GAC Crystal Income and Competition

Frankto
20 posts Member
edited December 2021
I have a funny feeling that nobody who reads this is going to care, and that's too bad. This is a rant. Anyway...

I will start by saying I am very fortunate. I've been in very good guilds for a long while, and I was fortunate enough to take 1st place in arena every day from November 2020 to December 2021. My account is roughly 20 months old, I have 4.2M GP, Executor and JMK/CAT. I am a light spender, most months I spend nothing and very rarely more than ten dollars, and absolutely all of my crystal income comes from GAC, Fleet Arena and TB, with the occasional event chipping in.

I've always loved Grand Arena, because it meant I could use the full breadth of my roster despite the limitations put on me by Squad Arena and my guild, both areas where I have to punch far out of my weight class. This made GAC an interesting and continuously new challenge, because I could never really afford to develop a roster that was well suited for it and keep up with the meta and pull my weight in Territory Battle and pull my weight in Territory War.

But now I have to win. My crystal income has been reduced by almost 100,000 a year even if I win all my matches. There is no alternative anymore but to be an absolute **** to my opponents.

Step 1: Make sure my opponent has absolutely no chance to compete and take my crystals away from me.
Step 2: Do the absolute most I can with the restrictions that puts on my attack roster, and wait.

This is not fun for my opponents, and it isn't fun for me. When I lose, and I will, it will be because someone does the same thing to me, and is in a position to do it better than I can... because why wouldn't you? Crystals are the single most valuable commodity in the game, and this is one of the two places you can reliably get them anymore.

Why would you take the chance? Your game might crash. You might be having a bad day. Best not let your opponent enjoy their time, and make absolutely sure they lose if you can. I shudder to think how much worse it will be when matchmaking actually kicks in.

Just in case.

Who needs to have fun anyway, right?

Am I working for my crystals, or am I playing for them? You tell me. This hasn't been very much fun so far.

Replies

• Options
    You get passive crystals from not lifting a finger, but you do gotta put in some effort to beat an opponent to get more.

Initially you’re matched solely off GP, then when enough battles have passed you’ll be matchmade based on your skill rating.

I don’t get the argument that you have to be anything to your opponents. Better roster? You’ll win. Better use of teams to maximize banners? You’ll win.
  • Options
    You get passive crystals from not lifting a finger, but you do gotta put in some effort to beat an opponent to get more.

Initially you’re matched solely off GP, then when enough battles have passed you’ll be matchmade based on your skill rating.

I don’t get the argument that you have to be anything to your opponents. Better roster? You’ll win. Better use of teams to maximize banners? You’ll win.

The problem has nothing to do with "having to lift a finger." It's the overwhelming incentive to remove any chance your opponent can compete given any opportunity to do so. Unless a match is completely equal, and they never are, there is always an opportunity to do so. The lower GP you go, the more pronounced the problem becomes.

GAC has never been about just winning for me. I was always able to do just fine on my own, and I got to win and have fun. Now I just get to win, because what it takes for me to guarantee that I'll win also guarantees that I can't have fun doing it. Crystals > Fun.

This is a feedback forum, so I'm giving feedback.