For anyone who is 'different'.

Prev1
P3C0
38 posts Member
I just thought I'd share this little experience with everyone.

For the last 2 months, I have been focusing mainly on a Rebel team. I finally got to a level I thought that they would do ok in the arena. This team consists of: Ackbar (L), Luke, Biggs, Han and HRS. All 6 or 7 stars and 7 or 8 gear. Total 23,500 power. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting to get anywhere near number one. Anywhere below 200 would be fine.

2 days ago, I ran this team, made mincemeat of all 5 teams I fought and finished well within the top 200. However, overnight, I fell over 400 places to almost 600 with an inbox loaded with ally requests.

Yesterday I ran my old arena team (Phasma, Sid, Dooku etc at 22,000 power) and I dropped 50 places.

I find the Rebel team really fun to play with but it would appear that I was a target because I was different. I know that this team is not unique but I have never seen a Rebel team on my server or a team that massively differs to the usual Sid and Phasma teams.

I am not complaining about this. It is just a little warning to other players to expect similar 'Arena victimisation' should you choose to be different.

If anyone else runs a team that is not the norm, it would be interesting to hear your experiences.

Replies

• Options
    I attack unconventional teams, not because they are easy targets, but because they are different and I'm curious to see what they are like.
    I assume others share this sentiment and attack you for it.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • Options
    Yep, it sucks to get picked on because you tried to add some variety to Arena.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Olfbald
    106 posts Member
    Options
    I run a nightsister team on my alt account. Im amazed at how well they are doing. Granted, it's not a full nightsister team, I have swapped in GS instead of Nightsister Acolyte. I never drop above 100. Usually sit well around rank 50.

• LMYYYKS
    333 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't think others attack you because your team is different, but rather that your team is relatively easy compared to other mainstream meta.
    It is a good speed/TM team but AI never make use of that as good as you do. Ackbar has good debuff removal heal but without debuffs he can't really help the team much. So when your opponents (who are apparently not AIs) don't use debuffs you're as good as one player (more importantly, a healer) down right from the beginning.
    You may want to switch to another team when you fight the last battle of the day.
  • Options
    Use your rebel team in arena until reaching your final battle. Then change your squad with phasma team and leave it for the night.
  • Options
    Use your rebel team in arena until reaching your final battle. Then change your squad with phasma team and leave it for the night.

+1
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • P3C0
    38 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys. All valid points.

I would prefer not swapping teams as I would like to start seeing some variety in the arena. Granted, this would allow me to better hold arena position. Swapping the team back last night was simply a test.

I would attack a team if it gave me a break from Sid and the likes.
    Yep, it sucks to get picked on because you tried to add some variety to Arena.

This about sums it up. I guess a crustacean led farm boy just isn't that frightening.

@Olfbald were you targeted initially?
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Please don't. That would only help the problem stay. Everybody is tired of fighting Sids and Phasmas, so they focus unique teams. By switching to mainstream for the last battle, you will only discourage others from trying something different. We need as much unique teams as possible, the more of them will be there, the less will each individual be targeted.
  • Simda
    151 posts Member
    Options
    I put lando in and became a prime target at top 20. Still fun, we do this $$$T everyday anyways. No lost in exchange for fun.
  • Options
    I run full Nightsisters by the way, dropped down to 200 today from 70.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Luke6108
    370 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would attack that rebel team not because it is unique, but because it is easy to beat. If you have a team of AA/Leia/ST Han/HRS/Luke or rey or GS and you completely maxed it out, you will not be easy target. My server is not very established and RG is rarely seen. RG teams are considered as different as compared to majority of us but they are never easy targets.
  • Options
    I have run a Droid/go squad for a few months. Lately I got from around rank 10 to 50 overnight. They are terrible on defense, and seem to get picked on a lot. I would love to try a FO team or maybe ewok team, but to stay competitive I farmed sid dooku and phasma to 7* just to have them available.
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »

Please don't. That would only help the problem stay. Everybody is tired of fighting Sids and Phasmas, so they focus unique teams. By switching to mainstream for the last battle, you will only discourage others from trying something different. We need as much unique teams as possible, the more of them will be there, the less will each individual be targeted.

Why lose out on rankings just because someone might be discouraged? Way I see it, you're having fun winning with a unique/ different team, why does it matter if someone else sees a cookie cutter team once you've advanced as much as you want to/ can?

Unique teams will not happen because you are willing to give up 200 positions overnight. The game has to change fundamentally to promote diverse setups. Don't be a false martyr, win however you can and hold the best possible way the game allows. That's just common sense.
  • Ciel_6
    178 posts Member
    Options

Why lose out on rankings just because someone might be discouraged? Way I see it, you're having fun winning with a unique/ different team, why does it matter if someone else sees a cookie cutter team once you've advanced as much as you want to/ can?

Unique teams will not happen because you are willing to give up 200 positions overnight. The game has to change fundamentally to promote diverse setups. Don't be a false martyr, win however you can and hold the best possible way the game allows. That's just common sense.

+1
  • Options
    I attack base on names of my enemy since every1 is running a dooku lead team..
  • Options
    Play unique teams. By this time of the game F2P maybe had the chance to get 2 full teams with a different combo (most will just have one). The ones who are always saying "this team is great, this one is the best" are just the whales.
    Of course they can test everything out, but if you watch e.g. Youtube-PackOpenings you realize many of them have ZERO clue about the game itself (while still spending hundreds of dollars).
    Just wait till the majority has a variety of heros and there will be more variety in the top places.
  • Options
    I love the guy with the clone squad on my shard (well Rex and Fives at least). Vago is his name and its fun to battle against and surprisingly hard to beat. But maybe that's just because my Rey isn't entirely maxed out yet. I target him every once in a while but to be honest I usually go for the lowest attackable number.
  • Olfbald
    106 posts Member
    Options
    P3C0 wrote: »

@Olfbald were you targeted initially?

