Slave I forever?

Prev1
CadoaBane
538 posts Member
There are talks and rumors going on about Disney wishing to rename the original "Slave I" to only "Boba Fett's Starship" with no name at all. The reasons are vaguely described as a strange modern form of "political correctness" , even though I have no idea how that even fits into a fictional Universe.

However, my question is: how would you find it if the ship gets renamed in this game here, too?

Slave I forever? 18 votes

Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!
83%
Snake2AleSahnDroh_1979LordGrahckDarthVeritlynGunner420SchwartzringDEATHERMBRedlineArtumasBlubcopB0ba_F3ttTuviaDawgAhnaldisGOATJainaSoloWoolHerobrine79 15 votes
I agree with the reasoning behind a change and would appreciate it.
5%
jedikilla84 1 vote
I'm not enough of a hardcore-fan to care and/or only want to see the results.
11%
CarSickShoeT_AlphaMale1 2 votes

Replies

  • Sebek
    2138 posts Member
    edited July 4
    Those rumours are false. The only thing that happened is that Lego named the new Slave I set as Boba Fett's Starfighter, as have they done previously (Grievous' Soulless One, Bad Batch's Havoc Marauder)
    Remember: reality is an illusion. The universe is a hologram. Buy gold. Bye!
  • CadoaBane
    538 posts Member
    edited July 4
    Sebek wrote: »
    Those rumours are false. The only thing that happened is that Lego named the new Slave I set as Boba Fett's Starfighter, as have they done previously (Grievous' Soulless One, Bad Batch's Havoc Marauder)

    My intention here was not to solve if the rumors are true or false (though any information about it is appreciated!) , but even if they are false, I'm interested in people's theoretical opinion.
  • Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.
  • LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy
  • Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!

    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?
  • TVF
    30068 posts Member
    JainaSolo wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?

    GRANDMA: Hey Timmy likes Star Wars, and I'm pretty sure I've head of Boba Fett!
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    30068 posts Member
    heard not head lol
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3230 posts Member
    JainaSolo wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?

    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.

    I don’t think anyone is really concerned with the name being “slave.” If Disney was concerned about their villains representing touchy subjects, they would never have allowed Captain America: The First Avenger to happen. I am also in the camp that sees this as a purely money making move: The name Boba Fett is more recognizable than Slave 1, so it only makes sense that Disney would try to attach his name to more merchandise. All of the articles I’ve read on the subject seem to think that in-universe it will remain Slave 1.
  • Sebek
    2138 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    JainaSolo wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?

    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.

    I don’t think anyone is really concerned with the name being “slave.” If Disney was concerned about their villains representing touchy subjects, they would never have allowed Captain America: The First Avenger to happen. I am also in the camp that sees this as a purely money making move: The name Boba Fett is more recognizable than Slave 1, so it only makes sense that Disney would try to attach his name to more merchandise. All of the articles I’ve read on the subject seem to think that in-universe it will remain Slave 1.

    To add to this, Lego has done this before, like Soulless One was named General Grievous' Starfigter, Havoc Marauder was named Bad Batch Attack Shuttle, Night Buzzard was named Knights of Ren Transport Ship, Red Five was named Luke Skywalker's X-Wing Fighter, Moff Gideon's Light Cruiser was named Imperial Light Cruiser.
    Remember: reality is an illusion. The universe is a hologram. Buy gold. Bye!
  • Kyno
    30528 posts Moderator
    Sebek wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    JainaSolo wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?

    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.

    I don’t think anyone is really concerned with the name being “slave.” If Disney was concerned about their villains representing touchy subjects, they would never have allowed Captain America: The First Avenger to happen. I am also in the camp that sees this as a purely money making move: The name Boba Fett is more recognizable than Slave 1, so it only makes sense that Disney would try to attach his name to more merchandise. All of the articles I’ve read on the subject seem to think that in-universe it will remain Slave 1.

    To add to this, Lego has done this before, like Soulless One was named General Grievous' Starfigter, Havoc Marauder was named Bad Batch Attack Shuttle, Night Buzzard was named Knights of Ren Transport Ship, Red Five was named Luke Skywalker's X-Wing Fighter, Moff Gideon's Light Cruiser was named Imperial Light Cruiser.

    This. Lego is following the same pattern they always have, this is only being noticed because of some "current mindset". This is less of an "issue" and more along the lines of "confirmation bias".
  • Nikoms565
    14213 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    JainaSolo wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?

    GRANDMA: Hey Timmy likes Star Wars, and I'm pretty sure I've head of Boba Fett!

    Grandma is the boss of Boba Fett!
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Head of Jango is more likely, if we're just talking heads.
    Officer in Ewoks Fit In Blenders. Traya, Wat & Negotiator on farm. PM to join us.
  • TVF
    30068 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    JainaSolo wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?

    GRANDMA: Hey Timmy likes Star Wars, and I'm pretty sure I've head of Boba Fett!

    Grandma is the boss of Boba Fett!

