GAC's big issues

Prev1
In its current form, GAC has some huge issues, and I hope this can be a reasonable discussion about those issues and some potential solutions. Issues I have currently:

1. All players, regardless of GP, should have a fair chance for Kyber rewards. Not only can't newer players compete for Kyber currently, the reward structure ensures that they never will. I can't imagine how demoralizing it would be to be a new or early-midgame player under this new GAC format.

2. The most "skilled" players at every level of the game should not be forced into having only a 50% win rate, which is where this "skill" system will eventually balance out for the vast, vast majority of us. This is very demoralizing for me, and I guarantee I'm not alone.

A solution that would solve both of these issues would be to bring back GP brackets, and then matchmake based on "skill rating" within those brackets. I believe the skill rating system is a step in the right direction, but GP absolutely must factor into matchmaking somehow (there's a reason wrestling has weight classes). Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Replies

• Options
    I am a new-ish player, over a year around 2.8 mil GP and perfectly happy not to be in kyber.

I am very competitive and motivated to move through ranks as I improve my roster. But rather than weight classes I see this as a tournament style similar to football. I am happy in my league and will work hard to be promoted to a better league with better players and with better rewards, once I have earned it.

Crystals are generous even low down, I earn much more than from squad arena. And this is much more fun.
  • Options
    I’m hip. This GAC I’m have an opponent with two GL’s and 49 gear level 13 while I have 11 gl 13. I have no solution,but I would add this is my new normal in current form GAC.
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »
    I am a new-ish player, over a year around 2.8 mil GP and perfectly happy not to be in kyber.

I am very competitive and motivated to move through ranks as I improve my roster. But rather than weight classes I see this as a tournament style similar to football. I am happy in my league and will work hard to be promoted to a better league with better players and with better rewards, once I have earned it.

Crystals are generous even low down, I earn much more than from squad arena. And this is much more fun.

That's also how I felt, until reaching the point where I can only win 50% of my matches. I'm assuming you haven't hit that point yet, and are still winning the majority of your matches. You might move up another league or two, but unfortunately I think for everyone similar to you, Kyber will be forever out of reach.
  • Options
    until reaching the point where I can only win 50% of my matches

Eventually everyone in GAC will be winning roughly half of their matches… that is the intent. No one can win or lose forever, things will balance out.
  • Options
    Most of youcalled "skilled" players were really just having their GP ascetically strict budgeting, therefore they took advantage in their bracket. I am not saying it was incorrect way to play the game, but I believe players should be able to gear whoever they want freely without been puting on a inferior position because they gear someone they like.
  • Options
    until reaching the point where I can only win 50% of my matches

Eventually everyone in GAC will be winning roughly half of their matches… that is the intent. No one can win or lose forever, things will balance out.

Exactly, and what's the fun in that? People who derive enjoyment from winning the majority of their GACs (which is a large portion of the player base) are going to be sorely disappointed. Myself among them.
  • Options
    The fun is being able to defeat an opponent that is more or less evenly matched up with your roster… I frankly don’t see the fun of continually beating people I know I’ll beat.
  • Options
    it takes time to get to that where you have active plauers with similar rosters fighting each other. we’re not even done with the second season.
  • Options
    The fun is being able to defeat an opponent that is more or less evenly matched up with your roster… I frankly don’t see the fun of continually beating people I know I’ll beat.

Right, but with a long term average win rate of 50%, every victory will essentially guarantee you a corresponding defeat later on. In my opinion, it takes the spirit of competition out of the mode to know that no matter how hard you try or how "skilled" you are, you'll never do better than 50% over the long run.
  • Options
    Screerider wrote: »
    it takes time to get to that where you have active plauers with similar rosters fighting each other. we’re not even done with the second season.

