Are the skill squishes making Kyber 1 smaller and smaller?

13Next

Replies

• Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering if point spread is factored in to the SR. No reason it couldn't or shouldn't be, but this would mean points actually do matter, not just wins and losses.

CG has explicitly stated banners don't matter. It seems pretty clear, as well, from observation, that banner spread is irrelevant. I'd argue they very much shouldn't be, but that's not the point of this thread.

Now, you said "points", not banners. If you meant SR gap matters, I think that is possible but haven't seen or looked for evidence either way.
  • zatho
    747 posts Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if point spread is factored in to the SR. No reason it couldn't or shouldn't be, but this would mean points actually do matter, not just wins and losses.

CG has explicitly stated banners don't matter. It seems pretty clear, as well, from observation, that banner spread is irrelevant. I'd argue they very much shouldn't be, but that's not the point of this thread.

Now, you said "points", not banners. If you meant SR gap matters, I think that is possible but haven't seen or looked for evidence either way.

Isn't the skill rating of opponents very similar? All in the bracket start with the same SR, then they always face opponents with similar amount of wins and losses.
  • Options
    zatho wrote: »

Isn't the skill rating of opponents very similar? All in the bracket start with the same SR, then they always face opponents with similar amount of wins and losses.

In the trenches, yes, SR is very close. But #1 K1 has a huge lead. I'm too lazy to see if his +/- have tracked with mine.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

I meant banners, and you're correct, they do not matter.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    zatho wrote: »

Yeah. It would play a bigger role if matchups were determined differently. For example, if a k3 person were able to challenge a k1 person.
  • Options
    It's pretty clear to me that the 10/25/30/25/10 system is about controlling the population within each league and division, and by extension, the amount of crystals flowing into the economy from GAC. The squish functions like a Robin Hood system of robbing from the rich and giving to the poor (of each league) to initially squeeze the bell curve at the start of the season, since it will spread out during the season's play.

So long as nobody is relegated to a lower league or division as a result, I don't take issue with it, personally.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

So long as nobody is relegated to a lower league or division as a result, I don't take issue with it, personally.

It pushes everyone toward division 3 of their respective league, so there can be division changes as a result.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

It pushes everyone toward division 3 of their respective league, so there can be division changes as a result.
    Only indirectly.

The squish can result in your SR being below the new threshold for your current division but it does not change your division. I have been subject to this myself.

If you can gain enough SR to rise above the new threshold in the first week of the following season then you can remain in the higher division, otherwise.you get demoted at the end of that week.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Only indirectly.

The squish can result in your SR being below the new threshold for your current division but it does not change your division. I have been subject to this myself.

If you can gain enough SR to rise above the new threshold in the first week of the following season then you can remain in the higher division, otherwise.you get demoted at the end of that week.

I see, because the squish happens at the beginning of the season AFTER your league and division have already been established. That makes sense.