[Developer Insights - Kit Reveal
Hi Holotable Heroes,
Dash Rendar is coming to the holotables! The beloved train-hopping, shoulder-pad adorned hero of legendary lore is ready to lead a motley crew of Scoundrels into the Grand Arena gauntlet!
Below, we take a deep dive into the developers’ motivations and inspirations while creating the kit for this fan-favorite Shadows of the Empire character.
- Light Side, Support, Leader, Scoundrel
- Dash Rendar plays a key role in the “Prepared” Scoundrel squad, as he helps lift the faction to a new level (especially in Grand Arena once his Omicron is applied).
- His Leader ability, “Prepared for Anything,” gives bonuses to all Prepared Scoundrel allies.
- Dash speeds up a Scoundrel team via his Unique ability, “Hotshot,” which grants Turn Meter to Prepared allies when they land a Critical hit.
- This means Dash’s Special ability “Seeker Missiles” - which hits three times - gains Turn Meter for each Critical hit if he has Prepared. Speedy!
- Having Dash Rendar as leader allows Scoundrel allies to enter the battle with the Prepared effect, rather than having to wait to earn it.
- Even Scoundrels who do not interact with the Prepared mechanic will receive Prepared and gain the bonuses Dash gives them based on their Role.
- Dash’s Grand Arena mode-specific Omicron ability enables allies who lose Prepared to regain it immediately. This helps a Dash Rendar-led Scoundrel squad increase their power level to be similar to a Hero’s Journey or Epic Confrontation-level character in this game mode.
- Shoulder Pads! Er, 19-96 Kinetic Absorption Panels, to be more exact.
- We’re celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Lucasfilm with characters from across the history of the franchise. Dash Rendar was the first character we wanted to do in celebration of that.
- Dash Rendar is the protagonist to 1996’s Shadows of the Empire, a multimedia story from Lucasfilm that included a soundtrack, novel, toys, and a video game on the Nintendo64.
- Dash’s abilities “Stop Right There!” and “Seeker Missiles” are drawn from his abilities in the Shadows of the Empire game.
- One of his most memorable moments in the game was hopping train cars on Ord Mantell to reach IG-88. We very much wanted to pay homage to this level with a new type of environment debuting in his Marquee event (in the Bonus and Legacy Tiers)
- Under a Dash rendar lead, Young Lando Calrissian, Young Han Solo, Vandor Chewbacca, L3-37, Qi'ra all receive additional bonuses when Prepared.
- Bonuses enhance their skills. They also receive Critical Damage and Offense when they gain Prepared. So, it’s evident that losing and gaining Prepared is part of the...plan.
- Dash, as his name indicates, wants to be a very speedy character. Try modding him with that in mind.
- In Grand Arena, having Dash’s allies beginning the battle Prepared, means enemies have to focus on Vandor Chewie from the get-go.
- Who is Dash Rendar?
- In Legends, Dash Rendar is a mercenary who helped out the Rebellion when Han Solo was trapped in carbonite (the time between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).
- His Marquee has a Legacy tier, what is that?
- The Legacy tier is a tier on the Marquee past the Bonus tier meant to reward players who have put immediate investment into these 50th Anniversary units. For Dash’s Marquee you will need him at Five-stars to play the Legacy tier.
- What investment level does Dash Rendar need to be at in order to play the Starkiller event?
- You will need all of the 50th Anniversary marquee units at Relic 5. The Starkiller event is permanent once it begins.