    Haha my bad, I meant to say "I'm" for sure :smile:
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!
    If we are going to have a complaint about Lego naming it shouldn't be that they are not using the "Specific Ship Name"

    It should be that they called it a Starfighter.

    Its a GUNSHIP dang it.

    And, that's all I have to say about this re-donkey-u-lus topic :)


  • Nihion
    3230 posts Member
    Actually they used “starship,” and I’m not really sure what that means in Star Wars.
  • Sebek
    2138 posts Member
    Nihion wrote: »
    Actually they used “starship,” and I’m not really sure what that means in Star Wars.

    It's a ship that flies between stars... duh. /s
    Remember: reality is an illusion. The universe is a hologram. Buy gold. Bye!
  • Snake2
    1449 posts Member
    Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!
    Kyno wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    JainaSolo wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Sebek wrote: »
    LordGrahck wrote: »
    Knowing how crazy liberals can get over things they perceive as a problem, whether it really is or not, they'll blow it out of proportion until it is a problem, and Slave 1 will get changed. I just wish people would leave well enough alone!

    Literally no one is saying it should be changed.

    The fact that Disney is wanting to change it for the LEGO release proves otherwise.

    Did you stop to think for a second that perhaps the reasoning isn't "political correctness" or whatever other punching bag people like to use, but just simple marketing? How many people outside of the fandom even know what the Slave I is by name? I can guarantee that more people know it just as Boba Fett's ship, and naming the Lego set like that just makes it easier for people to find. Not everything is some huge conspiracy

    Why would someone who wasn’t a Star Wars fan buy a Star Wars LEGO set?

    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.

    I don’t think anyone is really concerned with the name being “slave.” If Disney was concerned about their villains representing touchy subjects, they would never have allowed Captain America: The First Avenger to happen. I am also in the camp that sees this as a purely money making move: The name Boba Fett is more recognizable than Slave 1, so it only makes sense that Disney would try to attach his name to more merchandise. All of the articles I’ve read on the subject seem to think that in-universe it will remain Slave 1.

    To add to this, Lego has done this before, like Soulless One was named General Grievous' Starfigter, Havoc Marauder was named Bad Batch Attack Shuttle, Night Buzzard was named Knights of Ren Transport Ship, Red Five was named Luke Skywalker's X-Wing Fighter, Moff Gideon's Light Cruiser was named Imperial Light Cruiser.

    This. Lego is following the same pattern they always have, this is only being noticed because of some "current mindset". This is less of an "issue" and more along the lines of "confirmation bias".

    Lego has certainly done this with other ships recently, but it has not always been that way.

    Lego packaging did say slave 1 in the past.

    It can be yours on Amazon for the low low price of $700 lol.
  • Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!
    It’s a sad world we live in where one of the most classic ship in Star Wars has to change its name because it’s “offensive”
  • Kyno
    30528 posts Moderator
    B0ba_F3tt wrote: »
    It’s a sad world we live in where one of the most classic ship in Star Wars has to change its name because it’s “offensive”

    Since that is not what's happening, does that means it's a happy world???
  • TVF
    30068 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    B0ba_F3tt wrote: »
    It’s a sad world we live in where one of the most classic ship in Star Wars has to change its name because it’s “offensive”

    Since that is not what's happening, does that means it's a happy world???

    Can confirm!
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I don’t see what all of the fuss is about, they never changed. Even if they did, so what? It’s just a lego set.
  • CadoaBane
    538 posts Member
    Thanks for the replies so far, I'm really enjoying reading the discussion. Please don't take things too seriously when discussing about rumors, as the intention was mostly just curiosity. ;)
    Nihion wrote: »
    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.
    Hello there, sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone by using that wording. B) That's just my personal definition of "hard-core" in such a situation... a "regular" fan can love Star Wars with the same passion, while "hard-core" fans to me only means knowing and caring about all those nerdy little details (in a positive way) .
  • Nihion
    3230 posts Member
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far, I'm really enjoying reading the discussion. Please don't take things too seriously when discussing about rumors, as the intention was mostly just curiosity. ;)
    Nihion wrote: »
    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.
    Hello there, sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone by using that wording. B) That's just my personal definition of "hard-core" in such a situation... a "regular" fan can love Star Wars with the same passion, while "hard-core" fans to me only means knowing and caring about all those nerdy little details (in a positive way) .

    You didn’t offend me, I just don’t agree with your definition.
  • CadoaBane
    538 posts Member
    edited July 12
    Nihion wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far, I'm really enjoying reading the discussion. Please don't take things too seriously when discussing about rumors, as the intention was mostly just curiosity. ;)
    Nihion wrote: »
    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.
    Hello there, sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone by using that wording. B) That's just my personal definition of "hard-core" in such a situation... a "regular" fan can love Star Wars with the same passion, while "hard-core" fans to me only means knowing and caring about all those nerdy little details (in a positive way) .

