Roster help! Lack of synergy taking its toll...

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and haven't really utilized it up until now. Here's my roster, I've been playing regularly since December, but having a hard time climbing the Arena ranks. I can win most battles, but get pummeled overnight. I've been in the top 30 not long ago, but lately fall out of the top 100 regularly, even with a nearly maxed squad.

ALk9KhN
TKmEjXE

I've tried out a lot of squads, but lately been using Sidious (lead), Rey, Daka, Barriss, and Poggle. Sometimes Phasma as lead instead of Sidious. I've been working on Han thinking that maybe a strong taunt could help, so we'll see how that goes. I know I am seriously lacking in group synergy, but I'm not seeing a clear path forward. How do I fix my team??? Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• Options
    Not sure why the Imgur link didn't work:

http://imgur.com/ALk9KhN
    http://imgur.com/TKmEjXE
  • Options
    Wow.. Ya, your toons are all over the place. I'd probably go with a speed team. QGJ lead, lumi, yoda, Rey, maybe Han would work as your taunter.
  • Options
    Speed is important for now, try QGJ (Lead), Lumi, Sid, Rey, and Phasma. I run this team except I have GS instead of Rey and finish QGJ to 6* first since you will be targeted a lot more since he is 5* and low lvl.
  • Options
    Maybe Daka instead of Han. Daka will at least get a few people to question whether or not testing rng will be worth it
  • SidiousIsPikachu
    771 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    barris is a weak spot defensively, since he can be ignored and the meta allows people to remove toon before healer do something... and than another in next round... farm QGJ, dont use yet, 5* won't be strong enough, but use when he's 6* alrdy as leader.
    rey have to be 100% pick for your team, she's the core attacker for you.
    would use atm: Phasma(L), rey, daka, han, Ig88/lumi - depends if you need aoe (like you know they have a RG that will taunt when their attacker is low, you'll need IG88 AoE over lumi).
    Phasma have to be leader atm over sidious because: Rey, daka, han, ig, lumi... all of them have effect they can have while basic atc, in defense, it can be crucial and change the way the game is going. rey can foresight, daka can stun, han turn meter, ig healing immu, lumi evasion... its better than crit in team i suggested.

When you get QGJ to 6... QGJ (L), Rey, Lumi, Han, Daka.
  • Options
    DanTheMan wrote: »
    Speed is important for now, try QGJ (Lead), Lumi, Sid, Rey, and Phasma. I run this team except I have GS instead of Rey and finish QGJ to 6* first since you will be targeted a lot more since he is 5* and low lvl.

Phasma is worthless when not in lead. Han will give you the turn meter manipulation you want. Sid is not viable in high level arena. If your goal is to be in the top 50 or top 5 even, you can run yoda. His battle meditation neuters any toon counting on placing negative effects on your team. Before the current dodge meta, it was all speed. I ran yoda with QGJ at 5 stars and regularly finished at the top. He also has foresight.
  • Options
    @pnutbutter IMO she's not useless, but yeah Han will be better than her. I still run her and my current position is 37. Didnt see yoda lol. My shard has plenty of Sids in top 50 as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Should have done this earlier, spent a lot of time farming some of these toons... I love Barriss' heal for GW but I can see it not being so helpful here. No one mentioned Poggle, but he has had a huge impact for me in the past, is he still worth considering?

I'm going to try Phasma (L), Rey, Han, Daka, and Lumi (SidiousIsPikachu's suggestion) today, will try QGJ once I get him to at least 6. If it's not going well, will try mixing in Yoda.
  • Options
    Only use yoda at 5 stars if you lead with QGJ. Yoda will go first. You can either BM or basic attack for foresight.
  • pnutbutter
    550 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @pnutbutter IMO she's not useless, but yeah Han will be better than her. I still run her and my current position is 37. Didnt see yoda lol. My shard has plenty of Sids in top 50 as well.

How mature is your shard? I started at the end of December. By now, the top 20 have easily 8 7star toons to choose from. Even the f2p players I bet. Only one runs phasma lead and he/she drops like a rock after making their run into the top 20. I, myself, have 15 7star toons. 12 of them are max gear till lvl70. My main are maxed gear till lvl72. 90% are dooku leads and the rest QGJ.
  • Options
    @pnutbutter December as well, but I have 5 7* 3 6* and a lot of 4* just in case for meta change. I run QGJ (L), Lumi, Dooku 6*, GS, and Phasma max gear 71 and Yeah my shard has Dooku and QGJ everywhere. I do just fine lol
  • Options
    pnutbutter wrote: »