Yes, hopefully the mismatches get better with time. But my original two issues will not be solved by the passage of time; in fact they'll likely get worse.
  • Options
    You know what is more frustrating than a 50% winrate? Its a 20% winrate… so stop calling for 20% winrates - which is what you are doing when asking for a high winrate for yourself; because thats what your OP is getting… 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    A solution that would solve both of these issues would be to bring back GP brackets, and then matchmake based on "skill rating" within those brackets. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
    I am strongly against this...i have seen on this and other games that this will incentivate "optimized" roosters designed to dominate "brackets" and i dont see HOW this would be good for the game or most players. I really prefer to be able to experiment with whatever toons i feel like withou having to worry that that would put be on a bad GAC bracket...this is a game for fun, not a job with precise objectives...
    As it is now, the game rewards PROGRESS...if you keep improving your roster you will get 50% or more wins (theoretically)...and BTW, forcing a player to stay in some "bracket" is actually MORE LIMITING than the "liberal" system now in place.
    I am usually beaten by rosters with higher GPs than mine, but was just beaten by one with less BUT that had a roster DESIGNED to get SEE...it had the exact necessary toons for that...nothing else...but was obviously VERY STRONG...
  • Options
    I hate that GAC is a time sink and unlike squad arena, the reset timing is fixed and unchangeable. I don’t like that the reset time is 5am in my timezone because I like to move 2nd. Why? Moving 2nd is even better than it was last time, because:
    1. U get to budget ur teams better
    2. If ur opponent did a perfect clear with a high average, u know u can just abandon the match if u screw up once, thus saving u time. Last time due to the points accumulation, u definitely have to clear the board either way if not u wont even hit aurodium.
  • Options
    In my first round I scored 1
    I hate that GAC is a time sink and unlike squad arena, the reset timing is fixed and unchangeable. I don’t like that the reset time is 5am in my timezone because I like to move 2nd. Why? Moving 2nd is even better than it was last time, because:
    2. If ur opponent did a perfect clear with a high average, u know u can just abandon the match if u screw up once, thus saving u time. Last time due to the points accumulation, u definitely have to clear the board either way if not u wont even hit aurodium.

I always find these comments funny, just play the game whenever you feel like it and use whatever you need to do to win the battle. If you know that you can solo a battle, then you don't need to go second to make sure that you actually solo it.
  • WookieWookie
    1460 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    In my first round I scored 1

I always find these comments funny, just play the game whenever you feel like it and use whatever you need to do to win the battle. If you know that you can solo a battle, then you don't need to go second to make sure that you actually solo it.

You completely missed his point. If your openent drops two battles or fails to clear your exec you can play much differently and do safe clears and maybe plan to two shot a GL if they have more on D than you do on O instead of trying to underman and make risky plays. Going second is a huge advantage and CG still has yet to even give 1 banner or something trivial for the first to attack and clear each zone as an incentive to attack before the last minute.

Edit: also a lot of people used to just "play (GAC) whether they feel like" until CG made it the primary source of crystals. That promotes min/maxing and decreases quality of life because of the disadvantage of attacking first is OPs point
  • Options
    Ghost666 wrote: »
    A solution that would solve both of these issues would be to bring back GP brackets, and then matchmake based on "skill rating" within those brackets. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
    I am strongly against this...i have seen on this and other games that this will incentivate "optimized" roosters designed to dominate "brackets" and i dont see HOW this would be good for the game or most players. I really prefer to be able to experiment with whatever toons i feel like withou having to worry that that would put be on a bad GAC bracket...this is a game for fun, not a job with precise objectives...
    As it is now, the game rewards PROGRESS...if you keep improving your roster you will get 50% or more wins (theoretically)...and BTW, forcing a player to stay in some "bracket" is actually MORE LIMITING than the "liberal" system now in place.

I agree that these are legitimate concerns, but I still think it's important to factor GP into matchmaking somehow. What if instead of brackets, you could only be matched against opponents who are within a certain range of your current GP? That way you're still incentivized to grow your roster.

Your statement about "if you keep improving your roster you will get 50% or more wins" is only true if you can out-progress (i.e. out-spend) your peers.
  • Options
    It's like climbing in Squad Arena. You beat teams until you get to a point to can't get any higher. Improve your team, you can.
  • Options
    Im at 5 million gp and all my opponents are 7 mil with multiple gls....lmao
  • Options
    You all need to git gud, and by that of course I mean spend more.
  • Options
    Ghost666 wrote: »

I agree that these are legitimate concerns, but I still think it's important to factor GP into matchmaking somehow. What if instead of brackets, you could only be matched against opponents who are within a certain range of your current GP? That way you're still incentivized to grow your roster.

Your statement about "if you keep improving your roster you will get 50% or more wins" is only true if you can out-progress (i.e. out-spend) your peers.

If you can’t out-progress your peers then you’ll lose and still get 50% wins at some point, just lower on the ladder.
  • Options
    In its current form, GAC has some huge issues, and I hope this can be a reasonable discussion about those issues and some potential solutions. Issues I have currently:

1. All players, regardless of GP, should have a fair chance for Kyber rewards. Not only can't newer players compete for Kyber currently, the reward structure ensures that they never will. I can't imagine how demoralizing it would be to be a new or early-midgame player under this new GAC format.

