Farming Tip

2Next

Replies

• Options
    This was working fairly well for me, but there's still some randomness to it obviously.

What I have found though is that if you alternate between a getting a shard drop and then farming two other low energy drops (I try to keep it for something I need anyways) then go back to the shard node on the 3rd sim you have a very high chance of getting the shard, since you're spending your RNG rates for the other approximate 66% missed drop rate on low energy, non-cantina (for me farming in cantina to get shards) drops so you save your cantina energy for getting shards.

It's not perfect, but it's been working more reliably than my first theory.
  • Kurki
    50 posts Member
    Options
    @TheMadTwadder if you are just trolling then kudos to you, because this thread is entertaining. However, if you are not, please try to understand the 2 logical fallacies that you are making.

Confirmation Bias
    You think you see a pattern, you then look for the pattern and because you are seeking it, you think you are seeing it again and again.

However, you must run many iterations of your method and then compare the results to many iterations of the standard method.

Gambler's Fallacy
    You think that being unsuccessful in a roll or any number of rolls improves your chance at success for the next roll. Or vice versa, you think that being successful lowers your chance at success for the next rolls.

But for this to be the case, the program would have to have set limits and quotas for how many shards you can obtain over a series of rolls, and there is no evidence (yet) that any such check is taking place. If each roll is random, then the probability of a shard is the same for each roll.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've done it like 5 billion times. I'm the winner of Star Trek Universe of Heroes.
  • Options
    The OP shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how averages work.
  • Options
    I'm a software developer so I have a decent idea of how coding something like this would work. All these farming tips are likely just shenanigans, but... farming gear is so tedious these days that I still open all of these threads and want so bad to believe these tips...and think more than once about trying it out anyways. sigh.
  • Options
    kaelar wrote: »
    I'm a software developer so I have a decent idea of how coding something like this would work. All these farming tips are likely just shenanigans, but... farming gear is so tedious these days that I still open all of these threads and want so bad to believe these tips...and think more than once about trying it out anyways. sigh.

Kudos colleague. I wander why would someone try to code some mega hidden algorithm which can change some odds when all it takes is generate random number, and that is single line of code. On the other hand - you never know... I've seen some really weird things people do with their software :smile:
    So as they say "pics or it never happened"
  • Options
    But seriously though, I was kinda trolling with the first post, because obviously it does many change it but I noticed some positive effects overall compared to straight grinding so I thought I'd humor the masses and give people something to think about other than Count Dooku's shriveled cheeks.

As for the second tip, it honestly has increased my drop rate. I'll sim in cantina for a shard until I get one, then 2 battles in campaign, then back to cantina. 9/10 times I get the shard the first try, then rinse and repeat. That 1/10 is when it takes 2 tries. As of yet, I've yet to have it take more than 2 and I've been doing great on shards.
  • Options
    EnCC0R
  • Options
    EnCC0R

+1
  • Options
    Yeah, I've done it like 5 billion times. I'm the winner of Star Trek Universe of Heroes.

Dude you are banging you head against a wall. If someone chooses not to believe you then there is nothing you can do to change this.
    There are things that I have tried and worked for me, and I sort of believe you. Good you shared with all of us, but do not expect that you are going to be accepted.
  • Lambi
    473 posts Member
    Options
    This would only be valid IF there is a guaranteed fail-safe that you will pull one item per every N attempts (I.e a guaranteed minimum drop rate). It's been suggested, rumored, and sworn as law by everyone except the people that wrote the code. Until then, you have to assume the law of probability holds: your probability of receiving the item is p on every single attempt, regardless if you restart the client, spin around 3 times, or say the magical incantation prior to simming the battle.

Except you are missing the relevancey of human error in coding.
  • Options
    I sometimes alternate between different nodes if the current one doesn't yield any results in 3 sims.
    Not because I believe I have more chances for drops this way, it's just a slightest bit more entertaining.