Executor Update re: Target Lock/Chaff

Am I missing something here? From today's update notes:
vfcpsbtq1fl3.png
However, according to Ebon Hawk's kit, ships with Chaff are immune from Target Lock.
aw62hct66zkl.png
This isn't resisting, evading or dispelling. They are immune to it. So where was the "issue"?

Replies

• Options
    24fxl7fpcy2b.jpeg
    The issue was on reinforcements. They were not having the TL permanently applied as they should have done.
  • Options
    The issue was on reinforcements. They were not having the TL permanently applied as they should have done.

Ok, so the first part of that is not being changed? The basic attacks aren't going to inflict Target Lock on anyone with Chaff? I still don't really see how the other part of that is any different though. If you are immune to Target Lock, then it shouldn't be inflicted on you...there's nothing there that says it would override immunity. It only says can't be dispelled, evaded or resisted. Being immune is none of those 3 things.
  • Options
    It’s all semantics.

Immunity effectively means they resist the attempt when a BH uses their basic. It might not say that, but that’s what’s happening.

The 20 TL payout Breach and Target Lock debuffs are not resistible, so chaff won’t prevent it being applied.
  • Options
    It’s all semantics.

Immunity effectively means they resist the attempt when a BH uses their basic. It might not say that, but that’s what’s happening.

The 20 TL payout Breach and Target Lock debuffs are not resistible, so chaff won’t prevent it being applied.

Gotcha. Glad this means it's not being changed on the basic. But I'd say it's a little more than semantics though when we have over 200 characters and over 50 ships, all with unique kits and dozens and dozens of various buffs and debuffs in the game. Ability descriptions should mean what they say and not be paraphrased descriptions. It's hard enough for players to keep track of what all these kits say without having to be aware of unstated meanings. That's not semantics, that's just plain laziness in terms of how it was written.
  • Options
    It’s all semantics.

Can the TIE Advanced inflict Target Lock through Chaff? Because his TL is not resistable and I don’t think he can.

Ok, so the first part of that is not being changed? The basic attacks aren't going to inflict Target Lock on anyone with Chaff? I still don't really see how the other part of that is any different though. If you are immune to Target Lock, then it shouldn't be inflicted on you...there's nothing there that says it would override immunity. It only says can't be dispelled, evaded or resisted. Being immune is none of those 3 things.

I think the problem was, reinforcements were technically being inflicted with TL + Breach at the same time as they were gaining Chaff + Breach Immunity in Executor mirrors. Breach was beating Breach Immunity but Target Lock wasn’t beating Chaff (or in other words, the Order of Operations was Inflict Breach -> Gain Chaff + Breach Immunity -> fail to Inflict TL due to Chaff). Now at least it’s consistent.
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    Typically special/locked debuff/buffs are normally not preventable
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    It’s all semantics.

Can the TIE Advanced inflict Target Lock through Chaff? Because his TL is not resistable and I don’t think he can.

I think the problem was, reinforcements were technically being inflicted with TL + Breach at the same time as they were gaining Chaff + Breach Immunity in Executor mirrors. Breach was beating Breach Immunity but Target Lock wasn’t beating Chaff (or in other words, the Order of Operations was Inflict Breach -> Gain Chaff + Breach Immunity -> fail to Inflict TL due to Chaff). Now at least it’s consistent.

The problem was someone decided to add the "target_lock" tag to the special target lock. This made chaff prevent it and allowed carth ship to cleanse it
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

SEE’s still immune to JKR’s Locked Mark or DR’s Locked Deathmark. GLs and Guarded units are still immune to SLKR’s Locked Stun. Locked Debuffs don’t imply that they’re not Preventable.

How that works for more “unique” Locked debuffs like Fracture or Isolate, I don’t know. Only character I can think of who’d be immune to them is Ult Rey, and I’ve never felt a need to Fracture an Ult Rey.

It’s all semantics.

The problem was someone decided to add the "target_lock" tag to the special target lock. This made chaff prevent it and allowed carth ship to cleanse it

… huh. Okay, maybe I’m wrong about OoA.

Still, it being labeled as “can’t be Prevented” would clear things up.
  • scuba
    14069 posts Member
    Options

SEE’s still immune to JKR’s Locked Mark or DR’s Locked Deathmark. GLs and Guarded units are still immune to SLKR’s Locked Stun. Locked Debuffs don’t imply that they’re not Preventable.

