Skill squish will not have an effect WRONG!

My alt account earned its way into kyber 2 last GAC. After the skill squish my total was below the new threshold for k2 though.

This event I went 2-1, so won more than I lost. I got demoted for my efforts, and certainly have noticed it happen. I ended up 5 points short of the kyber 2 threshold.

I will now get lower crystal income and lower rewards for at least my next week of the GAC.

After winning more than I lost I think it is fair to expect to end up in a better position than I started. Or at least not a worse position.

From the post announcing the squish, I do not think this was an intended outcome. But it has happened.

Replies

• Options
    Welcome to CG
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Options
    I think this was exactly what was intended With imbalanced divisions, the threshold will likely increase every season. I actually expect the squishing to be more severe after this season.
  • Options
    I fell after being promoted last time and then going 2-1 this time, as well. I was 4 points off the new cut. The upper edge of Kyber 3 is up 90 points if I'm doing my math correctly between two screen captures.
  • Options
    I've had the same issue. The squish pushed me under the Kyber 1 threshold, but continued to receive Kyber 1 rewards, got 2/3 - which I thought should be enough to stay in the same division, but I got relegated (presumably as I didn't get 3/3). Others with much lower skill ratings have been promoted into Kyber 1. It's not very intuitive whatever is going on.
  • Options
    I don't understand why the squish at all.

Yes, the threshold will need to constantly move each season to keep the population spread as they want it.

If we're supposed to sort out where we belong on the ladder by winning and losing, why squish everyone's points in between seasons? That's going to stretch out how long it takes for people to find their proper position on the ladder. Instead of really starting to get sorted by the end of this season it'll take another 2 or 3 more, if ever.

Some people reported losing points from the squish, like me, others apparently gained points. So what did they do? Bell-curve scaling like they used to do to exam marks when I was at school? If they want the population to fit a model maybe that's what they did?

At the moment we're getting placed in pools that come straight off the leaderboard. So how are we getting sorted on that leaderboard? How do the thousands of players at the same skill get placed on there? If that was also used for the squish, did some people on the exact same skill have a different result based on where the leaderboard placed them?

I obviously have a lot of questions about how this system really works. I want to understand it.
  • Options
    Losing 60 skill point when lose a round and winning only 25 for a win a round... is it normal?
  • Options
    Jenjhys wrote: »
    Losing 60 skill point when lose a round and winning only 25 for a win a round... is it normal?

Wait actually? Losing = removing 60 rating and winning vies 25? If thats case that is the dumbest rating ever
  • Options
    3 points off Kyber 1 😦
    I went 3-0... was only 12 points off Kyber 1 last time (only because I lost the last match) and then the squish happened...
    Absolute joke that the squish will not affect my ability to reach the next division

I guess we can just report the original post Crumb made for broken content?
  • Options
    Yup I climbed to K1 just to have my score changed and the goal post moved. then after going 2 W 1L drop back to k2.
  • Winterwolves
    1742 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

I only wrote down the numbers in the final round. My main account lost that round, went down by 39 skill points. Record was W-W-L.
    My alt account won, went up by 40 skill points. Record was L-W-W.

I didn't record what my opponent skill points were.
  • Options

I only wrote down the numbers in the final round. My main account lost that round, went down by 39 skill points. Record was W-W-L.

All my changes in the first set were in the low to mid 30’s up or down. My jumps this set have been low 40’s and then I have one small jump of 11 which I believe is the day the squish happened. I have not seen any significant difference in the change between winning and losing, but that’s just looking at my numbers.

You can see all the changes in your skill rating on gg so you should be able to see if there is any significant differences between winning and losing.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Jenjhys
    272 posts Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

All my changes in the first set were in the low to mid 30’s up or down. My jumps this set have been low 40’s and then I have one small jump of 11 which I believe is the day the squish happened. I have not seen any significant difference in the change between winning and losing, but that’s just looking at my numbers.

You can see all the changes in your skill rating on gg so you should be able to see if there is any significant differences between winning and losing.

watching on gg and I confirm that losing more for lose round than winning for a win round

I lose 61 skill point just between this new gac and the begining of the firsrt round of gac... 😂

@CG any reason?
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

watching on gg and I confirm that losing more for lose round than winning for a win round

I lose 61 skill point just between this new gac and the begining of the firsrt round of gac... 😂

@CG any reason?

Go read the "skill squish" post in dev announcements
  • Options
    Same here. LWW, finished second place and it dropped me from Kyber 1 to Kyber 2. Skill squish announce was that this will not affect ranks, but its not true. It dosnt affect only Week1 GAC, but mass people got demoted after it finish. yx3nbxmr28wc.jpg

• Options
    I got promoted from Kyber 2 to Kyber 1 at the end of last season.

Score!
    A week of extra crystals for doing nothing between seasons
    A second week of extra crystals and 2 wins vs opponents with 2 more GLs than me.

Now I'm back to Kyber 2 but those extra crystals helped me finish unlocking and power up my next GL so who knows, maybe I'll be back in Kyber 1 next week.

Welcome to the churn. This is the way.
  • Options
    Not a coincidence almost everyone complaining is in kyber 2. Nobody moves up out of Kyber 1, so getting into it will be hard as they don’t want it to get bigger. Also have to remember there were probably a bunch of people in aurodium 1 last season that went 3-0 all season and had skill scores much higher than their division. They only moved to kyber 5 regardless of their skill score for the first week, but then finally move to where they *should* have been the whole time after last week. My understanding is that this was intended and one of the reasons it will take a couple months to settle down.
  • Options
    TriKnight wrote: »
    Not a coincidence almost everyone complaining is in kyber 2. Nobody moves up out of Kyber 1, so getting into it will be hard as they don’t want it to get bigger. Also have to remember there were probably a bunch of people in aurodium 1 last season that went 3-0 all season and had skill scores much higher than their division. They only moved to kyber 5 regardless of their skill score for the first week, but then finally move to where they *should* have been the whole time after last week. My understanding is that this was intended and one of the reasons it will take a couple months to settle down.

I went from A1 to K3 so not everyone in that situation went to K5 regardless of SR.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Options
    The skill squish did not negatively effect CG's profit ranking, nor the community's daily/weekly/monthly communications payouts from CG.

EXKh7jqXYAI4gA-.jpg
  • Options
    My main finished the last GAC on 3713 points. 8-4 record. I was proud of myself; I beat quite a few ppl with more GLs than me, sometimes alot more GLs than me.

Then the squish happened. And my 3713 points became 3643. CG, you effectively stripped me of 2 victories and then you raised the K1 bar. I've now dropped to K2. Meanwhile my alt went 7-5. It finished on 2641. The squish granted it 81 points. It's now in Aurodium 3 after getting promoted to A5 at the end of the last GAC event.

If you need to raise the bar for divisions, that's one thing. But nuking our victories bc we outperformed your expectations is underhanded and outright unfair.
  • Options
    Maybe instead of squishing people to lower brackets they could add a Kyber Ultra+ tier with higher rewards for the top performers?
  • Options
    I do wish CG would clarify/correct their initial comments on the squish. It appears evident that CG didn't like how many people were in K1 (much higher than their stated goal of 10% of Kyber).
  • Options
    CG takes….rarely gives
  • Options
    TriKnight wrote: »

It is not true that all aurodium 1 went to kyber 5. They went to the kyber division that corresponds their skill rating immediately.