Variation in the Cost of Packs

Thulsadoom
51 posts Member
edited April 2021
Morning all,

Today, a pack for just shy of £100 is available. What is however bizarre to me is why the same pack, in terms of contents, in the US is a third cheaper - or to put it another way, this pack in the UK would cost $137.8 and yet it is priced for $99.99.

What is the rationale for this for what is a digital product with seemingly no logistic differences to serve this game in the UK versus the US?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    It's been that way for quite some time now.

For example, the hyperdrive bundle costs $99.99 in the US, but €109.99 (!!) in the EU, which - with today's rates - translates to $131.71 (!!!).

This is a large uptick (~+30%) and, as far as I'm aware, it has not been addressed. It would be nice to hear an official explanation (although, doubt it'll ever happen).
  • Options
    It gives American based players a drastic advantage on procuring additional resources - hardly a level playing field. I see the same also applies to the purchase of crystals - where every $ gives a third more crystals compared to UK and EU counterparts.

Astonishing.
  • flux_rono
    2120 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    Q: Why are packs a different prices in different regions? In Europe it seems unfair to be paying a higher price I’m what is already a stronger currency
    • A: CG_Tophat - It's an exchange rate thing is the simple answer. We don't control the way those play out, but everything is pegged to USD.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/228085/developer-q-a-04-23-2020/p1

• LarGe
    113 posts Member
    Options
    I mean I could just say cause Murica. But I bet it has to do with all the extra taxes ya'll have over there including the VAT(which I don't know there would be that on a digital product), but governments gonna get their hands on every single penny they can.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    flux_rono wrote: »
    Q: Why are packs a different prices in different regions? In Europe it seems unfair to be paying a higher price I’m what is already a stronger currency
    • A: CG_Tophat - It's an exchange rate thing is the simple answer. We don't control the way those play out, but everything is pegged to USD.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/228085/developer-q-a-04-23-2020/p1

This.

CG doesn't control that, you need to look to the provider for your store as they are the ones who handle the pricing after CG sets a price in USD.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »

This.

CG doesn't control that, you need to look to the provider for your store as they are the ones who handle the pricing after CG sets a price in USD.

Have seen this but... Care to explain how paying for the exact same online service/product in a stronger currency makes you pay MORE, than what you would've in a weaker currency (€1.0 costs about $1.2)?

Seems like the opposite should've happened: a $99.99 pack should cost ~€83. Any MMO I've played works like that.

Now, I'm not claiming they're scamming non-US people or whatever, but a solid explanation should be given. Some kind of tax or a charge of the "store provider" (whoever that is, the store works within the game) sounds more reasonable than "exchange rates".

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    KorAgaz wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

This.

Have seen this but... Care to explain how paying for the exact same online service/product in a stronger currency makes you pay MORE, than what you would've in a weaker currency (€1.0 costs about $1.2)?

Seems like the opposite should've happened: a $99.99 pack should cost ~€83. Any MMO I've played works like that.

Now, I'm not claiming they're scamming non-US people or whatever, but a solid explanation should be given. Some kind of tax or a charge of the "store provider" (whoever that is, the store works within the game) sounds more reasonable than "exchange rates".

I agree, a solid explanation should be given. My point is you are asking the wrong people to explain it. Google/Apple are the ones setting the price, you will need to ask them.

I dont think CG can say that, as I dont think they know exactly what those companies are doing to set the prices you see. Even if they did know, I'm not sure they can say it either.