2. The most "skilled" players at every level of the game should not be forced into having only a 50% win rate, which is where this "skill" system will eventually balance out for the vast, vast majority of us. This is very demoralizing for me, and I guarantee I'm not alone.

A solution that would solve both of these issues would be to bring back GP brackets, and then matchmake based on "skill rating" within those brackets. I believe the skill rating system is a step in the right direction, but GP absolutely must factor into matchmaking somehow (there's a reason wrestling has weight classes). Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

1, disagree. The old system was maybe too extreme the other way, where participation basically guaranteed Kyber. There was no real honor to it.

2, disagree strongly. I won about 90% in old GAC, even higher when I was actively engaged. Most matches were trivial, so wins stopped feeling special.

I think it's silly for one to call themself competitive but also expect a high win rate vs garbage opponents. Competitive people want competition, which means harder matches, which means bigger highs for wins.

In my neck of the ladder, GAC changes have been amazing!
  • Options
    It's like climbing in Squad Arena. You beat teams until you get to a point to can't get any higher. Improve your team, you can.

GAC is not like squad at all. With squad and the current JMK I can climb to #1 any time I want regardless of mods, GP or most other factors (shard chats being the exception) and that would likely not change if I was in the shard with the biggest whales, I win 9 times out of 10 against any team cuz the AI is pretty dumb.

In GAC there is no way for me at 6 mil GP to compete with the whales and no way for me to catch up to them as they will always progress faster than I will. Can I get better and compete with rosters that are somewhat better than mine, sure, but it’s nothing like squad arena.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

GAC is not like squad at all. With squad and the current JMK I can climb to #1 any time I want regardless of mods, GP or most other factors (shard chats being the exception) and that would likely not change if I was in the shard with the biggest whales, I win 9 times out of 10 against any team cuz the AI is pretty dumb.

In GAC there is no way for me at 6 mil GP to compete with the whales and no way for me to catch up to them as they will always progress faster than I will. Can I get better and compete with rosters that are somewhat better than mine, sure, but it’s nothing like squad arena.

meanwhile you get more crystals and dont have to do the same 5-10 battles at the exact same time every day even if you dont have time to do them
    hello
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're roster is maxed at the best possible roster in the game, then you'd probably be at the top of GAC divisions. So it is like Squad Arena.
  • Clptampa
    2 posts Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Issue im having with 5 mil vs 7 no matter what i do the vs has more relics and i cant balance defense with offense...i have no issue beating a gl but i get smoked ...
  • Options
    Disagree with both of the op points, but there are 2 things wrong with gac.

1. Single fleet meta. I think in a lot of GAC matches, the fights on the ground become a trivial waste of your time. If your Executor counter fails then that's at least 20 banners gone, plus the cleanup fleet might make taking down the second fleet tougher too. Executor is the one source of crystals at the moment. I am one of the fans of fleets in this game, but I actually think I'd prefer a no fleet GAC at this point.

2. Giving an advantage based on time zone or life responsibilities. Going second gives you more information. I was lucky enough to be able to go second today on my alt. It enabled me to win, as after my Executor counter failed I was behind. But I knew exactly how far behind. So I knew that for the back zone I needed an average of 66.5 banners to win. So I had to do some risky attacks that I definitely would not have attempted if I had not known exactly the count needed. And now my opponent gets a loss based on giving me info. And I just managed to get around my first point, just. Hide the scores until the end, make it a replay video so you can see each of your teams fall over in sequence, flashing up the number of banners, or 'Hold' for each battle.
  • Options
    ImaSmakya wrote: »

meanwhile you get more crystals and dont have to do the same 5-10 battles at the exact same time every day even if you dont have time to do them

And that relates in any way to my response how?
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're roster is maxed at the best possible roster in the game, then you'd probably be at the top of GAC divisions. So it is like Squad Arena.

New meta comes out in squad arena, whales get it and have an advantage for a few months while I catch up and then we are even again. In GAC, there is no way that someone sitting at 5 or 6 mil GP is ever going to catch up to someone spending thousands on the game. Comparing a single squad game mode to a game mode that requires an entire roster is silly.
  • Options
    It's similar in that you improve you climb, just on a vaster scale.
  • Options
    It's similar in that you improve you climb, just on a vaster scale.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing against the changes to GAC, I’m actually enjoying them. But the dynamics of climbing (and falling) in a single squad game mode like squad is nothing like GAC, scale has little to do with it.