Who should I place on defense?

Hey, all

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. This is my first GA with my relic gas and I’m going against someone with both Revans. What do you think my defense should look like?

Me: https://swgoh.gg/p/772688236/

My opponent:
njo71uoor0qy.png

I took a look at the current GA meta but it’s still hard for me to know where to prioritize. Thanks a lot for any help or opinions offered

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    The strategic decisions are really no different from your previous GACs. GAS is merely another asset with strengths and weaknesses.
  • Options
    Relic gas fives and rex can take most non gls in 3x3. If you take it against Dr, malak, badstilla, don't aoe with gas. Just go after bastilla first then Dr with gas basics
  • crzydroid
    7301 posts Moderator
    Options
    Look up your opponent's GAC history and see what they have on defense.
  • Options
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Look up your opponent's GAC history and see what they have on defense.
    I always do but he has no swgoh
  • KaliMendo
    27 posts Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Snowbird13 wrote: »
    Relic gas fives and rex can take most non gls in 3x3. If you take it against Dr, malak, badstilla, don't aoe with gas. Just go after bastilla first then Dr with gas basics
    Awesome so I’ll keep gas and place Padme. I guess that was my biggest question. Thanks so much
  • Options
    @KaliMendo
    GAS has some easy counters. On defense you are not going to likely get a hold with GAS. It is probably better to save GAS Rex and 5s for offense. If your opponent has nothing particularly requiring GAS, you can always use him for high banner win solo, and Shaak/Rex/5s for another battle.

GAS is kinda wasted on D.
  • TheJEFFtm
    917 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @KaliMendo
    GAS has some easy counters. On defense you are not going to likely get a hold with GAS. It is probably better to save GAS Rex and 5s for offense. If your opponent has nothing particularly requiring GAS, you can always use him for high banner win solo, and Shaak/Rex/5s for another battle.

GAS is kinda wasted on D.

I’d argue the opposite (other than agreeing that if they set a fairly soft defense where you can use GAS as a high banner solo character) - unless you are reasonably sure you will NEED your GAS/501st to clear the opponents board, from a banner efficiency standpoint, GAS/501st is much better defensively.

When used offensively, other than GAS regenerating while in cover, there is no protection recovery for the team, so the first opposing AOE is going to strip a max protection banner for each other member of your team, and since (unless you are massively over killing your target) GAS will likely be knocked into cover at least once during the fight, paired with the fact that you likely are going to burn 5’s taunt special on his first turn while GAS is still in Advance, there is a fairly high likelihood of 5’s sacrifice also being triggered, which is another 4 banners gone.
    Finally, unless you somehow manage to time it that GAS is coming out of cover ‘naturally’ with full protection as the final attack, his permanent taunt while Advancing means GAS is also very unlikely to finish the fight with full protection himself, which is another banner gone.

Conversely, if left on Defense, unless the opponent brings a team that provides a TON of protection up/bonus protection/protection regen, or otherwise massively overkill’s him with a GL counter (or an annihilate/instant defeat) GAS is likely to get his own high damage AOE off at least once, stripping a max protection banner from each opposing team member, and if nothing else he WILL get a turn coming out of Cover when they kill the rest of the team, and he is going to have all his bonuses, meaning a fairly high probability of punching through protection completely and also stripping a max health banner (if not outright one-shotting his target), and a fair chance of doing the same on each of his counter attacks until defeated…

TL/DR
    GAS fights tend to be ugly, better to let the enemy lose banners knocking yours out than to miss max banners using yours offensively.
    Post edited by TheJEFFtm on