Thrawn and the Chimera Not as Good as They Should Be?

Diminuendo
6 posts Member
edited August 2021
Finally finished the new Thrawn trilogy and was inspired to go back and reread the original Heir to the Empire series, and it’s got me thinking: shouldn’t the Chimera be way better? Thrawn was a tactical genius is canon and legends, but his ship gets absolutely bodied by nearly every other fleet in the game, and now, his fleet is in many ways a worse empire fleet compared to Tarkin, and a much worse bounty hunter fleet compared to the Executor. Just…bothers me, and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Options
    Sorry, *in* canon and legends, not “is”
  • Options
    They don’t care about lore when it comes to game mechanics
  • WD_40
    113 posts Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Diminuendo wrote: »
    Finally finished the new Thrawn trilogy and was inspired to go back and reread the original Heir to the Empire series, and it’s got me thinking: shouldn’t the Chimera be way better? Thrawn was a tactical genius is canon and legends, but his ship gets absolutely bodied by nearly every other fleet in the game, and now, his fleet is in many ways a worse empire fleet compared to Tarkin, and a much worse bounty hunter fleet compared to the Executor. Just…bothers me, and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same

Agreed, Thrawn is probably my favorite Star Wars character ever, and he as a ground unit in the game is very very good, the fracture mechanic (while getting nerfed) is always going to be extremely relevant and an important tool for all players. I think as a character they did him justice because while he is proficient in hand-to-hand combat, he doesn't excel there (compared to force wielders). But you're right, his ship is lackluster, and Tarkin's ship is not only more early game friendly, but better than the Chimera in every way except the ultimate and banner recovery for GAC. It really sucks to have probably the best fleet commander in the canon history of star wars have a terrible ship in the game.

But even more than that, the Chimera is a journey guide capital ship. For a while, it was the only Journey Guide capital ship (now the executor is technically journey guide, just not permanent yet). For simple game balance purposes it should be the best Empire capital ship, and up there with Home One (not quite GET2 level). But alas, it is not so. And given the fact that the empire has a good enough capital ship in the Executrix, we are not likely to see a rework in the era of GLs.

p.s. I'm hoping that in a year or 2 after the Ahsoka tv show has come out, we get a new Imperial Remnant Thrawn (GL perhaps?)
  • Options
    Shaddess wrote: »
    They don’t care about lore when it comes to game mechanics

True. Look at Mace Windu. A prime example of a "boss" Jedi, but is pretty dismal at best. Same could be said for so many other characters.
  • WD_40
    113 posts Member
    Options
    Really, there's no incentive to unlock the ship, unless you just want to. It's not good enough to warrant building towards it, and it's not a prereq for anything. The only reason someone new would unlock the ship is that they like Thrawn and/or the Rebels TV show
  • Options
    WD_40 wrote: »
    Diminuendo wrote: »

Agreed, Thrawn is probably my favorite Star Wars character ever, and he as a ground unit in the game is very very good, the fracture mechanic (while getting nerfed) is always going to be extremely relevant and an important tool for all players. I think as a character they did him justice because while he is proficient in hand-to-hand combat, he doesn't excel there (compared to force wielders). But you're right, his ship is lackluster, and Tarkin's ship is not only more early game friendly, but better than the Chimera in every way except the ultimate and banner recovery for GAC. It really sucks to have probably the best fleet commander in the canon history of star wars have a terrible ship in the game.

But even more than that, the Chimera is a journey guide capital ship. For a while, it was the only Journey Guide capital ship (now the executor is technically journey guide, just not permanent yet). For simple game balance purposes it should be the best Empire capital ship, and up there with Home One (not quite GET2 level). But alas, it is not so. And given the fact that the empire has a good enough capital ship in the Executrix, we are not likely to see a rework in the era of GLs.

p.s. I'm hoping that in a year or 2 after the Ahsoka tv show has come out, we get a new Imperial Remnant Thrawn (GL perhaps?)

I agree on the journey guide point. Especially with the new push from CG to match investment in GLs to their power, a journey guide ship being worse than the starter empire ship is pretty tragic.

Also with release of Executor, chimaera no longer has left over BH fleet. So no use in game at all