RNG does not exist in the manner that we think it does.

Or atleast that is my belief. I have been studying things like damage, dodges, critical hits, etc between Arena and GW.

Now we are all led to believe that a toon attacks, and in the split second before that attack a roll takes place based on the stats of the attacker and the opponent. The result of that attack is based on attack power, defense, potency, tenacity, critical rating, etc etc etc of both chars. Either that or the roll takes place immediately after the previous toons turn and rolls every possibility against every enemy toon. Either way the roll should produce a different result for each enemy toon based on the stats of the characters.

Now... In arena we would never know if a result would have been different had we attacked a different toon. However... GW has revealed a few things because of the repeatable nature.

It seems to me that results such as dodge, critical hits, etc are determined in a much more simplistic manner. I believe that they proc at the beginning of the offensive players turn and can't possibly be stat based. In GW... It happens much too often where a char cannot hit a single one of the enemy toons. You retreat 5 times, try to hit a different enemy toon and get dodged. The odds of that happening with all stats taken into consideration must be astronomical.

This also happens with damage in GW. I could attack one toon and do 3938 damage, retreat, attack a different toon the next time and I will do the exact same damage. Again... How is that possible with true stat based RNG? If I attack a tank with a high armor and defense rating, but then retreat and attack another char with lower armor then why should the damage be the same?

There are also too many occasions where a toon is in the red, theoretically one hit away from death and that toon either dodges (dodge happens much more often when chars are in the red even though it's not supposed to) or a ridiculously minimum amount of damage is done and that toon doesn't die.

I am the furthest thing from a developer or programmer but I am very observant. I just can't believe that there is any true stat based RNG happening... Atleast not in GW.

I have also tracked AI vs player ratings in GW but I guess that is a subject for a different thread.

Replies

• Options
    Regarding GW this is old news. That's why you can retreat and plan based on events you know are going to happen.
  • Options
    Like the above poster mentioned, this is old news, they call it RNG seeding. There's essentially a pre rolled table of outcomes generated at the beginning of an encounter.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    A few months ago I posted this and a developer told me I was wrong. I told him to go investigate it and apologize when he sees the truth :) he came back and apologized lol
  • Options
    RNG seed remains the same in GW, but for Arena every match you get a different seed.
  • Options
    I guess I'm not explaining this correctly. Obviously I'm well aware of the fact that if you try to do the same thing over and over the results are going to be the same. That is not what I explained above.

In fact... I explained something totally different. Or atleast that's what I tried to do.
  • Options
    RNG seed remains the same in GW, but for Arena every match you get a different seed.

RNG seeds can change in GW. You have to reposition your character lineup at pre-game or change out one character. I usually swap my leaders around, until I get the right one. Also, playing through a losing GW match will bring different RNG results in the follow-up attempt. ( that's why people use b-teams and throwaway characters) Resetting during the first attempt (which is what we do to avoid excess damage or losing good characters) of course only gets you the same RNG setup.

I'm certain arena works with the same RNG concept as GW, except you only get one attempt per match. So, similar to playing through a losing match in GW, the next time you attack that same player, your RNG results will be different.
  • Greg1920
    1777 posts Member
    Options
    The dodges are most interesting.

I think there is an accuracy role for each character say it's from 1-100. if the dodge is 7.5 and the role is below it you miss. If this accuracy is rolled per attack rather than per target it makes sense that since very few targets vary in dodge.

I know that I've had Sid dodge but all others hit but if a standard evasion toon dodges all others will dodge.
  • scuba
    14059 posts Member
    Options
    MrClean621 wrote: »
    I guess I'm not explaining this correctly. Obviously I'm well aware of the fact that if you try to do the same thing over and over the results are going to be the same. That is not what I explained above.

In fact... I explained something totally different. Or atleast that's what I tried to do.

Yup every charater has it's own rng seeding so it doesn't matter who you hit the outcome is the same.
    Same attack from same spot from same charater results in the same effect regardless of target. That affect can be dodge or damage. Debuffs can end up differently but normally not

To change the outcome, use the charater from a different spot or use a different attack.
  • Options

RNG seeds can change in GW. You have to reposition your character lineup at pre-game or change out one character. I usually swap my leaders around, until I get the right one. Also, playing through a losing GW match will bring different RNG results in the follow-up attempt. ( that's why people use b-teams and throwaway characters) Resetting during the first attempt (which is what we do to avoid excess damage or losing good characters) of course only gets you the same RNG setup.

I'm certain arena works with the same RNG concept as GW, except you only get one attempt per match. So, similar to playing through a losing match in GW, the next time you attack that same player, your RNG results will be different.

This is correct. I should've provided a more detailed answer.
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    Options
    MrClean621 wrote: »
    This also happens with damage in GW. I could attack one toon and do 3938 damage, retreat, attack a different toon the next time and I will do the exact same damage. Again... How is that possible with true stat based RNG? If I attack a tank with a high armor and defense rating, but then retreat and attack another char with lower armor then why should the damage be the same?
    I went through my last GW node, using the same toon to attack all 5 opponents one at a time and retreating.
  • Options
    Barrok wrote: »
    A few months ago I posted this and a developer told me I was wrong. I told him to go investigate it and apologize when he sees the truth :) he came back and apologized lol

:D Sounds like the broken speed tiers :# LOL
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.