Should I really get LV?

I am just a couple toons away from being able to get LV but I am seriously considering not going for him. I know it might seem like a waist of gearing all these characters but currently right now I’m lacking zetas on characters and LV needs 6. But we all know how trash LV is. Should I just skip out on this GL and just get full dark side tickets for next one? Honestly I don’t see it worth even unlocking and gearing him up if I if teams like traya are going to one shot him.

Replies

• Options
    Lol I assume you watched the clip of Playbook one shotting a R9 LV with Maul using Trio, Talon & DV with all 5 surviving.
  • Options
    At some point in the very near future we're going to get a kit rework announcement for LV based on all the things they've been doing recently that have made adjustments to him, along with power-rating announcements. He's going to get better, but even still with the intense requirements he has (even more so than JMK) I would save him until last. Even if you have the other 5 GL's, go for StarKiller and unlock and build him first as he's basically a GL in GAC.
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    At some point in the very near future we're going to get a kit rework announcement for LV based on all the things they've been doing recently that have made adjustments to him, along with power-rating announcements. He's going to get better, but even still with the intense requirements he has (even more so than JMK) I would save him until last. Even if you have the other 5 GL's, go for StarKiller and unlock and build him first as he's basically a GL in GAC.

It’s been over a month since they made a post about it, I really have no hopes in anything tbh.
  • Options
    Whaleathon wrote: »
    I am just a couple toons away from being able to get LV but I am seriously considering not going for him. I know it might seem like a waist of gearing all these characters but currently right now I’m lacking zetas on characters and LV needs 6. But we all know how trash LV is. Should I just skip out on this GL and just get full dark side tickets for next one? Honestly I don’t see it worth even unlocking and gearing him up if I if teams like traya are going to one shot him.

If you're closer to unlocking him than another GL then imo it's foolish not to. He still beats all the other GLs on offense. So what if there's a team that can one-shot him? He's still strong on offense in literally every game mode. He's still a GL. It's not like you're going to lose against AI without superbly bad RNG. Just because he's not the best on defense doesn't mean he's not a valuable character to have in your roster.

And FWIW, I don't think you'll find many people that will see LV on defense and say, "Yay, easy win!" Aside from that, his prereqs are among the most useful of the GLs. Bad batch? Zam? Dooku? GAS? ARC? Echo? All of those characters are extremely useful in their own right.

I can't think of a good reason to skip him if you're already close.
    F2P since the last time I bought Kyros, Crystals, or the Conquest Pass.
  • Options

If you're closer to unlocking him than another GL then imo it's foolish not to. He still beats all the other GLs on offense. So what if there's a team that can one-shot him? He's still strong on offense in literally every game mode. He's still a GL. It's not like you're going to lose against AI without superbly bad RNG. Just because he's not the best on defense doesn't mean he's not a valuable character to have in your roster.

And FWIW, I don't think you'll find many people that will see LV on defense and say, "Yay, easy win!" Aside from that, his prereqs are among the most useful of the GLs. Bad batch? Zam? Dooku? GAS? ARC? Echo? All of those characters are extremely useful in their own right.

By name he may be a GL but not how he plays. I would rather take starkiller over him. I just don’t want to invest gear, zetas, and time into a character that sucks. I’d rather spend it on a character I can get use out of.
  • Options
    And we're saying you get use out of him on Offense, just not on Defense.

But here's the thing: If you put him on Defense, you get 0% use out of him on Offense. There is no GL that you can use on both Offense & Defense in the same TW or the same GAC round. It's always a choice to use your toon in one or the other.

So LV requires you (in your opinion) to put him on Offense. What's the big deal?

As for Starkiller... He requires 2 zetas and 2 omicrons just for himself -- and omicrons are far more scarce than zetas. Top that off with the zetas required by his pre-requisites and you put yourself farther behind than just 6 zetas.

There's no logical argument that Starkiller is a better investment than Vader.

**THAT SAID**, this is supposed to be a game, not a job. If vader subjectively feels like a pain in your patootie rather than something you'd be happy to have, then absolutely skip him: because you're playing the game for fun (or should be).

If you stop playing the game for fun and only play for the most efficient path to power, you're going to tire of it very quickly.

It's just a mobile game: play for fun. Get the toons you're excited to get. Invest time in the game modes that delight you to play. Score those upgrades that put an evil glint in your eye. The rest? Don't worry about it.

Me? These days I play mostly just for the KAM mission. I don't pretend that Maul "isn't worth it" or that it was impossible to grind him out on Conquest. But the way feats were structured, Conquest just wasn't any fun to me. It still annoys me that I can bring in a GL and have ewoks outspeed my GL on **node 1** of Sector 3 and kill one of my toons before I can move. What a pain in the backside. But it is what it is. Some people think the challenge is fun, and more power to them. I get annoyed, so I choose to play something else that is fun.

This is the way.

So don't try to logic your way into the decision to skip Vader (or out of it). Just think, "What sounds more fun?" Then do that.
  • Options

By name he may be a GL but not how he plays. I would rather take starkiller over him. I just don’t want to invest gear, zetas, and time into a character that sucks. I’d rather spend it on a character I can get use out of.

