GAC Divisions and Matchmaking

This is just my feedback if anyone from CG pays attention to these things. It's just honest feedback I am intending to be constructive. I really like all aspects of this game with the exception of GAC. I love the concept of GAC, but I think it's poorly done. I'm sure some love it just as it is. For what is is worth, I have 2 big problems with the current format:
1) It was explained to me in the past that players with no highly developed characters were able to finish high in the ranks of the division because they didn't have to compete against those with highly developed players so that matches would be fair and balanced. So you can have only weak teams and finish ahead of people that you couldn't possibly win a match against. I don't like it, but it's the way it is. I could live with that. But when those of us with a few good, relic characters constantly get matched against players with GLs I don't see how that follows this "fair and balanced" for the sake of competitiveness thing I was told before. There are 2 GLs in my bracket at Division 8 this time and they are both on the same player's roster. If everyone had to compete against everyone else, then I wouldn't have a problem with this at all. That would just be the luck of the draw. But that's not the case. I would have to really look at it to tell you exactly how I think Divisions should be done, but I can tell you this - everyone in the division should compete against everyone else in the division. If you say it isn't fair because they couldn't compete, then they should be in a different division.
2) The other issue I have is the number of slots needed. In division 8, I would much rather set 3 or 4 good defensive teams and need 3 or 4 good Teams to beat have a chance against my opponent who does the same. As it is, having a few developed teams, we have to stretch them and divide them for all the matches so it just becomes a matter of who can score the most points by going "small" where you can. I would prefer being forced to have good, developed teams, but that can only happen with fewer required teams. Of course I realize some like it as it is.

With current format, I don't enjoy this part of the game, so I'm going to join what seems to be the growing number that sets a defense at the beginning of the round to get min rewards and forgets it. For the record, I finished Kyber last time, so this is not just coming from someone being sour that they are not good enough to compete.

Replies

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    1) if.you are in a division 8 bracket with an opponent who has 2 GLs while you have none then not only must they have a ridiculously lean roster but you must have a ridiculous amount of GP bloat
    2) Learn, adapt and overcome... or don't

For the record I have finished Kyber every single GAC.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    It's true. He's kind of a big deal B)
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    1) if.you are in a division 8 bracket with an opponent who has 2 GLs while you have none then not only must they have a ridiculously lean roster but you must have a ridiculous amount of GP bloat

1) I don't see what that would have to do with even match making. Actually, I don't think I have a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. I didn't start playing with a plan from day one but I don't think the 1st few weeks or even months allow you to gather much junk. My opponents roster isn't that lean. He did a great focused job. Obviously planned from the start. If you consider just the characters required to get those GLs he can't be all that lean. I think a player of your level probably only gets a lot of first hand insight at the higher levels, but I might be wrong. I know a lot of people have multiple accounts.
    2) Like I said above, just going with "don't". I wasn't trying to debate anyone or really tell the it's "wrong". It's wrong to me. My opinion. With the millions that play this I have no doubt some agree with me so maybe someone might find the feedback useful or at least worth looking at from my perspective. If the case is that the vast majority of players like it just the way it is, then they should keep as it is.

I didn't state I finished Kyber as some sort of bragging. I'm just trying to stress that I didn't post this because I can't compete as it is - I know some people will jump to that conclusion.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    "kind of"? :p
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    shaun51422 wrote: »

1) I don't see what that would have to do with even match making. Actually, I don't think I have a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. I didn't start playing with a plan from day one but I don't think the 1st few weeks or even months allow you to gather much junk. My opponents roster isn't that lean. He did a great focused job. Obviously planned from the start. If you consider just the characters required to get those GLs he can't be all that lean. I think a player of your level probably only gets a lot of first hand insight at the higher levels, but I might be wrong. I know a lot of people have multiple accounts.
    2) Like I said above, just going with "don't". I wasn't trying to debate anyone or really tell the it's "wrong". It's wrong to me. My opinion. With the millions that play this I have no doubt some agree with me so maybe someone might find the feedback useful or at least worth looking at from my perspective. If the case is that the vast majority of players like it just the way it is, then they should keep as it is.

I didn't state I finished Kyber as some sort of bragging. I'm just trying to stress that I didn't post this because I can't compete as it is - I know some people will jump to that conclusion.
    GL prerequisites are several hundred-thousand GP, ranging from quite useful to useless and at your level, all of it will be included in their matchmaking GP. In order to get matched with a 2 GL opponent you must have similar matchmaking GP. Typically that means a lot of mid-high relic characters &/or zetas.

