GAC Matching - Supposed to be fair or not?

GAC match making has always been my only real complaint with this game, but I'm trying to figure out their intent.
I've been told that we are supposed to be matched for competitive matches and that is why I see such weak rosters at the top of the division (current div 8) - they are winning all of their matches against other weak rosters and shouldn't have to compete against more developed characters because it wouldn't be fair.
But at the same time, after they specifically made changes to the game so that GLs cannot be defeated with nonGLs, I constantly get matched against players with 1 or 2 GLs while I have 0.
So which is it supposed to be? Either everyone should get matched against others of equal strength or everyone should have to compete against everyone.
My best guess here is that they protect those that buy the 85 package because it gives a lot of GP but no high level characters and it isn't good for business if you shell out $100 to start the game and then get stomped in big individual competition. So there are basically 2 classes within the division. Do they stop protecting these people at some division level or does it stay this way throughout?

Replies

• DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    People are matched based on their matchmaking GP*. Period.

If you have no GLs and are regularly matched against people with 1 or 2 GLs, then you’ve chosen to develop your roster in a way that leads to such matchups. The “weak” rosters you say are leading your GAC division have developed their rosters in a more considerate manner, and are likely never drawn against either 1 or 2 GL owners.

All the subsequent talk about money is just your confirmation bias / persecution complex talking.

* take the number of teams per squad, multiply it by the number of defence squads you need to set, then double it. That’s your matchmaking GP.
  • Options
    Regarding my post, I was told here before by the experts that run it that however matchmaking was done, it was to make the match competitive so that each side had an even chance to win. I don't like that, but if that is the way they want to do it, then it logically follows that we should not be matched against a roster with characters for which the game has been specifically reprogrammed to be unbeatable without characters we don't have.

Regarding subsequent talk: Confirmation bias? Persecution complex? That is your using big words you don't understand.
  • Options
    shaun51422 wrote: »
    Regarding my post, I was told here before by the experts that run it that however matchmaking was done, it was to make the match competitive so that each side had an even chance to win.
    And who would these experts be?
    I don't like that, but if that is the way they want to do it, then it logically follows that we should not be matched against a roster with characters for which the game has been specifically reprogrammed to be unbeatable without characters we don't have.
    No. This is a roster & resource management game. You are matched against rosters built with a comparable amount of resources. If your opponent made a better job of allocating their resources and building their roster then they have an advantage. Whether they can capitalize on that advantage depends on match strategy and execution.
  • Options
    Regarding my post, I was told here before by the experts that run it that however matchmaking was done, it was to make the match competitive so that each side had an even chance to win. I don't like that, but if that is the way they want to do it, then it logically follows that we should not be matched against a roster with characters for which the game has been specifically reprogrammed to be unbeatable without characters we don't have.

Regarding subsequent talk: Confirmation bias? Persecution complex? That is your using big words you don't understand.
    I understand those words perfectly well, thank you.

Matchmaking sees rosters created with a similar amount of resources drawn against each other. Period. How players have chosen to use those resources will impact on their chances of winning.

Again, all your talk about protecting the Hyperdrive bundle players and creating 2 classes of players within each division is just your own paranoia. If you are regularly matched with players who have 1 or 2 GLs whilst you have none, it’s because of how you have built your roster - not because of some secret conspiracy aimed at people who don’t spend money.

Would you be prepared to share your ally code / Swgoh.gg profile? Perhaps the community could help identify why you are getting these matchups?
  • Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Regarding my post, I was told here before by the experts that run it that however matchmaking was done, it was to make the match competitive so that each side had an even chance to win.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/237355/crap-teams-winning-gac-divisions-needs-to-stop/p1

"The purpose of matching players also by matchmaking GP instead of matching by division and league only is to create more even matches. I would prefer those even matches any day - even if it means that sometimes the top ranking players aren't necessarily the players with the strongest rosters. I'd rather have 12 relatively even matches in a season than have 12 matches where the outcome is predictable."
    I don't like that, but if that is the way they want to do it, then it logically follows that we should not be matched against a roster with characters for which the game has been specifically reprogrammed to be unbeatable without characters we don't have.
    No. This is a roster & resource management game. You are matched against rosters built with a comparable amount of resources. If your opponent made a better job of allocating their resources and building their roster then they have an advantage. Whether they can capitalize on that advantage depends on match strategy and execution.

But hasn't everyone within a GP range used a comparable amount of resources? GP is basically the sum of resources spent.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/237355/crap-teams-winning-gac-divisions-needs-to-stop/p1

"The purpose of matching players also by matchmaking GP instead of matching by division and league only is to create more even matches. I would prefer those even matches any day - even if it means that sometimes the top ranking players aren't necessarily the players with the strongest rosters. I'd rather have 12 relatively even matches in a season than have 12 matches where the outcome is predictable."

But hasn't everyone within a GP range used a comparable amount of resources? GP is basically the sum of resources spent.

Yes, more or less. Which is Rath's point:
    [...] You are matched against rosters built with a comparable amount of resources.

You're matched by the GP of the relevant (/top) part of your roster, which is pretty close to the GP of the part of your roster which you actually use.

• Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Post edited by Starslayer on
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

[...] You are matched against rosters built with a comparable amount of resources.