Have you heard that he sucks from people that are using him? Like I said, he counters every other GL. I'm not sure what qualifies as a good character if that doesn't. I haven't heard any complaints from the LV owners I know.

If you just don't like him, that's perfectly fine - don't get him. If you would rather have star killer then you should definitely go that route. I really think it's being optimistic to expect that he will perform on par with LV.

Just my opinion - how close I am to a GL is the primary deciding factor in which GL I'm going after. Star killer is not on my GL list, because he's not a GL and will not consistently out perform LV.

• Options
    There's no logical argument that Starkiller is a better investment than Vader.

This is straight up untrue.
    Starkiller, as of now, is 1000% a better investment than LV, if you're starting from scratch on either character.

Starkiller's reqs are 4 (LITERALLY JUST FOUR) R5 chars.
    He's essentially a GL-tier character in the mode where your primary income now comes from.
    He's by far the best use of Omicrons in the game aside from perhaps QGJ (despite what people say, his Omi is still insanely good.)

If you're "just a couple toons away" from LV and already actually invested the resources into the reqs, than yeah, LV is by far the better choice to go after.

But 4 R5s vs 4 R8s for a character that essentially does the same exact thing in GAC is a no-brainer.
    And the fact there's more requirements for LV than just those 4 R8s...?

I'm probably pursuing SK before JMK and JMK is legitimately probably the best character in the game right now, just because it's literally only 4 R5 characters that you need. And doing better in GAC gets you to other goals faster in the future.

Unless you're a high-end whale in a literally top-level guild, in which case you should've had LV day of release, there's basically no real argument currently for focusing on anything outside of GAC for your primary investments. And resource-wise, SK's probably the single best investment for GAC in the game atm, maybe arguably behind only Executor.

But, as I said, that's going off of "no investment towards anything else" comparisons.
    If you're literally 2-3 characters off of a proper GL, that's obviously better.

It's just that the particular way you stated that sentence, reads like you're saying "no matter what, LV is a better investment", when that's just... not even remotely true.
  • Options

Have you heard that he sucks from people that are using him? Like I said, he counters every other GL. I'm not sure what qualifies as a good character if that doesn't. I haven't heard any complaints from the LV owners I know.

If you just don't like him, that's perfectly fine - don't get him. If you would rather have star killer then you should definitely go that route. I really think it's being optimistic to expect that he will perform on par with LV.

Just my opinion - how close I am to a GL is the primary deciding factor in which GL I'm going after. Star killer is not on my GL list, because he's not a GL and will not consistently out perform LV.

I’ll just say it’s no sweat on my brow to take out LV. He has one of the weakest ults out of all the GLs and his damage is horrible. I’ve seen omega hit harder than him. If an opponent can take him out with 4-5 year old characters that are not even journey characters then LV sucks. Starkiller can out damage LV any day of the week with. If they buff him significantly I’ll be more than happy to take back my statements but it really is embarrassing to release such an iconic and sought after character that is just flat disappointing. The dude has an attacker tag and has some of the lowest damage in the game. I’ve seen him hit for 4K on a non gl non tank.
  • Options
    Here’s an honest run down.

1.) You are only a few characters away from unlocking LV. If you’re that close then it would be unwise to switch gears. Finish off LV and let him be your next GL. His reqs are incredibly steep with 4 R8’s needed but….that’s a trade off….

2.) His reqs yield a few teams that are pretty awesome. Bad batch is an amazing team for offense in GAC. Nute seps can be incredibly tricky and gadgety if you have others to pair with him and Dooku. An R8 padme is still and R8 Padme and modded right can cause issues on defense in GAC in the lower brackets. An R8 GAS is an R8 GAS. Zam with her Omi in GAC is top tier. Not to mention a few of LV’s reqs in Dooku, Tarkin and others are needed for another GL: SEE.

3.) When you unlock LV then you can use him on offense in GAC. Don’t place him on defense and DO NOT place piett or Maul with him on defense, nor use them with him on offense. Maul and Piett each are key cogs in their own team. Only use maul with LV if your mando team is blah.

4.) After LV look at your roster and see who is closest after. I’m betting SEE. If that’s the case go for him. He’s another amazing offensive GL when paired with Wat and/or Armorer.

5.) After LV and SEE, I highly recommend going after Slkr as he’s one of the best all around GL’s, can one shot HSTR, and brings you two solid (one is a very good defensive TW team and another an all around good team) Teams. Obviously JMK is the best GL paired with CAT but we are talking resource management and ease of attainment
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    This is a lame question. If you almost have the pre reqs and you don't mind leveling them then seems foolish to not unlock. If you don't want to level then don't level. If you are so worried about whether he holds in GAC use him for offense. He is a sick offensive character IF you know how to play him.

