The True Wielder of the Darksaber

Greetings and Salutations everyone,

This is an interesting topic that came up after some friends of mine and I watched the most recent episode of The Book of Boba Fett. So, spoiler warning for those who haven't seen it yet.

In this episode, Din Djarin returns to the Armorer with the Darksaber, and tries to train with it. However, the saber seems to get heavier and heavier with each passing moment. One of my friends pointed out that Moff Gideon often held the saber low during his fight with Din Djarin in the season 2 closing episode, hinting that he had a similar problem. In one of the previous appearances of the Darksaber in the show Rebels, Sabine Wren comments to having the same problem. The conclusion we came to is that none of them were proper wielders of the Darksaber.

The rules of the Darksaber hasn't been clarified, but Moff Gideon claims that it can only be won in combat. It cannot be gifted, which is why Bo-Katan refused to accept it. I pointed out that Din Djarin yielded, so combat DID technically take place even though no blows were thrown, but Bo-Katan still refused. If borrowing the same rules for the Elder Wand from Harry Potter, this means that Din Djarin SHOULD be the rightful wielder since he beat Moff Gideon, assuming Gideon was the rightful wielder.

So, we did some research, watched a few episodes of The Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandalorian to trace back the history of the Darksaber. The last person to really wield the saber proficiently was Pre Viszla. One of my friends pointed out Maul, but his proficiency could be explained away as his use of the Force to compensate. In the duels we see him use the Darksaber against another lightsaber wielder, he seems to lose, hinting that he's not a proper wielder. So, who is the true and rightful wielder of the Darksaber?

The first canon appearance of the Darksaber is in an episode where Pre Vizsla reveals himself to be the leader of Death Watch, and duels Obi Wan Kenobi. Kenobi defeats him, and escapes with Empress Satine. However, he leaves the Darksaber behind. Following the rules of the Elder Wand, which are similar in many ways, this means that Obi Wan was the rightful wielder of the Darksaber! One pointed out that he died at the hands of Vader on the Death Star, and Vader was defeated by Luke, which makes Luke the rightful wielder. However, it should be noted, that Obi Wan technically yielded the fight and accepted his fate. This means, as established prior, Vader never won the fight and Obi Wan died still being the Darksaber's true wielder!

May the Force be with you,

Lord Grahck

Replies

• Options
    I didn't get it the way that the Darksaber has this kind of Elder Wand Mechanic. Just that the rightful wielder can claim the throne of mandalore without consequences for the mandalorians. I really hope it is just a thing of proper Training and mindset, because as you said the only non force sensitive who wielded it properly was pre viszla and he probably had years of training with it.
  • Options
    Blubcop wrote: »
    I didn't get it the way that the Darksaber has this kind of Elder Wand Mechanic. Just that the rightful wielder can claim the throne of mandalore without consequences for the mandalorians. I really hope it is just a thing of proper Training and mindset, because as you said the only non force sensitive who wielded it properly was pre viszla and he probably had years of training with it.

That's what I'm hoping as well. However, Sabine and Din Djarin both claimed the Darksaber kept getting heavy, and Moff Gideon acted like it was heavy. Both Kanan and The Armorer refers to the Darksaber as having a form of willpower that Sabine and Din were both fighting against instead of using.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    I’ve heard theories that it’s actually Ahsoka, as Maul defeated Vizsla and Ahsoka defeated him. If we’re looking at it in terms of just combat, it’s Obi-Wan for defeating Vizsla first. If it requires you to kill the person who wielded it, it would still come to Obi-Wan (Maul kills Vizsla, Obi-Wan kills Maul), and ultimately both paths lead to Luke. I’d much rather the rule be that whoever has it can learn to use it effectively, as that would be much more compelling for the Mandalorian.