Yes I was, initially. I'd like to hope by now everyone knows that my Nightsister team is OP and not to be touched, lol.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options

Unique teams get targeted because there is so few of them. With this mentality, the game will be the same Sidfest forever.
  • Options

Unique teams get targeted because there is so few of them. With this mentality, the game will be the same Sidfest forever.

Ok, best of luck of changing the mindset by sacrificing positions overnight. My mentality is to win and prosper in the game, yours is to change the game. Best of luck.
  • flaw3d
    32 posts Member
    Options
    Among the guys I play against my full Jedi team is out of the norm. I got rank #2, could have been #1 but I accidentally went for their Yoda first and not Rey :/ I haven't been pushed out of top 20 for 2 days. Kind of nice but I'm sure it is inevitable especially since I'll be on vacation soon...sorry if I'm mistaken and full Jedi teams are actually normal in the arena
  • Options
    Hey, thats almost the same team I run, except I use Lumi instead of HRS for now (though I am farming him). I have had very similar experiences - the moment I changed from a relatively commonplace Sid led team to Ackbar and the boys, I started getting targeted like mad and received three times as many ally requests. Take it as a compliment I guess - at least we stand out a bit. ..

Im like you though, it doesn't bother me too much as I've never been obsessed with being top ten or anything. I normally manage the 100-200 rank and that's fine by me. I do hope we start to see more variety soon though. It'd just be more fun if people felt like they could use characters they like rather than just the ten or so that are objectively good.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    flaw3d wrote: »
    Among the guys I play against my full Jedi team is out of the norm. I got rank #2, could have been #1 but I accidentally went for their Yoda first and not Rey :/ I haven't been pushed out of top 20 for 2 days. Kind of nice but I'm sure it is inevitable especially since I'll be on vacation soon...sorry if I'm mistaken and full Jedi teams are actually normal in the arena

They are actually pretty common on my server, although they are probably not a majority. I suspect that a lot of people (myself included) run them because they starred up Jedis for the Yoda event and don't want to lose out by redirecting effort to other teams. I have some other plans too, but they have to be delayed now with the level cap increase.
  • P3C0
    38 posts Member
    Options

Unique teams will not happen because you are willing to give up 200 positions overnight. The game has to change fundamentally to promote diverse setups.

I believe this is the case. Dropping several hundred places overnight would be off putting to a lot of people.

With characters limited at the beginning, I know I unlocked Sid etc as soon as they were avaliable. It wasn't until much later in the game that I am in a position to farm other characters.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    I attack unconventional teams, not because they are easy targets, but because they are different and I'm curious to see what they are like.
    I assume others share this sentiment and attack you for it.

Actually, I'm kinda the opposite. With the "standard" teams, I know what to expect, so I usually go after those. When I start seeing teams with Ewok Elder or a Lobot-lead droid team or Ackbar-lead with ST Han + Leia, I generally avoid them, as I don't even know what some their abilities are and how they synergize at higher levels.

I do see you point though - there is only one way to learn to beat those teams and that's to take them on.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Predian
    615 posts Member
    Options
    My Rex and Ima teams get picked on more than my Dooku and qgj teams do. I may start switching to a meta team to end the day.
  • RedSix
    92 posts Member
    Options
    I will keep my team the way I like it, meta or not. So yeah, in my shards sea of Dooku, I get dropped 50-100 ranks daily. Still dare to be different.
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    Options
    RedSix wrote: »
    I will keep my team the way I like it, meta or not. So yeah, in my shards sea of Dooku, I get dropped 50-100 ranks daily. Still dare to be different.

And for this we salute you. Do what you enjoy!! If you love the current "meta", then run it! IF not, find a group of 5 you do enjoy using daily, regardless of your position.
  • Jabberwocky
    1809 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    P3C0 wrote: »
    I just thought I'd share this little experience with everyone.

For the last 2 months, I have been focusing mainly on a Rebel team. I finally got to a level I thought that they would do ok in the arena. This team consists of: Ackbar (L), Luke, Biggs, Han and HRS. All 6 or 7 stars and 7 or 8 gear. Total 23,500 power. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting to get anywhere near number one. Anywhere below 200 would be fine.

2 days ago, I ran this team, made mincemeat of all 5 teams I fought and finished well within the top 200. However, overnight, I fell over 400 places to almost 600 with an inbox loaded with ally requests.

Yesterday I ran my old arena team (Phasma, Sid, Dooku etc at 22,000 power) and I dropped 50 places.

I find the Rebel team really fun to play with but it would appear that I was a target because I was different. I know that this team is not unique but I have never seen a Rebel team on my server or a team that massively differs to the usual Sid and Phasma teams.

I am not complaining about this. It is just a little warning to other players to expect similar 'Arena victimisation' should you choose to be different.

If anyone else runs a team that is not the norm, it would be interesting to hear your experiences.

There's a guy who consistently places top 10 on my server with an Akbar, Han, Hoth Scout team, (forget the other 2) and I'll take a Dooku team over that Rebel comp anyday and I say that having finished first the last 2 days a row on my hard launch server. I can beat them but I'd rather take someone else.

So don't give up, they are viable, and with the changes coming, may become even more of a threat.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Options
    As soon as I changed up my team, same thing happened. I got rocked every night 100-200 places. Then you put up a "cookie cutter" team and no one wants to touch you. It really sucks sometimes. If I put RG in the group, in my mind I assume the bright red attracts people to hit him. I cannot wait for this meta to change. When some toons get leader abilities that help the entire team, it causes people to not use many others a lot.