Chat feature?

As an adult of a child I would like to know if there is a chat feature is Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes and is it safe?

Replies

• CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Yes there is, but it will be disabled for those under 13 (I believe), provided the age is input correctly when the account is created.
  • Options
    There is one, and it's safe as far as I can tell, even saying Jesus is censored in it
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    There is one, and it's safe as far as I can tell, even saying Jesus is censored in it

as a parent, I can tell you there are far worse dangers for a child online than dirty words.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

as a parent, I can tell you there are far worse dangers for a child online than dirty words.

And as a parent you should also recognize that everyone has their own line of what is and is not ok for their child.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    RTS wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »

And as a parent you should also recognize that everyone has their own line of what is and is not ok for their child.

Your point?
  • Options
    As an adult, I will never have a child.
  • HandSolo93
    156 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Cajer_La wrote: »

Great input there, chief.

OP: I’m not sure what you mean by «safe». It will be disabled for children under the age of 13/14, and is heavily censored for those above. But then again, there is no moderation or monitoring - unless reported, only those involved will read the chat.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    There is an in-game chat. It’s pretty heavily filtered for language. I don’t believe it would filter if your child gave out personal information about themselves though. I also don’t think that they are monitored, but in the case of an emergency the developers MAY be able to access chat logs - I’m not sure about that.
    As mentioned above, it’s disabled for “underage” accounts.

However the in game chat feature is probably the least of your worries. It’s not very well designed - it’s pretty basic. As a result most players in this game end up using external communication programs (Discord and Line are two of the most popular). These platforms are unfiltered and would probably be a bigger concern for you. Most players use these to talk about the game and about Star Wars, but there are also some channels that include adult content. Private messages between users are also common
    Those platforms are used for other purposes than just this game. And I’m sure if you tried it wouldn’t be too difficult to find some pretty dark content, especially once you get into channels unrelated to gaming.

The above is really painting a worst case scenario for you. I’ve been involved in a lot of different guilds in this game and many different discord channels. Most are pretty safe for a child aside from some adult language.

Any communication feature like these will only be as safe as the people using them are.

@StingrayG301
    Post edited by kello_511 on
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Cajer_La wrote: »

Odd flex but ok.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    better than having an adult, as a child
  • Options
    I think he/she is more concerned about who else is in the chat and could privately chat with the kid