By lean I mean that most if not all of the power in his roster is clustered im those two GLs and their prerequisites (useful or not) giving him him 2-4 really strong squads and not a whole lot else to work with.

I was around 1m GP when GA began so I have played GA(C) from 1m GP (div 10) up to almost 6m GP (div 4, formerly div 1), with and without GLs I made it my business early on to understand matchmaking and adapt my roster to perform better.

• Options

So are you one of the youtube guys or something? Sorry, I watch a little of it, but wouldn't recognize you by name.
  • Options

GL prerequisites are several hundred-thousand GP, ranging from quite useful to useless and at your level, all of it will be included in their matchmaking GP. In order to get matched with a 2 GL opponent you must have similar matchmaking GP. Typically that means a lot of mid-high relic characters &/or zetas.

By lean I mean that most if not all of the power in his roster is clustered im those two GLs and their prerequisites (useful or not) giving him him 2-4 really strong squads and not a whole lot else to work with.

I was around 1m GP when GA began so I have played GA(C) from 1m GP (div 10) up to almost 6m GP (div 4, formerly div 1), with and without GLs I made it my business early on to understand matchmaking and adapt my roster to perform better.

Just my opinion. I really enjoy all the other aspects of this game and would recommend it, so just wanted to leave some hopefully constructive feedback. If the way it is makes the most people happy, then they should leave it. But if nobody gives feedback, then they don't hear it. I tried to be detailed because "I don't like the way it is, please fix it" isn't really feedback.

I wish I had screen shot of his roster before it was over. Really the best job I have seen.

I really don't even know if this feedback section is for feedback regarding the game or these forums. If it is the forums, then it is outstanding. I have asked for help / advise many times and mods are always great and the community is usually great as well.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

So are you one of the youtube guys or something? Sorry, I watch a little of it, but wouldn't recognize you by name.
    Nah, I'm just a smartypants who actually knows a thing or two. TVF was poking fun at me with his comment.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

Nah, I'm just a smartypants who actually knows a thing or two. TVF was poking fun at me with his comment.

Exactly how "a big deal" would play it off.
  • TVF
    36605 posts Member
    Options
    Kyno wrote: »

Exactly how "a big deal" would play it off.

Right but not a "kind of" big deal.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options
    6gpy2i2gc7dl.jpg
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Options
    This is just my feedback if anyone from CG pays attention to these things. It's just honest feedback I am intending to be constructive. I really like all aspects of this game with the exception of GAC. I love the concept of GAC, but I think it's poorly done. I'm sure some love it just as it is. For what is is worth, I have 2 big problems with the current format:
    1) It was explained to me in the past that players with no highly developed characters were able to finish high in the ranks of the division because they didn't have to compete against those with highly developed players so that matches would be fair and balanced. So you can have only weak teams and finish ahead of people that you couldn't possibly win a match against. I don't like it, but it's the way it is. I could live with that. But when those of us with a few good, relic characters constantly get matched against players with GLs I don't see how that follows this "fair and balanced" for the sake of competitiveness thing I was told before. There are 2 GLs in my bracket at Division 8 this time and they are both on the same player's roster. If everyone had to compete against everyone else, then I wouldn't have a problem with this at all. That would just be the luck of the draw. But that's not the case. I would have to really look at it to tell you exactly how I think Divisions should be done, but I can tell you this - everyone in the division should compete against everyone else in the division. If you say it isn't fair because they couldn't compete, then they should be in a different division.
    2) The other issue I have is the number of slots needed. In division 8, I would much rather set 3 or 4 good defensive teams and need 3 or 4 good Teams to beat have a chance against my opponent who does the same. As it is, having a few developed teams, we have to stretch them and divide them for all the matches so it just becomes a matter of who can score the most points by going "small" where you can. I would prefer being forced to have good, developed teams, but that can only happen with fewer required teams. Of course I realize some like it as it is.

With current format, I don't enjoy this part of the game, so I'm going to join what seems to be the growing number that sets a defense at the beginning of the round to get min rewards and forgets it. For the record, I finished Kyber last time, so this is not just coming from someone being sour that they are not good enough to compete.

1) Could you pleas share your swgoh.gg ? I,don’t see how someone like you with only a few good relics characters can be match with someone who have 25+ relic characters.

2) that’s the fun of it imo, it gives you a lot of room for a lot of choices. Will you do as you say, even things out, or field very strong teams and very weak teams, keep your strong guns for offense or build a wall ? How will you develop your roster ? More slots, more choices, more fun.