    You didn’t offend me, I just don’t agree with your definition.
    Roger roger :) .But what term would fit better from your point of view? (Maybe I should add that English is not my first language)
  • Snake2
    1449 posts Member
    Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far, I'm really enjoying reading the discussion. Please don't take things too seriously when discussing about rumors, as the intention was mostly just curiosity. ;)
    Nihion wrote: »
    Why should we assume that all Star Wars fans are obsessed with the factual names, technology, and lore of the Star Wars universe? Same goes for the poll: I don’t really care, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not enough of a hard core fan.
    Hello there, sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone by using that wording. B) That's just my personal definition of "hard-core" in such a situation... a "regular" fan can love Star Wars with the same passion, while "hard-core" fans to me only means knowing and caring about all those nerdy little details (in a positive way) .

    You didn’t offend me, I just don’t agree with your definition.
    Roger roger :) .But what term would fit better from your point of view? (Maybe I should add that English is not my first language)

    "You can refer to the members of a group who are the most committed to its activities or who are the most involved in them as a hard core of members or as the hard-core members."

    Your use of hardcore is correct. I certainly care about ship names for important ships, but i don't spend time learning more niche names.

    I accept that some fans are more hardcore than me =p
  • Nihion
    3230 posts Member
    I don’t agree that knowing niche names and extensive lore is what makes a person more committed to Star Wars. For example, a Star Wars fan could love the movies, buy merchandise, and constantly discuss Star Wars without knowing names such as Slave 1. I think that usually a committed fan will end up learning all of the names and general lore of the universe, but that’s not the benchmark for being a hardcore fan. I think putting restrictions on what makes a hardcore fan “hardcore” is a dangerous practice that invalidates people’s interests. Knowing that I’m a hardcore fan and that others consider themselves hardcore fans all with varying levels and types of interest in Star Wars is part of my definition of hardcore. So overall, you did not offend me, but the way the poll is worded could be considered gatekeeping. I don’t blame you, it’s common among Star Wars fans, I just wanted to point it out.
  • Nihion
    3230 posts Member
    To answer your question more directly: I wouldn’t worry about the term usage here, just the general phrasing of the poll. For example, I would’ve worded that option as “I do not care about the specific names, but I am interested in the results”
  • Snake2
    1449 posts Member
    Slave I forever, stop touching things that have always been canon!
    Nihion wrote: »
    I don’t agree that knowing niche names and extensive lore is what makes a person more committed to Star Wars. For example, a Star Wars fan could love the movies, buy merchandise, and constantly discuss Star Wars without knowing names such as Slave 1. I think that usually a committed fan will end up learning all of the names and general lore of the universe, but that’s not the benchmark for being a hardcore fan. I think putting restrictions on what makes a hardcore fan “hardcore” is a dangerous practice that invalidates people’s interests. Knowing that I’m a hardcore fan and that others consider themselves hardcore fans all with varying levels and types of interest in Star Wars is part of my definition of hardcore. So overall, you did not offend me, but the way the poll is worded could be considered gatekeeping. I don’t blame you, it’s common among Star Wars fans, I just wanted to point it out.

    Gotcha. Everyone gets a trophy
  • Nihion
    3230 posts Member
    Snake2 wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    I don’t agree that knowing niche names and extensive lore is what makes a person more committed to Star Wars. For example, a Star Wars fan could love the movies, buy merchandise, and constantly discuss Star Wars without knowing names such as Slave 1. I think that usually a committed fan will end up learning all of the names and general lore of the universe, but that’s not the benchmark for being a hardcore fan. I think putting restrictions on what makes a hardcore fan “hardcore” is a dangerous practice that invalidates people’s interests. Knowing that I’m a hardcore fan and that others consider themselves hardcore fans all with varying levels and types of interest in Star Wars is part of my definition of hardcore. So overall, you did not offend me, but the way the poll is worded could be considered gatekeeping. I don’t blame you, it’s common among Star Wars fans, I just wanted to point it out.

    Gotcha. Everyone gets a trophy

    No, not at all. It’s simply respecting other people.

    Defining a “hardcore Star Wars fan” with specific rules that push others away is gatekeeping. The “participation trophy” argument used to put others down does not apply here.
  • Nihion wrote: »
    I don’t agree that knowing niche names and extensive lore is what makes a person more committed to Star Wars. [...]
    And I never said that, please read again. B) I think some people are taking a simple wording way too seriously. It's just a term you either refer yourself to or not, there's no judgement included into either positive or negative direction. Personally when someone only knows the movies of a franchise, I'd call him a regular/mainstream fan which is also not judging, but only to make a (personal) difference between them and, e.g. my best friend who is literally a walking Wookiepedia. ;) I'm just anywhere in between those "categories" .
    Nihion wrote: »
    To answer your question more directly: I wouldn’t worry about the term usage here, just the general phrasing of the poll. For example, I would’ve worded that option as “I do not care about the specific names, but I am interested in the results”
    Well, I thought that my usage of "and/or" should actually have solved such a problem.
Sign In or Register to comment.