How that works for more “unique” Locked debuffs like Fracture or Isolate, I don’t know. Only character I can think of who’d be immune to them is Ult Rey, and I’ve never felt a need to Fracture an Ult Rey.

It’s all semantics.

… huh. Okay, maybe I’m wrong about OoA.

Still, it being labeled as “can’t be Prevented” would clear things up.

The one thing that they are consistent at is being inconsistent.

I had no issues with chaff blocking that target lock, because as you said it doesn't say it can't be prevented, and figured with the update that made that start happing they just forgot to put that in the notes. Then I saw carth ship dispelling it and looked further and saw what someone did.
  • Options
    I added in the bug forum but thought I'd ask here if anyone else noticed that Breach no longer dispells debuffs for Bounty Hunters under Executor. But it does seem to work fine for AI executor. (It was fixed for awhile but possibly regressed)
  • Options
    I didn’t notice that tonight in any of my 5 arena fights.

Can you remember the circumstances?
  • Options
    Specifically it was the opening turns and his Razorcrest would go after XB and do the swoop special and come up cleared of breach and mark. When my RC would go, mark would stay.
    Also, I've noticed that the AI often will stick both breach and mark with the mass assist (7* exec). My 6* exec will never stick breach (XanaduBlood basic) or mark (which is expected if XB doesn't stick breach). But there is also no "resisted" indicated that breach was even attempted.
    Maybe I'm just missing something in the walls of text though for all the specials, and uniques in play.
  • Options
    Ah, just reread abilities: Could be that the mass assist final level on the 7* executor dispels all tenacity up first. But I would have still expected to see a resist message. I'll try and hit 7* sooner!
  • TargetEadu
    1578 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    XB also isn’t guarunteed to apply Breach on his basic.
    Post edited by TargetEadu on
  • Options
    There is nothing in the text that suggests he doesn’t attempt to apply it every time.
  • Options
    “Inflict breach for 2 turns”. Unless somehow it is only connected to the 65% possible 2nd attack (which isn’t suggested by the description)
  • Options
    … huh. No, you’re right. I’m not sure why I thought that.

0/2 for this…
  • Options
    Quilin wrote: »
    Ah, just reread abilities: Could be that the mass assist final level on the 7* executor dispels all tenacity up first. But I would have still expected to see a resist message. I'll try and hit 7* sooner!

You’re probably onto something there - RC’s breach is resistible. If you’re trying it vs. a ship with tenacity up, your RC won’t apply breach so won’t cleanse. If their’s is trying it vs. a ship without tenacity up, it most likely will apply so they will cleanse.

If I were you I wouldn’t apply the mark on their RC until it has used its special.
  • Options
    I guess what confused me is that Hound's Tooth has no trouble applying Breach even though his description says "Can't be Evaded" and nothing about "Can't be resisted". So he sticks it and I expected others should stick it as well but seems to be a hidden part of his kit.
  • Options
    While RC is active, other BH allies inflict an irresistible Breach on using their Special abilities (regardless of whether it inflicted Breach at the start or not). But the RC itself doesn’t get that bonus.
  • Options
    Ah; that was the missing piece.
  • TargetEadu
    1578 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Third time’s the charm!
  • Options
    I do think this discussion is a good example of CG needing to clean up some kit descriptions. An awful lot of things say "can't be resisted" or "can't be evaded" but then....well in action those things end up being evaded or resisted which just makes players frustrated and confused.

When I read "can't be ___", I assume that it will always land. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption. Playing Executor in particular, there's a HUGE learning curve with that ship bc of all the little hidden aspects of the fleet. I think some slight wording changes, or broad explanation of the can't be resisted but can be evaded (or vice versa) would make those issues much less murky.
  • Options
    Am I missing something here? From today's update notes:
    vfcpsbtq1fl3.png
    However, according to Ebon Hawk's kit, ships with Chaff are immune from Target Lock.
    aw62hct66zkl.png
    This isn't resisting, evading or dispelling. They are immune to it. So where was the "issue"?

I had another thought for why this was a “bug” - Chaff must make it so that target lock can’t be “re-applied”, but they are still Target Locked. A good example of where this is significant is with Boba Fett’s ship - first special inflicts damage on target and all those with Target Lock - Chaff was previously dispelling the indispellable Target Lock, making it something that wouldn’t allow that attack to work properly. Now it should be hitting all ships because they all have Target Lock, even if they can’t have Target Lock re-applied and count towards the ult.