New heroes coming? Should I buy 15k Shards?

Hey all,

So with the new big update coming out at the end of the month, I was wondering if any new heroes were releasing, that I haven't read about.

Also, should I buy 15k shards and open Chrom packs x8 or should I wait until the big update?

Thanks,

-Dan

Replies

• Options
    Anyone?
  • Options
    That's going to be A LOT of packs to open until you reach 15,000 SHARDS!!! OMG
  • Options
    Kopfschuss wrote: »
    That's going to be A LOT of packs to open until you reach 15,000 SHARDS!!! OMG

Huh?
  • Options
    I'd wait for the update to come out first.. but the answer that comes to my mind right away, no.
  • Bluerock
    224 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    He's referring to your use of the term shards to refer to crystals. Shards in this game are the fragments of a full character. Crystals are the premium currency.

I wouldn't buy chromium unless you're going to spend $1500 or more on them. Crystals are much better used for energy refills. Buying the crystal vault and using it on chromium will only net you a bunch of 4* or less characters you won't be happy about.
  • Options
    Bluerock wrote: »
    He's referring to your use of the term shards to refer to crystals. Shards in this game are the fragments of a full character. Crystals are the premium currency.

I wouldn't buy chromium unless you're going to spend $1500 or more on them. Crystals are much better used for energy refills. Buying the crystal vault and using it on chromium will only net you a bunch of 4* or less characters you won't be happy about.

Oh, yeah that's what I meant, crystals.

It just seems really difficult to progress without getting packs, as I seem to be getting stomped in PvP, as well as having to have a good group for Galactic Wars and Battles as you level up.

What's the best way to play the game?
  • Options
    With the way that game meta and new features being added have been so unpredictable I'd wait and see how things unfold. With 15k crystals you could buy a heck of a lot of node refreshes to farm the specific character you want too.
  • Bluerock
    224 posts Member
    Options
    If you are OK with spending thousands on a mobile game, by all means purchase chromium. If not, just strategically plan who you are going to farm from cantina, cantina shipments, arena, GW and hard modes.

It will take time but you can very easily compete with those who dumped tons of cash without spending a penny. It just takes time.
  • Options
    FeepCunner wrote: »
    With the way that game meta and new features being added have been so unpredictable I'd wait and see how things unfold. With 15k crystals you could buy a heck of a lot of node refreshes to farm the specific character you want too.

You could do 3 Energy refreshes/2 Cantina Refreshes for 30 days. This doesnt even include what you earn from arena/dailies/gws.
  • Options
    FeepCunner wrote: »

Oh, what do you mean exactly? Although I've played a lot, I still don't see myself as knowledgeable about the game.
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    NmE_insane wrote: »

It just seems really difficult to progress without getting packs, as I seem to be getting stomped in PvP, as well as having to have a good group for Galactic Wars and Battles as you level up.

It's actually harder to progress if you buy packs unless you're willing to keep spending.

Reason being is that you're spending crystals to get completely random heroes that may still not help you. You can also get heroes that you currently can only get in packs which means they'll likely be stuck at the star value you got them at unless you keep buying packs to hope for more random copies for shards.

The better option is to read some strategies and go after heroes you can farm directly. And if you still want to spend some money, then use the crystals on refreshes to speed up you grinding.

You can find some good general tips in the strategy portion of this site as well as

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/9401/it-s-a-trap-avoiding-20-common-newcomer-pitfalls-in-swgoh/p1

http://www.swgohcantina.com/
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Options
    Yudoka wrote: »

It's actually harder to progress if you buy packs unless you're willing to keep spending.

Reason being is that you're spending crystals to get completely random heroes that may still not help you. You can also get heroes that you currently can only get in packs which means they'll likely be stuck at the star value you got them at unless you keep buying packs to hope for more random copies for shards.

The better option is to read some strategies and go after heroes you can farm directly. And if you still want to spend some money, then use the crystals on refreshes to speed up you grinding.

You can find some good general tips in the strategy portion of this site as well as

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/9401/it-s-a-trap-avoiding-20-common-newcomer-pitfalls-in-swgoh/p1

Awesome! I think I really get what you mean. You have smaller chances to get good heroes through packs because it's random and just shards, where specifically spamming a battle or buy shards with in-game currency from GW, SA, etc.

I'll check out the guide, thanks!
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options

Awesome! I think I really get what you mean. You have smaller chances to get good heroes through packs because it's random and just shards, where specifically spamming a battle or buy shards with in-game currency from GW, SA, etc.

Exactly!

I bought one pack for the 300 crystals (or whatever the cost) and got Ima-Gun Di. He's a cool character but to get more of his shards you need to progress pretty far into the game, and even then its still a very slow grind. So after I gained a few levels he was left behind due to me not being able to get more shards for him regularly and the crystals I used to buy the pack were mostly a waste.

EA is adding previously pack exclusive characters to regular farming locations over time so eventually you'll likely get the cool character anyway.

They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    What if they release new characters in a pack that doesn't cost crystals, but is purchased by RL currency right away? Then you'd risk sitting there with tons of crystals but nothing to buy for them. If you have a limited amount to spend, you're likely better off waiting until you see exactly what the offer will actually be.
  • Options
    Never buy chromium packs.
  • NmE_insane
    7 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Exactly!

I bought one pack for the 300 crystals (or whatever the cost) and got Ima-Gun Di. He's a cool character but to get more of his shards you need to progress pretty far into the game, and even then its still a very slow grind. So after I gained a few levels he was left behind due to me not being able to get more shards for him regularly and the crystals I used to buy the pack were mostly a waste.

EA is adding previously pack exclusive characters to regular farming locations over time so eventually you'll likely get the cool character anyway.

Okay sweet!

So, should I NOT spend any money then? Like, the $99 crystal package and use them to power grind battles and resets?

Also, what is the best and/or fastest way to make credits?
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    Options

Exactly!

Okay sweet!

So, should I NOT spend any money then? Like, the $99 crystal package and use them to power grind battles and resets?

That's totally up to you. If you're going to spend money on anything, make it crystals and then use those for refreshes on grinding (don't do it on arena until you have a full squad and full gear and are making a push for the top ranks). I'd read the guides on how much you should refresh though as the cost on each refresh increases exponentially (for example, first refresh for Cantina is 100, then 200, then 400, etc). So you may want to refresh twice and then wait a day for it to reset rather then blowing all the crystals in one day and getting a lot less than if you were to do it over a week.

I personally don't spend any money at all and usually do 1 Cantina refresh and 1-2 regular refreshes each day.
  • LeoRavus
    1165 posts Member
    Options

If you decided to do that I'd use them wisely. Only do normal energy refreshes up to 100 crystals and cantina refreshes up to 200 crystals for example. The more refreshes you do in a 24 hour period the more they cost until the next day. You could burn through 15k crystals fast if you continuously refresh your energy.
  • Options
    Depends on how you want to play. If you have the time and are trying to focus on a small number of characters for Arena and/or GW then use crystals to refresh so you can make more attempts to get the shards you want each day. If you're less interested in the pvp side of things and just want to recruit as many characters as you can and/or you just don't have the time to fight all the battles you'd have available with multiple refreshes then you could play like I do. I play as much as I can each day and mostly manage to use up my energy. I save the crystals I earn each day until I get enough for a Chromium pack.