Arena team vs GW difficulty

Do you find it helpful to amp up your arena team right away as much as you can, or tweak it so that your team power doesn't make GW go overboard?
Recently when my Rey got to 7*, I took out my Lumi (she is my highest powered toon) to replace with 6* Daka to keep my GW from going crazy with this level cap raise.
Now, today I have the chance to 7* QGJ, but before I do I may tinker with the squad before actually starring him.
Does anyone else do this? I try to stay within 150-299 in arena and keep my squad evenly powered and slowly grow them to avoid major issues with GW matchmaking. In my head it helps, but not sure exactly how tied to GW it is. Perhaps I am just making Arena harder for myself for no reason! Perhaps there is another aspect I have not thought of.

Replies

• pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    I've heard running a weaker arena team to lighten up GW, but has anyone actually confirmed it?
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    I do it. It's not entirely intentional just because my FO Arena team (24,044) is very hard to star up (FOTP, FOST I'm looking at you), so my GW Frankenteam (24,171) has been keeping pace. I'm slowly, steadily climbing up the Arena ladder and completing GW on the daily. So far, every power level threshold that I've been worried about breaking has not caused me any problems in GW, maybe because my two teams are so close in power.
  • Options
    @pac0naut
    I have heard it is linked to Arena power and not rank, but not sure if every little power you add on affects you - or say, if it goes up by increments 23,000/24,000/25,000 ect.
    I find this evens me out so I try to level up a group and not get a toon or two way farther ahead than some of my others. Helps with the low resources, spreading it out (the love).
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Options
    They've made several adjustments since the devs originally made that statement about it being lInked to power of arena team at highest victory. No one really knows how the teams are chosen now. I've been steadily increasing my arena team power without noticing any appreciable difference in difficulty in gw.
    I run in Arena:
    Dooku(l)
    Daka
    Lumi
    Sid
    Rey
    Only daka and Rey are at 6 stars. Everything else is maxed out at lvl 71. I usually payout in the 20s On my server.
  • Options
    Ahh nice, right now I have Dooku(L) Daka Anakin Rey QGJ (everyone 6* except Rey, but I want to get QGJ up without making too many waves) but I hate Dooku. When replacing Lumi though, he was the similar choice with lower power. I want to get STH in there but only have him 4* level 55 at the moment. Every time I put RG in (6*), I somehow get crushed in the rankings more than usual. I think because he/she is red and catches your eye.
  • Options
    ChefHaze wrote: »
    They've made several adjustments since the devs originally made that statement about it being lInked to power of arena team at highest victory. No one really knows how the teams are chosen now. I've been steadily increasing my arena team power without noticing any appreciable difference in difficulty in gw.
    That's my observation as well. Though I worked pretty hard on a bunch of non- arena toons that I do use in GW lately so even if it did get a bit harder I may not have noticed.
  • Options
    Do you find it helpful to amp up your arena team right away as much as you can, or tweak it so that your team power doesn't make GW go overboard?
    Recently when my Rey got to 7*, I took out my Lumi (she is my highest powered toon) to replace with 6* Daka to keep my GW from going crazy with this level cap raise.

Not sure where you get this info but GW is based on PLAYER level not toon level.. its balanced to keep you in line so you can't sand bag with an easier team and win on GW... Doesn't matter if you replace DJ or Daka or 7* with 6* you will get the same level players as your player level... a couple more weeks expect to get hammered by 76 and 77's when you are still on 73...
  • Options
    pac0naut wrote: »
    I've heard running a weaker arena team to lighten up GW, but has anyone actually confirmed it?

Arena and GW are not linked. Arena is power, GW is a slow progression from easy to hard, but it is meant to be challenging based on your player level.
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Options
    Ahh nice, right now I have Dooku(L) Daka Anakin Rey QGJ (everyone 6* except Rey, but I want to get QGJ up without making too many waves) but I hate Dooku. When replacing Lumi though, he was the similar choice with lower power. I want to get STH in there but only have him 4* level 55 at the moment. Every time I put RG in (6*), I somehow get crushed in the rankings more than usual. I think because he/she is red and catches your eye.

i had originally stared up dooku as part of my full sith team. I only have a 4 star maul and 5 star Vader but the other 3 are maxed out.
    For a long time I ran a phasma lead, but when everyone went qgj, I couldn't keep up. Then once they fixed dookus lead, I threw him in and I stopped sliding back as much. I always hated following the trends, I haven't worked on gs or qgj or the droids.
    I always thought they were kind of boring.
    We'll just have to wait and see how the future re-tool will change things, but I'll just roll with it.

As for gw. I have a solid team. That's probably why I don't find it any more difficult. I usually run a sImilar squad;
    Dooku(l)
    LUmi
    Jc
    Rey
    Sid

But if 1 character dies, I'll retreat and swap someone out. trade one or 2 of the above with bariss, daka, or phasma. Sometimes I'll have to retreat once or twice to get the grand goal of finishing the battle with full health and no cool downs. But healers are the gw gold.
  • Options
    Jedi_Yoda wrote: »

Not sure where you get this info but GW is based on PLAYER level not toon level.. its balanced to keep you in line so you can't sand bag with an easier team and win on GW... Doesn't matter if you replace DJ or Daka or 7* with 6* you will get the same level players as your player level... a couple more weeks expect to get hammered by 76 and 77's when you are still on 73...
    Hmm I just kind of assumed it was a mixture of things so I tried to raise 7-10 toons evenly. This might change my strategy though- Thanks!
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Don't believe what people claim. The reason why they not able to finish GW because they didnt tried their best. First you have to think wisely who going be your GW roster team. And you should always retreat if one of your heroes get killed. You have to get the best "scenario" match outcome. Try play around to see which enemy you going to attack first. Try get the best outcome, avoid get KIA. Especially this game affect by RNG so the outcome will affect your match result.

• Darth_Noctambulo
    272 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this really helps. There was a lot going around about "arena power affecting GW" or "power at highest arena finish" or just my thought that it was a math problem with your top 10 toons... but yesterday I decided to give it a go. I put my saved resources into my big people.
    Arena is now 25K+ (was 24,424) and today I cannot really tell a difference in GW. It varies so it is always up and down, but I have also never lost and this just made it easier. My Arena team can now live free of GW thoughts.
    I love varying up my GW team, using my low level Maul/Aayla/STH to start off (always have Lumi or Barriss lead, that heal works wonders when you leave a tank or healer last on their team), then when things get tough move on up. Anakin is Arena only for me since his special shining moments requires a death, and in GW I try not to let anyone die. It happens but not the point in that table.
  • Options
    I can confirm that arena rank now has impact on GW.
    Because after the patch I was using the same squad with same power, and climbed up the rank into top 20.

The next day my GW went significantly harder.

Anyway, I've stalled my squad power for some time, until I felt comfortable to move on.
    For example, having farmed enough on GW and having enough credits.

Right now I'm still able to beat GW everyday on multiple retreats and retry