Range trooper...soldado a distancia???? WTH

Prev1
kakaka_wakaka
140 posts Member
edited December 2021
LoOOOOOL
Just noticed the worst translation ever in SWGOH

Range trooper in spanish is soldado a distancia?
What he's remote controlled?
Does he fight via ZOOM?
He's got COVID and he's quarantined?

In my guild we call him zapatones for the big shoes he wears....thats a better fit

Hahahahhaha happy new year everyone

CG....please go spend some of that cash on decent translations....funky morunos

PD no need to spend chas just research Wikipedia, lazy ****....
https://starwars.fandom.com/es/wiki/Soldado_de_frontera
This translates more like border troopers....definately better that remote troopers...jeez
Que la Fuerza os acompañe!

Kakaka

Telegram @Kakakawakaka
https://swgoh.gg/u/kakakawakaka/
Código aliado 192-195-873
https://swgoh.gg/g/516/global-elite-games/

Replies

• Options
    Sounds like whoever did the translations thought «ranger» has something to do with distance.
  • Options
    I’d love to see some other CG Spanish translations:

Soldado rigida - For Death Trooper?
    Soldado caliente- for Magma trooper….
  • Options
    At least in french they didn't try to translate it :D
  • LendersQuiz
    1169 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Wed_Santa wrote: »
    I’d love to see some other CG Spanish translations:
    Soldado rigida - For Death Trooper?

That means Rigid "Trooper".
    After a body dies, it can go into rigor mortis (postmortem rigidity), so I guess that works?
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    In german it's "Distanztruppler" which translates to "Distance Trooper". So what exactly is a "Range Trooper" if not one that fights on distance aka range?
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Crayons
    565 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It’s a weird name. Most real army’s just call them snipers, and they all have a word for that.

Sniper
    Francotiradores
    Scharfschützen
    Tireurs d'élite
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    funky morunos was my first college band’s name
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    In Italian they translated “soldato a lungo raggio”, similar to Spanish and… actually without a concrete sense in Italian 😂

Recently they also made a horrible grammar error translating Darth Talon unique:
    “La prima volta che il leader venga sconfitto” means that the leader is defeated, not that the leader would be defeated.
    Correct translation is “La prima volta che il leader verrebbe sconfitto”.

PS: I noticed this wide use of “they” for singular subject … politically correct will kill us zzryc5h8c4fz.png
    ydj0fd0gm6ka.png
    🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    Options
    Crayons wrote: »
    It’s a weird name. Most real army’s just call them snipers, and they all have a word for that.

Sniper
    Francotiradores
    Scharfschützen
    Tireurs d'élite

Except that they aren't actual snipers. They use a modified E-10 Blaster Rifle, the sniper rifle is the E-11 and they got used by Scout Troopers.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Options
    At least they didn't translated First Order as "Primer pedido"
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    It looks like all translations are bad. The german translation at least is utter garbage with a lot of wrong translations.

Just a few examples:
    - english LV lead gives 35% CC+CD, german lead gives 25%
    - german Talon unique says "he loses 50% health and gains stealth for 1 turn" - the 'he' could cause confusion and make ppl think that the allied leader is meant
    - german oQGJ previously said "they recover 10% health and protection" instead of 100% (seems to be fixed now)
    - german oQGJ says "jedi allies offense equals 30x their speed" instead of "jedi allies gain offense equal to 30x their speed"
    - german BB Echo has a punctuation in his unique between the offense and TM gain. It says "for each buff dispelled, clone trooper allies gain 10% offense untill the end of their next turn. BB allies gain 5% TM." which would mean that even when dispelling a forest of buffs from GMY for example, the BB crew would only get a flat 5% TM gain instead of 80%+(?)
    - german BB Echo translation straight up left out the "cannot be resisted" part on his 2nd special, it just says "cannot be evaded"
    - german Royal Guard unique says "if an ally took damage" (so including RG), english version says "if another ally took damage" (excluding RG)

And these are just a few examples for the german translation. It's bad. Really bad.
    We need an ingame option to change the game language. Untill then I'd advise anyone (that can understand english) to always check swgoh.gg for character kits and never trust the ingame translations. If you don't understand english, well, too bad then.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Stokat
    829 posts Member
    Options
    Play the game in English-problem solved.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    Stokat wrote: »