Phasma is worthless when not in lead.
    First sentence - false.
  • Options
    Your arena team sounds more like a GW team that could do really well, in GW. So lets start from scratch. Sidious fits in any team. Good damage, nice dodge vs Jedi, and pretty good AoE and nice unique. Daka is pretty good on defense when RNG is on your side. Stuns crazy. Poggle another toon that is easy to use, offense up and he did his job. So you can keep those but you dont have to. Now Rey is a must since you have her just use her and abuse all the teams you face. She'll easily be the first char most people would want to KO. But she'll get a KO guaranteed before leaving. You can add yoda cause well he has a great kit speed and damage. Phasma would probably be your best leader from the looks of what you have. And she gives great TM and advantage lets her attack even harder. You have an anakin i have gained a lot of interest in, so with the chars you have and if I had them maxed I'd probably go
    Phasma Lead Rey Yoda Anakin and Daka/Sid. If you can max your Dooku I'd throw him in as Leader. And forget daka and sid. But since phasma leader ability wouldn't work so well with your those chars since they're not FO, I'd probably run your Sid lead and keep Phasma/Daka Rey skyguy and Yoda. Btw I rank 1 and drop usually to 14 overnight. cheers lad
  • Options
    Salgado9 wrote: »

First sentence - false.

It's not false in the context of arena. Especially on defense. There are handfuls of better toons. By the time phasma goes, one toon is already gone. AI procs phasmas aoe first. Big deal. One or two more toons dead. What's your experience with using phasma in arena? Do you place top 5 and drop less than ten spots in 23 hours? I'll attack a phasma team all day before wanting to risk bad rng with a rey, leia, fotp, QGJ, GS, RP, daka, dooku, RG, Han, any droid comp
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    The problem with much advice in this section of the forums is that much of arena recommendation is very dependent on server age. Phasma is a great leader - on "middle-aged" servers. On a mature one, I barely see a Phasma in the top 50 - leaders are all 7* Dooku and 7* QGJ. Yoda at anything less than 6* is pointless - but on a middle-aged server you can sneak by with a 5* one.

Droid teams can hang tough on middle-aged servers. On mature servers, IG86 and IG88 are usually both obliterated before they even fire.

In that vain, throwing out absolutes isn't always helpful.

Back to the OP -

Rey at 7* is an auto-include. QGJ is a little weak for a December server, but you could try him in the lead.

Daka and Rey - make the attackers choose (or choose not to bother with you!)

So if you have QGJ+Daka+Rey, I'd throw in Poggle+IG88.

Mainly for this reason:
    QGJ will call in an assist - no matter who it is, you bring in a special ability. Rey will get foresight, Daka will stun, Poggle will ability block or 88 will heal block.
    Second, attackers are going to have a brutal choice on who to try to take out first...do they go after IG88 before he can fire off his multi? or Rey? And if so, do they leave Daka to rez?

Honestly, given your team, that would be the team I would be most afraid of. You could also sub in Lumi for Poggle. That way she could mass-heal Rey/88 if they were damaged but survived.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    The problem with much advice in this section of the forums is that much of arena recommendation is very dependent on server age. Phasma is a great leader - on "middle-aged" servers. On a mature one, I barely see a Phasma in the top 50 - leaders are all 7* Dooku and 7* QGJ. Yoda at anything less than 6* is pointless - but on a middle-aged server you can sneak by with a 5* one.

Droid teams can hang tough on middle-aged servers. On mature servers, IG86 and IG88 are usually both obliterated before they even fire.

In that vain, throwing out absolutes isn't always helpful.

Back to the OP -

Rey at 7* is an auto-include. QGJ is a little weak for a December server, but you could try him in the lead.

Daka and Rey - make the attackers choose (or choose not to bother with you!)

So if you have QGJ+Daka+Rey, I'd throw in Poggle+IG88.

Mainly for this reason:
    QGJ will call in an assist - no matter who it is, you bring in a special ability. Rey will get foresight, Daka will stun, Poggle will ability block or 88 will heal block.
    Second, attackers are going to have a brutal choice on who to try to take out first...do they go after IG88 before he can fire off his multi? or Rey? And if so, do they leave Daka to rez?

Honestly, given your team, that would be the team I would be most afraid of. You could also sub in Lumi for Poggle. That way she could mass-heal Rey/88 if they were damaged but survived.

This is a pretty well thought out post. I agree with your assessment on seeking advice from those on different shard maturity. I speak from a mature December shard where mostly everyone in the top 50 has a full 7* squad. The advice I give is because I play on a more mature shard, it's already had several evolutions of meta.

I also agree on making a team where others need to pick their poison. I rarely drop more than 10 spots if I have daka in my roster. Choosing Daka over an assist caller or high dps room is a way to make the potential opponent look elsewhere. At this point when in my shard where any top 50 team can beat anyone, it's best to just make someone think for a moment that bad rng can screw them over.
  • Salgado9
    529 posts Member
    Options

First sentence - false.

