Grand Arena Championships - Matchmaking

13Next

Replies

• Options
    I think this new version of GAC is better, but the problem I have with it is the executor is probably the number 1 factor in who wins a match. If you clear your opponent's executor more efficiently than he clears yours, you win.

Ships is still worth too much and that one zone, I am betting, determines far more matches than how many GL's players have.
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    I think this new version of GAC is better, but the problem I have with it is the executor is probably the number 1 factor in who wins a match. If you clear your opponent's executor more efficiently than he clears yours, you win.

Ships is still worth too much and that one zone, I am betting, determines far more matches than how many GL's players have.

Tbf, it’s like this since the executor hit the table. She’s the main reason why i did so well in gac since august. The new mm is also why the executor party is over now. Before that most players my gp range didn’t have the big girl, so i basically just had to put it in defense and enjoy the victory. Now that i went up the ladder, executor is the norm.
  • Options
    Shawkat wrote: »
    Please stop defending the new matchmaking system that is based on a "skill". What kind of skill is required to win if you outmatch your opponent by two or more GLs? Screw the daily rewards. Way to take fun out of another game mode in the game.

Meh. I'm 5-1 this GAC against opponents with 2 more GLs than me. So people could make an actual effort to outplay their opponent or they can just throw in the towel from the start. But, if they choose the latter, that's on them. Eventually they'll start getting matched up with bad players and people with bad rosters. It was made very clear from the start that it would take probably 2 full GACs for the matchmaking to settle.

I would like to see the actual matches, instead of bragging about beating someone with 2 more GLs then you, because they were either a no show, they went with poor defense or they had absolutely no idea how to play the game. So please attach a screenshot or it did not happen. Of course you can win on banners if the opponent doesn't set a proper defense, but if you get outmatched by let's say 2 GLS which you don't have counters to, because CG got rid of the most non-GL ones, your chances of winning are so super low because the math doesn't work. And if the opposite site has just slightly knowledge of pvp, I would love to see your skill against that. I never threw in a towel in. GAC is my favourite mode of the game and you can check my legacy score if you think I suck at it - and no it was not all feats, because I ignored most of them. I love the challenge in pvp- that is the most exiting thing about pvp. I have had great matches in the previous GAC mode. Most of the against better rosters and even tho I lost it felt good because I knew the mistakes I made or I did everything I could to win. The matchmaking was not perfect, but I never felt that the opposite site was unbeatable. Since the new GAC, I never got a win that was satisfying, because either the opposite site was not on pair with me or the difference in rosters was just too much to get the chance to win if the other site shows up. I wanna believe the matchmaking will settle down, but I would take the crappy rewards from the old GAC and have fun again, then this.
  • Options
    8.1m and moaning lmao
    CG said they re-did the matchmaking in the GAC and I am having a really hard time believing that. I am just over 8.1 million GP and I have 4 GL's at R7. In Round 1 of this current GAC my opponent was just shy of 9 million GP with all 6 GL's at R8. I won because my opponent did not set defense, so the AI set auto-defense and I was able to clear. In Round 2 my opponent has 8.3 million GP, all 6 GL's, with JML at R9 and the rest at R8. This is not improved matchmaking, it's hot garbage.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Please stop defending the new matchmaking system that is based on a "skill". What kind of skill is required to win if you outmatch your opponent by two or more GLs? Screw the daily rewards. Way to take fun out of another game mode in the game.

Meh. I'm 5-1 this GAC against opponents with 2 more GLs than me. So people could make an actual effort to outplay their opponent or they can just throw in the towel from the start. But, if they choose the latter, that's on them. Eventually they'll start getting matched up with bad players and people with bad rosters. It was made very clear from the start that it would take probably 2 full GACs for the matchmaking to settle.

I would like to see the actual matches, instead of bragging about beating someone with 2 more GLs then you, because they were either a no show, they went with poor defense or they had absolutely no idea how to play the game. So please attach a screenshot or it did not happen. [...]

It took me 5 seconds to Google their account on swgoh.gg (I'm pretty sure it's their's).

• Options
    Waqui wrote: »

I would like to see the actual matches, instead of bragging about beating someone with 2 more GLs then you, because they were either a no show, they went with poor defense or they had absolutely no idea how to play the game. So please attach a screenshot or it did not happen. [...]

It took me 5 seconds to Google their account on swgoh.gg (I'm pretty sure it's their's).

I think this person is maybe still stuck in the mindset of prior GAC, where banners were important to get to Kyber. I find it much more interesting now as actual defensive strategies come into play since there's no carry over from week to week. If it is the same person, I found bringing the 7 star Executor against the four star to be an odd strategy in week 2 of last round. While not a sure thing, the Mal counter is reasonably reliable against a 4-star. Also, looks like the trouble was with LV and not having developed the JML counter yet.

I mean, I get it - the world changed, but for every person complaining about being out GL'd (and I readily admit to being one of them), there are many others who overcome the roster differential by exploiting weaknesses and playing to strengths. Also, the end game of continuously winning is that you are eventually going to get into a bracket where you lose more than you win, except for that hand full of players at the tip of the spear.