How to do that on my phone without changing the system language of my phone?
  • Options

Have you read any of the Dev posts? If you seek clarity, English is the last language you want CG to use.
  • Options
    I don't remember which toon had this in his ability, but it said "obti ganan enen". They literally mixed "obtienen" and "ganan". I wish I remembered who it was.
  • Options
    At least they didn't translated First Order as "Primer pedido"

In the very beginning they translated it as "el primer orden" instead of "la primera orden".
  • TVF
    36629 posts Member
    Options
    Legend91 wrote: »

woosh
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    "an aggregate of individuals in one order" - this is the definition of "range" I've always ascribed to that unit. I don't think that distance has anything to do with it.
  • Options
    I don't remember which toon had this in his ability, but it said "obti ganan enen". They literally mixed "obtienen" and "ganan". I wish I remembered who it was.

QGJ's omicron ;)
  • Options
    "an aggregate of individuals in one order" - this is the definition of "range" I've always ascribed to that unit. I don't think that distance has anything to do with it.
    This is almost certainly the definition of 'range' intended in the name Range Trooper:

a large area of open land for grazing or hunting.
    "on dude ranches, tourists put on crisp new western gear to ride the range"
  • Options
    Why do they translate names anyway.
  • Options
    Range in the context of Range Trooper does actually mean Large Distance. It's a Trooper specialized in attacking from far
  • Metasly
    280 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    IvoB1987 wrote: »
    Range in the context of Range Trooper does actually mean Large Distance. It's a Trooper specialized in attacking from far
    Nope : it's "Range" as a synonym of "Frontier"
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Range_trooper
  • Options
    Sebek wrote: »
    In Italian they translated “soldato a lungo raggio”, similar to Spanish and… actually without a concrete sense in Italian 😂

Recently they also made a horrible grammar error translating Darth Talon unique:
    “La prima volta che il leader venga sconfitto” means that the leader is defeated, not that the leader would be defeated.

PS: I noticed this wide use of “they” for singular subject … politically correct will kill us zzryc5h8c4fz.png
    ydj0fd0gm6ka.png
    🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

For that PS, what do you mean?

I mean that recently it’s easy to find English texts (like those in SWGOH) in which the word “they” is used to represent a singular subject, not using “he” or “she”.
  • Options
    Sebek wrote: »

ydj0fd0gm6ka.png
    🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

For that PS, what do you mean?

I mean that recently it’s easy to find English texts (like those in SWGOH) in which the word “they” is used to represent a singular subject, not using “he” or “she”.
    But in this, and many other instances, the singular subject could be one of a range of characters, some of whom are male, some of whom are female.

In this case, Darth Talon will effectively revive the character in the leader slot whether “they” are male or female.

I think you’re looking for woke-rage where there isn’t any.
  • Options
    Metasly wrote: »
    IvoB1987 wrote: »
    Nope : it's "Range" as a synonym of "Frontier"
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Range_trooper

As someone who assists with software localization at my company, I can tell you that this is a pretty common issue across the industry. Most companies use automated translation services rather than hiring linguists or native speakers to translate or review. Considering the amount of text in character kits these days, it's actually kind of amazing that things are as good as as they are.

However, the scenarios that tend to be the worst are small snippets of texts that are devoid of context. In this case, the translation program has no idea if Range means "frontier", "distance", "cooking appliance" or "versatility" or if it is even a noun or a verb.

At work I was assigned the task of reviewing our Polish localization for any potentially egregious or offensive errors - I think the weirdest one was where a file would be called "Untitled" if the user didn't provide input. However, rather than use "anonimowy" (anonymous, unnamed) the translation program spat out "nieuprawny" which means land that is undeveloped (literally land without a title).

Ideally there should be someone in the UI/UX department that can predict when translations is going to be iffy and manually step in, but I imagine it's pretty low on their list of priorities.
  • Options

You don't need to change the system language. You just go to the phone settings, find the SWGOH app and there you can change the game language directly. At least that's how it works with iOS.

My system language is German. But I play the game in English. It works fine.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    Antario wrote: »

You don't need to change the system language. You just go to the phone settings, find the SWGOH app and there you can change the game language directly. At least that's how it works with iOS.

My system language is German. But I play the game in English. It works fine.

Can't do that on android.