It's not false in the context of arena. Especially on defense. There are handfuls of better toons. By the time phasma goes, one toon is already gone. AI procs phasmas aoe first. Big deal. One or two more toons dead. What's your experience with using phasma in arena? Do you place top 5 and drop less than ten spots in 23 hours? I'll attack a phasma team all day before wanting to risk bad rng with a rey, leia, fotp, QGJ, GS, RP, daka, dooku, RG, Han, any droid comp

Lol kiddo I place 1st. I assure you Phasma is much better than what you think. And I assure you, that you're the type of person to have the same arena team that everyone runs. And the peoblem in the forums is that everyone advises to run QGJ led teams with a bunch of quick attackers such as Rey or Leia. Yeah maybe Phasma isn't the best on AI but she can handle herself just fine. VM on first or second turn is fine. Trust me I know from experience. I fight the same QGJ and Dooku led teams everyday.
  • Options
    I've been running a phenomenal team lately. Usually in top 3 constantly and keep in mind, all are 7* and maxed on gear for the most part, level 73.

QGJ (Lead)

RG for tanking when my one squishy gets weak.

FOTP liquidates enemies immediately. But squishy, which is why you must have RG.

Genosian Soldier hits super hard in both regular and his added extra special attack.

Daka for stun capabilities, revives toons fast and can toss a weak heal when needed.

Sometimes I switch out FOTP with Yoda, but FOTP is a killer, plain and simple.

I've been playing a long time, so it takes forever to star out toons, gear em out to max and all their abilities to level 7. But like I said, I generally chew thru any team I fight, I know, AI sucks, but when I walk away and come back, I'm still 1-3 and occasionally knocked down to maybe 8 or 9.

Hope this helps.
  • Options

First sentence - false.

Lol kiddo I place 1st. I assure you Phasma is much better than what you think. And I assure you, that you're the type of person to have the same arena team that everyone runs. And the peoblem in the forums is that everyone advises to run QGJ led teams with a bunch of quick attackers such as Rey or Leia. Yeah maybe Phasma isn't the best on AI but she can handle herself just fine. VM on first or second turn is fine. Trust me I know from experience. I fight the same QGJ and Dooku led teams everyday.

Kiddo? Trying to belittle me because you don't know what you're talking about? What a loser.
  • Options
    You're soooo experienced but you make a thread begging for a Daka to help you in dark side mode. Lol

You're soooo convinced phasma not in lead is the best, you create a thread asking for help because you are "struggling" against the current meta lol
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/22408/been-ranking-1-but#latest

You're soooo against the meta and cookie cutter teams, you created multiple threads about how you finished in arena and that you're running dooku in the lead.

Lol you hypocrite
  • Options
    @Nikoms565 How would you know your shards maturity? The game came out at the end November... I'm mid December? I think my server is very mature. I think every shard is different in general, but I agree on your points
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    All shards are based on when the players all started. So you're on a mid-December shard. Players that installed the game around the same time are placed on the same shard.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Btw I rank 1 and drop usually to 14 overnight. cheers lad

@Salgado9 which team you are running ?
  • Salgado9
    529 posts Member
    Options
    Btw I rank 1 and drop usually to 14 overnight. cheers lad

@Salgado9 which team you are running ?

Dooku Led or Phasma Led Kylo Fives Sidious. Usually end a match with Three chars at full health. When the update comes I should be fine since I got a little bit of bulk and some with speed. But I'll probably replace dooku since QGJ and Yoda will be faster than Dooku. And well dooku was important since he went before QGJ.
  • Options
    yea.. you dont drop 14 overnight, i call **** :) . phasma kylo sidious very bad defensively, AoE teams are not good. personally, vs that team, i put aayla leader and win easy with jedi team (40% tenacity bonus and 5% heal whenever resist effect - means simply that sid healing me, phasma healing me, fives heal me, kylo heal me, dooku might heal me...
    and if i can do a team of Jedis to win that anti-jedi team... yea. bad defensively, not dropping 14 over night.
  • Options
    Well suffice it to say my team is doing much better! Thanks for the input everyone.

- Went 5 for 5 yesterday, from 91 to 39 (not uncommon)
    - Didn't drop at all overnight or so far today (very uncommon)
    - 2 for 2 so far today, up to 26 (my highest ranking so far)

I guess it shows that I don't play many videogames :P The only other game I've played in the last 10 years is Starcraft 2... Anyway, on to my next arena battle!
  • Robdd
    111 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah I looked at your toons, impressive 7 star Rey. Get Barliss out you will finish top 20 to top 50 easy. Good luck. I do agree your Yodi needs to be 6 stars or he's not viable in Arena, I don't care how old your server is.
  • Options
    Yeah I got Rey my first day playing the game from a Chromium data card, I had no idea how lucky that was at the time, been my favorite toon all along. Loving having Han in the mix, glad I started farming him a while ago. Went 5 for 5 again today, up to number 13 and haven't dropped a single time since my roster overhaul. I am the only person on my shard in the top 20 that isn't running a Dooku or QGJ lead, so we'll see what happens. In the meantime, back to spending insane amounts of energy on miserable payout gear...