You're matched by the GP of the relevant (/top) part of your roster, which is pretty close to the GP of the part of your roster which you actually use.

I see I didn't do a very good (it was bad) job of breaking up that quote, but you responded so I guess Rath picked up who these experts would be. lol. But if this all seems right to you guys then I guess that answers my question - if the matchmaking was done to make competitive matches before, then that is no longer a consideration. I can't understand a system that favors those that would be an extreme underdog against most of the competition in the "division" to finish at the top because they only compete against others that are in the same situation. I would think that if anything it would favor those that have acquired the GLs.
  • Options

I see I didn't do a very good (it was bad) job of breaking up that quote, but you responded so I guess Rath picked up who these experts would be. lol. But if this all seems right to you guys then I guess that answers my question - if the matchmaking was done to make competitive matches before, then that is no longer a consideration. I can't understand a system that favors those that would be an extreme underdog against most of the competition in the "division" to finish at the top because they only compete against others that are in the same situation. I would think that if anything it would favor those that have acquired the GLs.
    The lowest GP rosters in a division are not matches against the highest GP rosters in that division for the same reason that a division 11 roster is not matched against a division 1 roster.

Rosters are matched with others of comparable matchmaking GP so that the players' respective skills in roster management, match strategy and combat tactics determine the outcome.

The lowest GP roster in a division is no less worthy of securing the top spot than the highest GP roster in that division. In either case the winning player has consistently beaten opponents with rosters of comparable resource investment to their own and claimed most if not all of the available feats in the process.
  • Options

The lowest GP rosters in a division are not matches against the highest GP rosters in that division for the same reason that a division 11 roster is not matched against a division 1 roster.

Rosters are matched with others of comparable matchmaking GP so that the players' respective skills in roster management, match strategy and combat tactics determine the outcome.

The lowest GP roster in a division is no less worthy of securing the top spot than the highest GP roster in that division. In either case the winning player has consistently beaten opponents with rosters of comparable resource investment to their own and claimed most if not all of the available feats in the process.

High or Low GP within the division doesn't effect matchmaking much. I know this because the same teams not playing the best competition in my current division would have no better chance vs the best competition in the previous division.

I would have to disagree that roster management is a factor in outcome. Unless you are considering managing a roster in such a way as to avoid the best competition a "skill".

But like I said, I got the answer to my question. "The purpose of having even matches" is the reason I was given before, so with the change to GLs to make them unbeatable I was hoping that was correct and still the case. If it was, then I would not still be getting matched vs the GLs constantly and my matches might be competitive, challenging, and fun
  • Options
    Could you share your ally code @shaun51422 ?

Roster management is definitely a factor that contributes to the outcome of a GAC match.
  • Options
    I've been told that we are supposed to be matched for competitive matches and that is why I see such weak rosters at the top of the division (current div 8) - they are winning all of their matches against other weak rosters and shouldn't have to compete against more developed characters because it wouldn't be fair.

But at the same time, after they specifically made changes to the game so that GLs cannot be defeated with nonGLs, I constantly get matched against players with 1 or 2 GLs while I have 0.
    So which is it supposed to be? Either everyone should get matched against others of equal strength or everyone should have to compete against everyone.

Matchmaking in both GAC and TW is not made for competitive matches. While some people thought they would change things after nerfing the non-GL counters to GLs, they did not do so. They do not take GLs into account in either case. Some of the changes they made in TW appear to have made the matches even worse than before.

Once you have gone in one direction for your roster and are matched against players with 1 or 2 GLs while you have 0, you are stuck with "bad matches" for the most part in GAC. When you have 1 GL you will find yourself to be matched against players with 2 or 3. When you have 2 GLs, you will be matched against players with 3 or 4 GLs. Unless they stop coming out with GLs there is no really way to even up. Since GLs came out there are some players who just devoted their roster to the GL requirements. They will have an advantage in GAC, but they will be at a disadvantage in other aspects of the game.

Now it is possible to win a GAC match when you are at a GL disadvantage, but it isn't easy and the other player has to make some critical mistakes.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    [...]

I would have to disagree that roster management is a factor in outcome. Unless you are considering managing a roster in such a way as to avoid the best competition a "skill".
    [...]

And how did your strongest competitors become the strongest? That's right - skillful roster management.

• Options
    OP- because you clearly don’t want hear an opinion other that your own, I’ll just tell you what you want to hear (even though it’s wrong). GAC matchmaking is not meant to be fair. It’s meant to make you unhappy because you didn’t do exactly what CG wanted. In fact, because you posted this they are going to match you with people that have 3-4 GLs now. Good Luck!!!
    3v3 FTW
  • nottenst
    697 posts Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Now despite my wanting the number of GLs to be taken into account when doing the matchmaking, I did just now face someone with JML, JMK, Rey, SEE and Executor while I had JML, SLKR and Executor. He only placed Rey on defense along with some very strong other squads. He dismantled my squads very easily (and had a 41 banner lead among squad battles alone). I managed to clear his squads and defeated his Executor, though it took two attempts. He, though, was unable to defeat my Executor in two attacks and so I won 2916 to 2668. So, a win at a GL deficit can happen, but it is not easy and is rare in my experience.