Now, if the last reqs you have are characters you don't want to level then don't.
  • Options
    If you're so close, go for it. Or else all the previous efforts and resources would have been wasted.
  • SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I don’t even know if I like lord Vader on offense either lol, he’s pretty bad with banners
  • Options
    As an offensive GL, he is fantastic. I don’t set him on defense anymore because of the cheese.
  • Options

If your mind is made up, why do you ask for advice ? Happy farming and have fun.
  • Options
    Very underwhelming PVP toon. Still a GL, so a valuable chess piece in GAC and TW. Amazing in Conquest if that's your thing. Helpful in other assault challenges if you haven't mastered them yet. Were it not for the utility of almost all of his prerequisites he would be a really hard sell IMHO. But as pointed out, you get a lot of nice pieces with him. I didn't have SEE yet, so it was almost a 2 for 1 farm. To each their own.
  • Options
    We should really call him LF not LV lol.
    LF truly feels like JTR, came out and boom was out of the meta in less than a month, yes it could beat any team and so did any other team could beat her.
    Still good character to have in your arsenal but it never truly took off till years later
  • Options
    LF truly feels like JTR, came out and boom was out of the meta in less than a month, yes it could beat any team and so did any other team could beat her.
    Still good character to have in your arsenal but it never truly took off till years later

JTR dominated for longer than that. She was one of the only characters I whaled on and she kept me in the crystal income for quite a while after. And there are still LVs mixed in with the JMKs at the top of my arena shard, so I'm not sure where this idea comes from that he's not meta.

For the record I do think he could use a buff, but I see a lot of people acting like he's completely useless and sub-par. Considering that he and to a lesser extent JML are the ONLY consistent JMK counters (the "best" GL according to many) I can't figure out how that logic tracks. In fact, that alone makes the claim that he's "the worst GL" or a "GL in name only" a flat out falsehood.
  • Monel
    2786 posts Member
    Options

JTR dominated for longer than that. She was one of the only characters I whaled on and she kept me in the crystal income for quite a while after. And there are still LVs mixed in with the JMKs at the top of my arena shard, so I'm not sure where this idea comes from that he's not meta.

For the record I do think he could use a buff, but I see a lot of people acting like he's completely useless and sub-par. Considering that he and to a lesser extent JML are the ONLY consistent JMK counters (the "best" GL according to many) I can't figure out how that logic tracks. In fact, that alone makes the claim that he's "the worst GL" or a "GL in name only" a flat out falsehood.

Comes from a streamer.
  • Options

Not useless which is what i said, i literally said yes it can kill everything but all the previous metas can kill it too with ease.
    JTR came out in January and even when she was out both CLS and thrawn were able to beat her easily, and than a month later the Emperor palpatine and vader rework happened, and at that point we had 3 off meta teams beating JTR and yes JTR could beat all of them back but her golden days were over right from the start.
    Comparing lord failure to every other GL launch shows how weak he is compared to others GL launches.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

If your mind is made up, why do you ask for advice ? Happy farming and have fun.

I wanted to see if anyone had a good enough reason to go after him. I’m still making my mind up. I’m just waiting to see if the changes are any good if they even change him at all.
  • Options

Comparing lord failure to every other GL launch shows how weak he is compared to others GL launches.

It’s even worse since LV /w Maul is supposed to be a step above the first 4 GLs like JMK is.
  • Options
    Starslayer wrote: »

I wanted to see if anyone had a good enough reason to go after him. I’m still making my mind up. I’m just waiting to see if the changes are any good if they even change him at all.

Ok then, here is my advice:
    In your personal case, the question is: should i gear a couple of useless mooks in order to unlock a character that is able to beat about any team in the game ? Yes, in a heartbeat.

Now if the question really is : In general, is LV a better investment than SK ? That’s a different question for a different thread.
  • Options
    If the LV we got was as excessively and stupidly overpowered as the LV in conquest, then sure! But the one we as players have now, no. He sucks, especially for the resource cost we have to pay for the most expensive and resource intensive character in the game.

Seriously, did you guys forget to turn off the stupid OP switch on certain nodes like with LV? My SLKR is getting one shot by Maul even with tech and master's training on him. (Oh and Rey's "2x Massive" whirlwind does 35k damage at most to anyone on the team. Yeah, "massive" Bantha poodoo.)
  • Options
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    If the LV we got was as excessively and stupidly overpowered as the LV in conquest, then sure! But the one we as players have now, no. He sucks, especially for the resource cost we have to pay for the most expensive and resource intensive character in the game.

Seriously, did you guys forget to turn off the stupid OP switch on certain nodes like with LV? My SLKR is getting one shot by Maul even with tech and master's training on him. (Oh and Rey's "2x Massive" whirlwind does 35k damage at most to anyone on the team. Yeah, "massive" Bantha poodoo.)

LV’s not so bad in conquest, my dark trooper hit him a couple times and took his lunch money and there wasn’t a thing he could do about it.
  • Options
    LV isn’t too bad, my g12 imps (R8 piett) & Wat destroyed his squad.

Just need frenzy consumable paired with the massively overpowered disc (gotten from the DV/JKL kill feat) and you can 3* the battle.