ship meta brewing, so I'm also working on the Razor Crest and unlocking Beskar Mando (which will help out my bounty hunters at least).

So, it seems I face the choice of staying relevant in the other two arenas or balancing out my roster for GAC. Can the algorithm not be improved at all to match GP totals a bit better? It just seems really lopsided as is, at least with my top heavy roster.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    So, it seems I face the choice of staying relevant in the other two arenas or balancing out my roster for GAC.

Taking your SLKR to R8 w. Ultimate will help you in both squad arena and GAC.
    Can the algorithm not be improved at all to match GP totals a bit better? It just seems really lopsided as is, at least with my top heavy roster.

Why would you match by GP totals (a bit better)? If you only need X characters to win a round the GP of the remaining/unused characters is irrelevant for the outcome.

• Options
    The remaining characters are only irrelevant if you are able to complete all battles in one shot.

The more viable teams a person has, the more possible attempts they have. Not to mention more freedom when deciding what to place on offense and defense. The GP does matter.
  • Options
    The remaining characters are only irrelevant if you are able to complete all battles in one shot.

The more viable teams a person has, the more possible attempts they have. Not to mention more freedom when deciding what to place on offense and defense. The GP does matter.

The instant I need to use characters beyond the minimum number, I’ve already lost.
  • Options
    Doesn't always play out that way for me. It's actually relatively frequent that I'll end up with defensive holds, and that's not for lack of saving an offense. It's happened several times in division 1 and I just got here.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    @BadunkAdunk

In your 3 most recent rounds the round winners used 31.3 characters on offense on average along with the 33 characters on defense. How many characters would you suggest should be considered during matchmaking?
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I'm sorry, I fail to see your point. You actually can't see my most recent matches as they haven't been synced with swgoh.gg yet.

You're using a small sample of a larger picture to prove a point, I take it? You're saying that under any circumstance every GAC match should take one round to complete, or...?

Because it seems to me you aren't allowing for multiple attempts, which is something I can't get behind.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I fail to see your point. You actually can't see my most recent matches as they haven't been synced with swgoh.gg yet.

You're using a small sample of a larger picture to prove a point, I take it? You're saying that under any circumstance every GAC match should take one round to complete, or...?

Because it seems to me you aren't allowing for multiple attempts, which is something I can't get behind.

It's not about what anybody allows or doesn't allow. It's about how your 3 most recent rounds in your GAC history on swgoh.gg actually played out. Feel free to check more rounds yourself to have a larger sample size. I'm sure you will discover that the round winners don't use much more than 33 characters on offense on average - maybe slightly more but not much more. Some players are actually consistently below 33 but I assume that others may be slightly above 33.

So again:
    How many characters would you suggest should be considered during matchmaking?

• BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    You're missing what I'm saying. My last round had one defensive hold, and the round before that had two defensive holds. Is that what "it" is about? That's 2 and 3 battles respectively. You're completely wrong that these stops don't happen, so quit gaslighting with what "it" is and isn't about.

I would suggest the GP disparities be pared back as they are in previous divisions.

Is this like, all you do?
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Doesn't always play out that way for me. It's actually relatively frequent that I'll end up with defensive holds, and that's not for lack of saving an offense. It's happened several times in division 1 and I just got here.

Rarely happens to me but it does. Did this round in fact. But I won. I have more GLs.

Git more GLs.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    You're missing what I'm saying. My last round had one defensive hold, and the round before that had two defensive holds. Is that what "it" is about? That's 2 and 3 battles respectively. You're completely wrong that these stops don't happen, so quit gaslighting with what "it" is and isn't about.

I assume this was a reply to me, so:
    I never claimed that defensive holds don't happen. Stop making things up.

Here's my claim again:
    Waqui wrote: »
    In your 3 most recent rounds the round winners used 31.3 characters on offense on average along with the 33 characters on defense.

"your 3 most recent rounds" refers to the 3 most recent rounds according to your GAC history on swgoh.gg.

Whether you like it or not the round winners didn't use a whole lot more characters to win than the number of characters that are included in the matchmaking. Whether you like it or not those great disparities in total roster GP which you experienced didn't matter much for the outcome of the round. GP of unused characters didn't affect the outcome.
    I would suggest the GP disparities be pared back as they are in previous divisions.

By splitting up div. 1 in 2 (or more) brackets?
    Is this like, all you do?

I try to avoid making stuff up, yes.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    So, it seems I face the choice of staying relevant in the other two arenas or balancing out my roster for GAC. Can the algorithm not be improved at all to match GP totals a bit better? It just seems really lopsided as is, at least with my top heavy roster.
    The original GA matchmaking did consider full roster GP. It penalized collectors, older accounts and anyone who was fleet-heavy. It also promoted active GP suppression. Not fun.

Moving to top x GP matchmaking with the introduction of GAC gave all players the opportunity to actively manage their roster for GAC to whatever extent suited them and eliminated the need to suppress lower level character development.

The more battles you have to fight beyond the minimum, the less banners you can earn and the more likely you are to lose on efficiency. One-shotting every enemy squad / fleet is the objective.
    Post edited by Rath_Tarr on
  • BadunkAdunk
    87 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I remember that, and it wasn't fun. But surely there is some way to match GP better within their updated algorithm? Maybe not. When I'm facing someone top-loaded like myself with this large GP disparity it's a much different story than if the roster is more spread out, so I agree GP shouldn't be the only consideration. It even feels like the issue has a lot to do with being at the bottom end of the spectrum for division 1.

I still feel like lower level character development is not the way to go and the dude who said "Git more GLs" is on the money. Sure a more balanced roster would help but it's not doing anything against JML in 3v3.

Even though the goal is obviously to score as highly as you can using one-shot battles, it just doesn't always work out that way and that is as much of a part of the game as anything else. It happens, and it's supposed to happen. It's one of the dynamics of GA that makes it interesting. Just because your chances of success diminish with every loss doesn't mean you can't inflict that same predicament on your opponent.

I believe you're right that it will get better with a relic SLKR but the amount of GP bloat that comes before seems like a major hindrance here.
    Post edited by BadunkAdunk on