"There's always a bigger fish"
  • Shawkat
    22 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    This whole thing makes me smile. I never complained to be outmatched in the prior GAC, and it was a pretty common thing. It was always a challenge and I've been exploiting weaknesses and strengths of the opponents since the beginning of GAC and when swgoh.gg became a thing. I never gave up and fought till the last bit, when I knew the win was possible. Yes, this new GAC makes me bitter. Watching Ahanld's stream where the top of the peak is fighting against each other, I found it silly that it comes all down to Executor battles. That is another of CG's flop and I wonder if they ever do something with it.
  • Options
    Also, the end game of continuously winning is that you are eventually going to get into a bracket where you lose more than you win, except for that hand full of players at the tip of the spear.

Well, I had been going 2-1 in each of the weekly rounds until the last one. This last week I was up against 3 players that used to be Kyber 1 and I lost all 3, though the third was relatively close. I am very curious to see the GAC history as I would like to know what counters they used vs my Executor. Looking at their fleet and what they put on defense, I didn't think they had a chance of defeating it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Waqui wrote: »

I think this person is maybe still stuck in the mindset of prior GAC, where banners were important to get to Kyber. I find it much more interesting now as actual defensive strategies come into play since there's no carry over from week to week. If it is the same person, I found bringing the 7 star Executor against the four star to be an odd strategy in week 2 of last round. While not a sure thing, the Mal counter is reasonably reliable against a 4-star. Also, looks like the trouble was with LV and not having developed the JML counter yet.

I mean, I get it - the world changed, but for every person complaining about being out GL'd (and I readily admit to being one of them), there are many others who overcome the roster differential by exploiting weaknesses and playing to strengths. Also, the end game of continuously winning is that you are eventually going to get into a bracket where you lose more than you win, except for that hand full of players at the tip of the spear.

OK?
  • Options

I would like to see the actual matches, instead of bragging about beating someone with 2 more GLs then you, because they were either a no show, they went with poor defense or they had absolutely no idea how to play the game. So please attach a screenshot or it did not happen. Of course you can win on banners if the opponent doesn't set a proper defense, but if you get outmatched by let's say 2 GLS which you don't have counters to, because CG got rid of the most non-GL ones, your chances of winning are so super low because the math doesn't work. And if the opposite site has just slightly knowledge of pvp, I would love to see your skill against that. I never threw in a towel in. GAC is my favourite mode of the game and you can check my legacy score if you think I suck at it - and no it was not all feats, because I ignored most of them. I love the challenge in pvp- that is the most exiting thing about pvp. I have had great matches in the previous GAC mode. Most of the against better rosters and even tho I lost it felt good because I knew the mistakes I made or I did everything I could to win. The matchmaking was not perfect, but I never felt that the opposite site was unbeatable. Since the new GAC, I never got a win that was satisfying, because either the opposite site was not on pair with me or the difference in rosters was just too much to get the chance to win if the other site shows up. I wanna believe the matchmaking will settle down, but I would take the crappy rewards from the old GAC and have fun again, then this.

Now that the first event is over, I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a lot to be honest. I went 10-2 and (with a few exceptions) most of my matches could have gone either way. Most of my opponents had either JMK and/or LV, both of which I don't have, some had more GLs than me, and lots had a 7* Executor, which I also don't have. Yet, almost all of my matches were interesting because I knew I could beat almost all of them with superior skill. Most people aren't that great at GAC so often you can overcome roster disadvantages with good strategy. As someone with a great legacy score I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Obviously if you play a very skilled player that also has a better roster, your chances of winning are slim, but punching up a 2+GL disadvantage is honestly not as impossible as some make it out to be, as many opponents won't make proper use of that advantage.
  • Options

Now that the first event is over, I have to say that I enjoyed it quite a lot to be honest. I went 10-2 and (with a few exceptions) most of my matches could have gone either way. Most of my opponents had either JMK and/or LV, both of which I don't have, some had more GLs than me, and lots had a 7* Executor, which I also don't have. Yet, almost all of my matches were interesting because I knew I could beat almost all of them with superior skill. Most people aren't that great at GAC so often you can overcome roster disadvantages with good strategy. As someone with a great legacy score I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Obviously if you play a very skilled player that also has a better roster, your chances of winning are slim, but punching up a 2+GL disadvantage is honestly not as impossible as some make it out to be, as many opponents won't make proper use of that advantage.

For me in Aurodium 1, what you wrote is very accurate. While I have not faced an opponent without a GL, I have faced 4 that out-GL me with +1. I think I beat all of them. Their rosters looked P2P with substantially underdeveloped mod depth, and they had difficulty clearing decent defense teams in 1 battle. I think I am 2 out of 3 for each week of the new GAC. The ones I lose to are people that made less mistakes and it was my match to lose.
  • Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    Personally it feels to me that a Bayesian system would tend to stagnation over time - as the more predictable outcomes assign less movement up or down the ladder
    This comment struck a cord with me as I was just checking out my skill rating on .GG and I noticed the amount of increase/decrease was decreasing by 1 point each round (+41, +40, -39, +38, etc.). I imagine there will be a minimum amount at some point.

• Options

as many opponents won't make proper use of that advantage.

Yep, that's me. Good thing I'm good at building a proper roster, because I suck at using it.