[ Developer Insights - Kit Reveal
Hello Holotable Heroes,
The Outrider, Dash Rendar's YT-2400 freighter, will soon be coming to the holotables and will lift Home One fleets. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this ship, it was originally introduced in Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire on Nintendo 64 on December 3, 1996, and later for Windows on September 17, 1997.
The introduction of this ship brings a few new mechanics to Galaxy of Heroes which we think are exciting: Data Transmission “Download” and new buff “Suprosa Supercomputer”.
Below, we take a dive into the developers’ motivations and inspirations while creating the kit for this new ship.The Basics:
- Rebel Support - Allies help through Crit hits, Dash gives out Turn Meter
- Crewed by Dash Rendar
- Contribute towards “Download”
- Provide Protection and Health recovery plus some nice buffs
- Speed Up and Tenacity Up for all Rebel allies
- Works with existing rebel fleet with Crit and Target Lock synergies
- Data Transmission: New Download mechanic - Each Crit Hit adds 5%, once at 100% you can activate the ability
- Big pay off with lots of healing plus gain 100% Critical Chance and an additional bonus based on the ship's role
- New buff (Suprosa Supercomputer)
- Unique attributes depending on your type (Attacker, Support, Tank)
- Dash’s ship is probably the most iconic thing to come out of Shadows of the Empire. The YT-2400 model has been seen in the Special Edition of A New Hope and in the Rebels episode “Iron Squadron”
- The Concealed Concussion Missiles fire in a pack of 5 because that’s how many you have during the Outrider levels in Shadows of the Empire.
- For some of the mechanics we looked at what Dash Rendar brought to the table, such as critical hits giving Turn Meter.
- One of the key moments in Shadows of the Empire has you disabling the Imperial freighter Suprosa and downloading the plans to the second Death Star. We pay homage to that with the Data Transmission granted ability.
- Similar to the Shadows of the Empire game, the Outrider fires from both the top and bottom turrets when it uses its Basic attack.
FAQ:Can this ship enable a Home One led fleet to one-shot the Executor?No, but it should help it hold its own against many other fleets it couldn’t previously.
- Charge up Data Transmission by landing critical hits with Rebel allies
- Start the battle with Special 1 (Concealed Concussion Missiles) to boost your team’s Turn Meter
- Flexible for starting or reinforcement placement
How do I get the Outrider?Outrider is available in a Galactic Chase starting on 4/8. It will be a 4 star unlock.Why is Outrider a 4 star unlock when StarFortress and TIE Echelon were not?Outrider is slotting into a pretty well established faction, while StarFortress and TIE Echelon were targeted at the two factions that were in need of dedicated tanks. Galactic Chases should be 4 star unlocks, the previous two were exceptions.What is the goal of Outrider?Outrider’s goal is similar to the recent additions of Tanks to Raddus and Finalizer. We aim to boost Rebel fleets and tighten up the second and third tier metas.Who gains Transmissions?Currently only Outrider gains TransmissionsWhy does the Outrider have the Rebel tag and Dash Rendar does not?Tags are extremely powerful tools in the design arsenal. Sometimes a unit may be missing a tag that seems extremely logical for it to have, and that is because there is an undesired interaction we can avoid by leaving a tag off. Prior to Outrider we’ve had the Razor Crest with the Bounty Hunter tag, and Mandalorian (Beskar Armor) without.